30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, January 30, 2020

Quantity Trumped Quality

Last weekend was the first card show of the year for me and I was pretty pleased with the number of card dealers and the variety of stuff they brought out.  The plan was to stay away from cheap cards I didn't really need and focus on quality over quantity.  Ideally, I would have discovered an affordable 1973 Topps baseball set or a reasonably priced lot of 1970 Kellogg's baseball cards.  Unfortunately none of those things popped up on my radar.

Being the card addict that I am... I wasn't able to walk away without spending some of the money I brought to the show.  After hanging out a little over eight hours at the show, I ended up making five purchases from four different dealers.

In an effort to keep this post a reasonable length and to conserve a little time, today I'll be showing off my first two purchases which came from the same guy.


Purchase #1Dollar Bin  $15


I've seen this dealer before, but I'm not sure if I've ever purchased anything from him.  His setup included a bunch of display cases with higher end cards, a shoebox filled with quarter cards, a pair of monster boxes containing higher end cards marked 75% off, and two super monster boxes filled with dollar cards.

My eyes were originally drawn to the Brett Hull rookie card that was sitting on top of one of the dollar binsAnyone else remember this card selling for $50 back in the early 90's?

2019-20 Panini Prizm Sensational Swatches #SS-ADV

The vendor mostly had 90's stuff in his boxes, but I did pick up a few basketball relics from this past year.  I also found a few 90's parallels and inserts.  Here a pair of hall of fame refractors I couldn't pass up for a dollar:

1997-98 Finest Silver Refractor #275
1997 Finest Silver Refractor #106

The guy also had a few dozen autographs he supposedly acquired in person at Spring Training.  I picked up a pair of signed Sandy Alomar Jr. rookie cards, a cool Bert Campaneris Mother's Cookies card, and this rookie card of Robin Ventura:

1988 Topps Traded #124T

Out of all of the non-certified autographs, this card looks the sketchiest.  None of his 90's pack pulled autographs come even close to looking like this one.  However, I found a similar looking signature that was slabbed by PSA/DNA, so there's a chance it's legit.

 
1998 Skybox Premium Autographics #NNO

I would have loved to pull any Skybox Autographics card from a pack back in the 90'sJeff George isn't one of the greatest quarterbacks of his era, but he was the first overall pick in the 1990 NFL Draft.  There was no way I was passing up this autograph for a buck.

There are a few other cards that I'd like to talk about from this purchase, but I think I'll discuss them in future posts and move along to the 2nd autograph I purchased from the dealer.


Purchase #2Josh Donaldson Autograph  $7

2014 Topps Triple Threads Rookie and Phenom Autographed Relics #103

Donaldson was a huge fan favorite among Oakland A's fans and seeing him on cards featured in Green and Gold stirs up many fond memories.  But it also reminds me of the disappointing trade that shipped him off to Toronto back in 2014.

This card was sitting in the guy's 75% off bin with a $30 price tag.  I stood there going back and forth on whether or not to buy this card.  Ultimately I grabbed it after I noticed that I only have two other autographs of Donaldson sitting in my A's collection.

Well that wraps up the first part of my card show recap.  I'm planning special posts for Saturday and Monday, so I probably won't get around to the second half of my card show pickups until next Tuesday or Thursday.

Until then...

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

11 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

8 hours, rest that back.

Sean said...

Whoa, you found a Brett Hull rookie card in a dollar bin??

When I was working at a card shop in the early 90s we actually got robbed once and that was by far the most valuable card that was stolen from our showcase. Guess I didn't need to be so upset about it :)

The Lost Collector said...

AD relics for a buck!?

Base Card Hero said...

A Brett Hull rookie for $1!? Josh Donaldson auto for $7 (on card too)!? That's a damn good haul.

Fuji said...

johnnys trading spot - lol. that's what i've been doing the past few days and it's felt pretty good

sean - i wanted a copy for my collection so badly back in the day. the card shop i worked at had a few copies, but even with my employee discount, i couldn't afford one

the lost collector - i was pretty happy to add them to the stack. figured they were like $10 cards... but they only sell for a few bucks on ebay

base card hero - honestly wasn't sure if the donaldson was a good deal or not. but $7 is one less starbucks drink next week, so i grabbed it.

Nick said...

I don't usually get too excited over in-person autos, but I've never seen a signed Mother's Cookies card before, and that Campy looks excellent.

Reds Card Collector said...

That Donaldson is a beautiful card. Nice find Fuji.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Oh wow, dang 8 hours is quite a haul. Would have been a fun show to visit. Glad you didn’t walk away empty handed.

Zippy Zappy said...

RIP your knees and thumbs

Matt said...

Love the George auto and for $1 despite how horrible he was, I would have taken it as well.

Fuji said...

nick - ironically, whoever designed the mother's cookies cards put a place for the player to sign on the back. i'm so glad campy chose to sign the front of this card

reds card collector - thanks. most expensive single of the day, but it's a nice addition to my a's collection

sumomenkoman - part of the time was hanging out with mike. but the bulk was standing in front of boxes pulling cards

zippy zappy - it was more my back than anything else ;)

sport card collectors - yeah, the george was one of the better bargains at the card show