30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, May 26, 2013

PC Spotlight #22: Topps Magazine Collection

Issue #1

Did you collect baseball cards in the early 90's?  Do you enjoy reading articles relating to baseball cards?  Are you a fan of oddball cards, like the ones you find in magazines?

If you answered "yes" to any of these questions, then you might want to track down a few issues of Topps Magazine.  Each magazine contained articles on sports and trading cards, interviewsproduct reviews, and much, much more.  As a bonus, each issue had free trading cards and posters.

The magazine was published four times a year for four years straight (1990 to 1993).  Jose Canseco was featured on the inaugural issue back in the Winter of 1990.

Issues #2, #3, and #4

I remember owning a few of the issues back in the 90's, but over the years they were recycled.  Fast forward to a few years ago... and I started seeing these pop up here and there at the flea market.

That's when I decided to go out and track down all sixteen issues.

Issues #5, #6, and #7

I was able to pick up most of the early issues without any problem... especially issue #6 with Barry Bonds and Bobby Bonilla.  It seems like every other week, I'll come across that particular issue at the flea market.

Issues #8 and #9

Issue #10 AL and NL Covers

While putting the collection together, I also discovered that Topps released two covers for their 10th issue.  I found the Frank Thomas cover first, but the HoJo cover eluded me for almost a year.

Issues #11, #12, and #13

Issues #14, #15, and #16

In 1993, Topps decided to include oversized rookie cards of Dennis Eckersley, Dave Winfield, George Brett, and Nolan Ryan.  These are some of the coolest oversized, oddball issues around.  I'm actually trying to track down extra copies of these issues, so I can rip them out and display them.

Sadly that year also marked the end of Topps Magazine.  It's crazy to think that these magazines are already twenty years old.  Like most of the cards produced during that era... Topps Magazine will never pay for anyone's college tuition.

But if you're looking for some cheap, cool cards and excellent bathroom literature, than I highly suggest you grab yourself an issue or two.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

11 comments:

Yankeejetsfan said...

I remember these magazines. I never really picked up any as I never saw a Yankee on the cover, but read my friends issues.

Anonymous said...

I subscribed to the first year of Topps magazine, but it didn't do much for me so I didn't renew.

I got rid of the magazines a number of years ago, but first carefully removed the staples so I could remove the card sheets intact... Not that those are really worth anything, either.

Anonymous said...

I want to say that the magazines came in a 8"x10" inch envelope, to protect the valuable magazine contained within. :-)

Commishbob said...

I had one or two of these but 1990 was about the time I was bailing on baseball card collecting so I never subscribed.

The Angels In Order said...

I too had a first year subscription, but the only intact cover I have left is Nolan Ryan. I think I have all the card sheets somewhere though.

John Bateman said...

I still got the 1991 Poster of all the cards from that set that year.

Jason Presley said...

I never realized, until seeing them all together, that the cover designs mimicked the design of that year's baseball set (except for the 1993).

Fuji said...

I have a few sealed copies. They came in mylar bags with the address labels attached to the bag, so it wouldn't damage the magazine.

Fuji said...

Very observant. I never caught that.

Jafronius said...

Never heard of the magazine, thanks for the info. Did Topps ever give a bad review of their own product?

Greg Zakwin said...

That Griffey issue is sweet.