30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

This Is Sharks Territory!


Another strong season.  Another trip to the playoffs.  Another playoff exit.

But that's okay.  There's always next year... or the year after that... or the year after that.  When it comes to the San Jose Sharks, I'm a "glass is half full" kind of guy.  Year in and year out, Doug Wilson and company make sure the team is stocked with talent.  And I have no doubt that next season, they'll be in the hunt again.

But before I wrap up this season, I thought I'd share my recent Shark hunting experience.  Last Saturday, I went out to the San Jose Sharks practice facility to grab some autographs and most of the players didn't disappoint.

I was able to start and finish my newest project, which is my second This Is Sharks Territory  sign:


Last time, I focused on grabbing the whole team.  This time I wanted to reserve this piece for the biggest names on the team.

Logan Couture #39Joe Pavelski #8


Joe Thornton #19Patrick Marleau #12


Antti Niemi #31

Whenever you see a fan walking around San Jose in a Sharks jersey... nine out of ten times, it'll be one of these guys.  They're the biggest names on the team and all five of them were cool about signing autographs after practice.

Doug Wilson GM

But the guy I was most excited about meeting was the Sharks' general manager, Mr. Doug Wilson.  This was the first time in I've had the opportunity to grab his graph and he did it with a huge smile on his face.  I always imagined him to one of those guys with a great personality and he definitely didn't disappoint.

In addition to the sign, I also had the pleasure of meeting Raffi Torres for the first time.

Raffi Torres #13

I really disliked this guy when he played on Vancouver, but now that he's in San Jose... he's one of my favorites.  I didn't have any cards, so I pulled out my last blank puck.  I'm pretty excited about adding this puck to my collection.  Hopefully, the Sharks will work something out and sign him, instead of losing him to free agency.

And finally, I had one photo of Couture left from my previous trip to their practice facility.

Logan Couture #39

It's official... the torch has been passed in San Jose and Couture is now one of the leaders on the team.  He's also one of the most popular players on the team.

Thank you for another great season guys.  Enjoy your offseason, get some rest,  and let's try this again next season.

Happy Wednesday and sayonara!

13 comments:

Yankeejetsfan said...

Awesome successes. I love that, for the most part, hockey players are some of the most easily accessible professional sports players and are willing signers.

I was rooting for San Jose to take out L.A., but alas, it was not to be. Congratulations on a great season out in San Jose and good luck next season.

Greg Zakwin said...

Nice gets! I still need to hit up a Ducks' practice.

Stealing Home said...

Those are great gets and it must have been loads of fun just to be there and hunt down all the autos...
but some of those guys sigs look like they sign with thier gloves on.
Just joking! Great stuff. :)

sg488 said...

Best way to collect autographs,seeing them signed by your own eyes ,so you know that they are legitimate.

Sean said...

Wow sweet autographs. The sign looks awesome with sigs from the stars. It's cool that the team's superstars sign at practices. At Blackhawks practices its usually only bit players with a star once in a while The Doug Wilson looks cool too I am trying to get his autograph also

Anonymous said...

To put a positive spin on it, at least the Sharks have never had to debate whether or not to touch the Campbell Bowl.

gcrl said...

Go kings!

Fuji said...

My buddy obtains and sells autographs for a living and he always says that hockey players are the easiest to obtain. MMA fighters sign a lot too.

Fuji said...

Totally agree.

Fuji said...

Been wanting to add a IP Wilson for years. I was pretty stoked to hear he was at the morning skate.

Fuji said...

Congratulations... best of luck against Chicago.

Matt C. said...

Congrats. I've always been wanting to graph the Sharks, but every time they come to Anaheim they are almost impossible to get to. Maybe I'll make the trip up to S.J. next season for a Ducks/Sharks match up and try and graph there.

Fuji said...

You should. Most of the Sharks are very willing signers and if you're able to attend a mid week practice when school is in session, then you'll have zero problems getting autographs.