30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Chronicles of Cardfoolery #5: 2012 Leaf Best of Baseball Cut Signatures


Leaf has some serious stones!

I mean... seriously.  Who the heck came up with the autographed "stone" idea?  I'm sure somebody lost their job over this, because this epitomizes "cardfoolery".  For those who are unfamiliar with my made up word, it means a foolish sports card creation.

On the other hand, who am I to judge?  I actually went out and purchased the pair.

The fact is... they haven't held their value on the secondary market.  Which means that if you're looking for an affordable way to collect autographs of Tony Gwynn or Greg Maddux, than these cards might be for you.

Okay... it's your turn to chime in.  I'm looking for other cards to feature in my "cardfoolery" series:

Can you think of any sports cards or sports card products that are pretty ridiculous?

Happy Thursday and sayonara!


Extra Edition

After some research, I discovered that these "stones" were originally used on Southland Plastics figurines in the 90's.  Here's what the Tony Gwynn figure looks like:

16 comments:

cynicalbuddha said...

1993 Milkbone cards still crack me up.

Greg Zakwin said...

an auto is an auto haha.

night owl said...

Anytime they cut up an actual card or document just because it has a signature on it and turn it into a "card" is the perfect definition of "card foolery."

The Lost Collector said...

Those cards that were also CD Roms. Can't imagine many people ever thought those were cool, even at the time.

Roy-Z said...

Any card with John Lackey on it.

He's not a real dude, right?

Anonymous said...

stones, very very odd. nice research in finding the answer.

Community Gum said...

Hmmm. So does that mean there are a bunch of figures out there with no auto when it should? And the numbering came from the figure? Very interesting.
I've thought about picking those up, but the cardfoolery keeps me from pulling the trigger.
--Jon

gcrl said...

yes, i agree that the tristar signa cuts (and other releases like them) are pure card foolery. but that hasn't kept me from picking up a few on the cheap.

jamicfin said...

Haha.... Cardfoolery...

And no, autographed stones pretty much top the list for me...

Commishbob said...

LOL at Night Owl's CD ROM 'card' mention. I have the Ripken here someplace. I ought to see if it'll play.

My first thought was Sportfilcs. I hated those things and never knew what anyone saw in them.

Fuji said...

Love me some oddball sets. I have never seen these... heading off to eBay to find one.

Fuji said...

Yup... total cardfoolery!

Fuji said...

Hey... I still think those cards (or should I say cds) are cool ;-)

Fuji said...

Not 100% sure... maybe Leaf purchased a bunch of these figures and popped off the stones? Maybe the figure company only built the figures based on the number of presales? As for the numbering... that's probably why Beckett didn't put the serial numbering on the holder.

Fuji said...

It still cracks me up that Tristar used a signed mailing label for my Steve Sax autograph. Since when is a white mailing label a cut signature?

Fuji said...

Lol... I bought a ton of Sportflics. Especially when they first came out. I thought they were the coolest cards ever.