30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, March 1, 2013

Blog Trade #27: The Underdog Card Collector

In January, The Underdog Card Collector reached out and inquired about exchanging some cardboard.  He's a fellow San Diego Padres fan, so I've shipped him a handful of Gwynns and some Padres duplicates.  Since then, we've been going back and forth with a few blind trades.

Two weeks ago, he shipped me a package of Oakland A's and San Jose Sharks cards for my collection.  Here's a sampling of some of my favorites:



I love me some 90's inserts and oddballs.  I've never seen that 1994 Ultra Firemen Dennis Eckersley before... that's a truly amazing card.

Another card that stood out was this 1969 Topps Ted Kubiak:



Just like last night's 1978 Topps Bobby Winkles... I saw this card and wondered... "who the heck is Ted Kubiak?".  Here are five things I discovered on Wikipedia and Baseball Reference:

#1  In 1961, the Kansas City Athletics signed Kubiak as a free agent.

#2  On Friday, April 14th, 1967 Kubiak made his MLB debut when he pinch hit for Phil Roof.

#3  Kubiak shares the Milwaukee Brewers' single game RBI record (7) with two other players.

#4  He was part of the Oakland A's teams that won three consecutive World Series in a row ( 1972, 1973, and 1974).

#5  After his playing career, Kubiak went on to manage several minor league teams, including the Modesto A's.

Thank you for the cards Underdog Card Collector.  I'll try to find some more Gwynns and fellow Padres players to add to your collection.

Happy Friday and sayonara!

No comments: