30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, December 31, 2012

My 2012 Report Card

One year ago, I created my 2012 Hobby Goals.  It's time to see whether or not I completed any of them.  Since I'm a teacher, I figured I'd give myself a grade for each goal and calculate a Hobby GPA for myself.  Let's check out my results:

1.  Create a cardboard budget and stick to it.  F

I kept track of my cardboard budget for a little over a month.  In other words, I failed.


2.  Continue to focus on singles and sets, instead of packs and boxes.  B+

Did I buy any boxes this year?  Yes.  But, I'd estimate that 95% of my money was spent on singles, supplies, and complete sets.


3.  Complete at least one of the sets I'm currently building.  A+

I ended up completing three sets in 2012:  1984 Topps baseball, 2008 Finest Topps TV Autographs, and 2008 UD Masterpieces football Captured on Canvas.


4.  Shorten the length of my articles, but maintain an average of three posts a week.  A-

There were a few long winded posts (including this one), but for the most part I think I met this goal.


5.  Continue the tradition of running my contest this summer.  A

Another summer... another contest.  Mission accomplished.


6.  Add five new sports card trifectas to my collection.  A

I completed exactly five new trifectas in 2012:  Nate Robinson, Mark Fidrych, Kirby Puckett, Chipper Jones, and  Fernando Valenzuela.


7.  Add a 1909-11 T206 card to my collection.  F

I have several cards targeted on eBay, but I never found one at a reasonable price.


8.  Stay positive and have fun, while maintaining and building more friendships with fellow bloggers and collectors.  A

These past twelve months have been rough, but one of the bright spots in my life is this hobby.  I truly appreciate the friendships I've made through this blog.

Okay, let's go ahead and see what my GPA is for 2012...


2.916 GPA

Oh no!  My parents would not be happy campers if I brought these grades home.  But I guess that's what happens when you earn two F's.  Tomorrow I'll be posting my 2013 Hobby Goals.  Let's just hope I'm able to bring up my Hobby GPA.

Happy New Year's Eve!  Stay safe and thank you to everyone who supported my blog in 2012.  Sayonara!

6 comments:

Doc said...

I think the T206 should be graded as an Incomplete. Obviously you tried, but circumstances didn't allow. That should raise the GPA some!

Fuji said...

You're right! Effort should be taken into consideration.

Zippy Zappy said...

Personally I don't think anyone's capable of getting a A on 1 or 2. Everyone sets a limit, but go over it until life hits them hard financially. And every once in a while all collectors get urges to bust some packs/boxes. You deserve an A (or at least a B) for effort on both :).
Happy New Year (Japan left 2012 in the dust 2 hours ago)!

Anonymous said...

Any year you knock off and '85 or earlier Topps set is a good year.

Those T206's are impossible to steal for reasonable prices. Who are these people out there that are always bidding on every single one to pop up on ebay? (I've yet to get one either, though I'm always on the look out)

Fuji said...

Happy New Year! In terms of spending, it's hard to say if I went over budget or not... but I gave myself an F based on the fact that I gave up keeping track. This year, I won't even waste my time trying to track my spending. Instead, I'm allowing myself a certain dollar amount dedicated towards the hobby... and I'll do my best not go over that amount.

Fuji said...

I have no idea... but everyday at least 3 or 4 new T206's from my wantlist pop up and every time they sell for decent money. It's pretty insane.

Happy New Year and have a safe and happy 2013.