30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Random Pack of Kindness


The Night Owl dropped off a present on Monday.  Inside was an assortment of Oakland A's cards for my collection.



But there were a few that deserved extra special attention.  First up... a 1975 Topps Mini of Jim Holt:



I know what you're thinking... Who the heck is Jim Holt?  According to Wikipedia, he was a successful pinch hitter.  However he had a .271 batting average as a starter and hit .216 as a pinch hitter, so you can't always believe what you read on Wikipedia.

Next up... 



No label, no problem.  Anytime I can add a new Eck to my collection, there's no room for complaints.

Batting third...



Damn... I miss my boy Kurt.  I was bummed to see him get traded, but I think the move to Washington has helped his numbers.

Speaking of numbers...



A's fans are looking forward to another season with Cespedes in the lineup.  This guy can hit and hopefully he can lead them back to the postseason.


Last, but not least... there's this 1989 Baseball Card Magazine card of Terry Steinbach:


I'm a sucker for oddball issues... especially when they try to copy Topps vintage designs.

Thanks Greg for the awesome pack of A's cards.  I promise to give these cards a nice home.

Happy Wednesday and sayonara!


3 comments:

night owl said...

Figured you'd appreciate the Steinbach. Baseball Card Magazine was ahead of its time considering how long Heritage has lasted.

Fuji said...

It's awesome! Definitely a sign of the times. Baseball cards inside of baseball card magazines are some of the coolest oddballs out there.

Greg Zakwin said...

sweet Cespedes!