30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Set Showcase #26: 2008 UD Masterpieces Captured On Canvas

Twenty months ago, I started a mission.  The mission was to complete the 2008 UD Masterpieces "Captured on Canvas" football set.  I was able to acquire most of them through my case break, making trades on sports card forums, and buying them every now and then online.  But after a few months into the project, I hit a wall and couldn't find any of these guys:  DeMarcus Ware, Tony Romo, Matt Forte, Steven Jackson, Chad Johnson, and Devin Hester.

However, I refused to quit and relentlessly tracked down the remaining six cards, one by one.  And earlier this month, I finally found the last two pieces of the puzzle:



I had missed out on the Hester a couple of times, but had never seen the Ocho Cinco and actually started to question its existence.  Then last month, I found both of them over at Dave and Adam's Card World for $6.95 and $4.80 respectively.

And now for your view pleasure, I present to you... my 2008 UD Masterpieces "Captured on Canvas" set:














As far as I know, this is a 57 card set, that was initially suppose to be 60 cards.  However, I've never seen these three cards:


CC28 Fred Taylor
CC33 Jeff Garcia
CC34 Jeremy Shockey

I've seen a couple of Jeff Garcia patch variations, so it's possible that they made patch cards for Taylor and Shockey too.  But I've never seen jersey cards for those three guys and Beckett doesn't list them on their checklist, so I assume Upper Deck didn't release them.

What about you?


Do you have any white whales that you're currently chasing?

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

22 comments:

Roy-Z said...

2011 Topps Chrome Red Refractor JP Arencibia. It'll complete my rainbow.

stusigpi said...

Oh come on man a quick look at my Patch set(s) would have shown you that they made all 60. No, UD didn't make the 3 you named for the jersey set.

Congratulations.

Unknown said...

Congratulations, that's awesome!

Hackenbush said...

Congrats to you. I guess I have a white whale. There's a 2007 Ron Santo relic card in the UD Sweet Spot set. They only come up on Ebay every so often and they always get away from me. Mostly it's that I can't see spending autograph prices for a relic card (which is what the card always goes for). Still it's a nice looking card and I would like one.

Unknown said...

Congratulations,
I wanna see 57 posts 1 per cards about the player! (maybe not before Xmas, but the new year!)

Hope all is well in Fujiland

Greg Zakwin said...

congrats Fuji! a Koufax auto has long been a White Whale.

night owl said...

Very nice.

No real white whales at the moment. Just a whole bunch of medium-to-large sized elusive fish.

Commishbob said...

Two for me, A Sadaharu Oh menko card and the Jim Brown rookie. The JB is just a matter of me getting up off the $$ as there are plenty of them around. The Oh card is another story all together. I don't think I've seen one in person.

gcrl said...

A 1978 Topps ed goodson signed card would be nice.

Anonymous said...

All the cards at the Top of my want list are only White because of the green they would cost me. I know right where to find them.

As far as difficult to find stuff, I'm always on the hunt for scarcer 2005 Topps Rookie Cup Wallach's. Allegedly there are Gold/Silver versions of the base card #'d to 1 and 5 respectively.

There are also Chrome and Refractor Rookie Reprints #'d to 25 and 15. I've got one each but would love to complete the "set"

dayf said...

All my White Whales are older than my mother...

Any original King Kelly card (preferably Boston, but I'll take what I can get)
Any Boston NL 1909 Ramly card
1935 Goudey Babe Ruth
1940 Play Ball Casey Stengel
1953 Topps Satchel Paige (or Yogi, or Jackie, or a dozen others)
1954 Topps Hank Aaron.

I will probably never get most of these but I'm enough of a scrounge where I think I'll find a couple in my price range eventually.

Fuji said...

Best of luck!

Fuji said...

Lol... yeah, should have checked. Glad to hear I'm finished @ 57... was wondering if I'd ever find those last two.

Fuji said...

Thanks!

Fuji said...

You weren't kidding. Looks like there's one relic card for every 10 autographs in that product. Best of luck!

Fuji said...

Thanks Martyn!

Hmmm... maybe I'll start a separate "set specific" blog and show them off. ;-)

Fuji said...

I'd love to hunt down one of those too. Best of luck!

Fuji said...

Thanks. Sounds like you have the right idea. I'd much rather have a bunch of medium fish, than a whale. We are talking about pieces of cardboard, right?

Fuji said...

Count me in for the Oh. What the heck, I'd like a Jim Brown rookie too. However, I'm sure you'll acquire those two a lot faster than me.

Fuji said...

That 1978 Topps Dodgers autograph project is pretty awesome. Best of luck!

Fuji said...

Best of luck on those Wallach's... especially the 1/1.

Fuji said...

Lol... most of mine are younger than my nieces & nephews. I'd love to have any of the cards you've listed, but they're way out of my league.

I hope you find some of these at prices you're willing to pay.