30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, September 7, 2020

Three Pack Monday


Labor Day rules.  It represents a three-day weekend... which also means that I only have a four-day workweek.  Plus it's one of a handful of days where I get to hang out with my brother and catch up.

Let's celebrate with the opening of three packs (courtesy of SumoMenkoMan), two PWE's (courtesy of Kerry @ Cards on Cards), and a very special birthday present (courtesy of my best friend):

First up is a Series Two pack of 1990 Topps Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles:

              

The pack provided the cracked stick of bubble gum seen above plus five cards and a sticker:



I'm not going to claim to be a huge TMNT fan, but there was a time when I really, really wanted to own the original comic books.

Next up is a pack of 1988 Donruss Pop-Ups:

              

Remember when Donruss baseball cards featured logos and included puzzle piecesThis was an oddball issue that featured MLB All-Stars and a special pop-up card.  Here's a look at the cards I pulled:

       

Did you know that Terry Steinbach won the All-Star MVP Award?  I didn't.  Or if I did, I completely forgot.

The Pop-Up checklist is comprised of the eighteen starters and two managers.  I was hoping to pull one of the three A's in the set or maybe a Gooden, Ripken, or Henderson.  Here's who I ended up pulling:

       

Tom Kelly is a bonafide MLB manager who led the Minnesota Twins to two World Series titles, but he's probably the last guy I was hoping to pull from this pack.

And last, but not least is a pack of this year's Topps National Baseball Card Day:

       

Each pack contains a header card and five player cards:

       

Solid pack.  Everyone except Bell went into either a binder or a personal collection.

Next up were a pair of PWE's that contained some Oakland Athletics for my collection:

       

Considering I've never seen a pack or a box of 2020 Bowman in the wild, I'm pretty happy to add some singles to my collectionKerry also tossed in a new Reggie for my collection and this Big Mac:

       

The thing I like about this
card is that it features McGwire with the A's... even though he was coming off his record breaking home run season with the Cardinals.  Gotta imagine this was sort of an anomaly.

And I'll round things out with this homemade "walnut" Yoda that my best friend made me:


There's a story behind this gift... but it's time for my afternoon nap... so I'll save it for another day.

Thank you Ryan, Kerry, and Jen for these collectibles and this one of a kind Star Wars collectible.

Happy Labor Day and sayonara!

17 comments:

Elliptical Man said...

Voting for the Posey.

The Yoda's nice, but is not a card.

Peter K Steinberg said...

What a nice group of cards. Pulling a manager card is really kind of an insult. In terms you might appreciate, it's like trying to take a nap but being unable to. Hope you had a good nap and a great day.

shoeboxlegends said...

That Yoda is awesome!

Chris said...

The Yoda walnut made me smile. Bummer you couldn't pull a player out of the Pop-up pack. I had some TMNT cards back in the day but I don't remember black-bordered cards (maybe I only had series 1?)

I'm glad I'm not the only blogger that enjoys a good nap :0

Shlabotnik Report said...

I've yet to see any 2020 Bowman, singles, packs, whatever... or Archives, for that matter. Although I have a couple of the base cards now, I don't think I ever saw those 1989 Donruss packs at the time, because I really like the 89D design and I know I've never seen the pop-ups in person. Oh, well...

The Lost Collector said...

I definitely had some of those Turtles cards growing up.

Wilson said...

I've still got a binder of them sitting in my office. And now I'm tempted to go buy a box and try to complete the set

Nick Vossbrink said...

I used to always get the manager card in those Donruss pop-up packs but I still love those sets. Congrats on the Posey NBCD pull though. The three of us each got a pack but no such luck here.

Sean said...

I like those TMNT cards. Slightly off topic, but I recently played an episode of the TMNT cartoon on Youtube for my 5 year old to see if he would like it (he likes ninjas, he likes turtles, so logic would dictate that ninja turtles would be his thing). But nope. Kids today just aren't into 30 year old cartoons. Which makes sense I guess, I wasn't into 30 year old cartoons when I was a kid either.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Tom Kelly, jeez...I hope you’ll still be my friend after that pull. Yikes! Hope your day went well!

Jafronius said...

Those TMNT cards sure bring back some nice memories.

gregory said...

This post makes me want to open some old wax packs.

Also, Walnut Yoda should have his own trading card, don't you think?

Grant said...

The TK card is rad! It's not often a manager even has a card in those types of sets that highlight stars. I guarantee you that he especially doesn't have many.

Fuji said...

elliptical man - although the posey went into a binder, i actually like the tom kelly more. i'm hoping to one day pick up the entire pop-up set

peter k steinberg - yesterday was awesome. i took two separate naps and completely caught up on grading.

shoeboxlegends - my friend will be happy to read your comment. it's even cooler than you think... but i'll explain it more another day

chris - glad the yoda made you smile too. it's a permanent fixture in my office. i won't scan another card without looking at my little walnut.

shlabotnik report - hope you stumble across them the next time you attend a card show. i'm guessing boxes only run $5 to $10. i'll probably just go out and buy a complete set though

the lost collector - i've had a few singles pass through my collection here and there, but I think they were part of collections i purchased.

wilson - if you need singles for the series 2 set, email me your wantlist. ryan gave me four packs. there's the one you see above, one that will go to my unopened wax pack collection, and i'll probably open up the last two when i'm bored

nick vossbrink - i've actually started to take a liking to the kelly. i was hoping for a player when i opened the pack, but now that things have settled, i'm happy with pulling the manager card. if i get another posey, it's yours

sumomenkoman - thanks for the pack buddy. it was awesome. and i'm 100% happy with the kelly.

jafronius - i'm surprised at how nice the design is. if I stumbled across ab box of these cards for $5, i'd probably buy it and build the set.

gregory - hmmm. maybe my next custom card will be of walnut yoda... assuming topps lets me use his name on one of their trading cards. and it was a blast opening packs from the late 80's/early 90's

grant - i totally agree. i was originally bummed to pull him, but i'm happy wih the pull... for exactly the same reasons you pointed out.

CrazieJoe said...

The cards are great, but that Yoda looks like an awesome little art project!

Fuji said...

craziejoe - yeah, we actually built them for each other. her birthday is the day before mine, so i gave here a hello kitty themed walnut. although the one she made was much more impressive than the one i made.

Matt said...

I need to get me some of those Tmnt. Cool Yoda