30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, November 9, 2019

The Saturday Sort

This morning I went to the Japanese American Museum of San Jose Winter Boutique to pick up some stuff for the holidays.  Unfortunately there weren't any sports card related items available.  I did see some local sports team ticket packages in a silent auction, but I didn't bother entering any bids.

On the way home I stopped by my local card shop and bought four 5,000ct. boxes to assist me with a huge resorting project I started last weekend.  If I had to guess, I'd say it's gonna take me at least 10 to 15 hours to finish.  The goal is to work on the project the entire afternoon or until my back starts to get sore.

It feels good to finally get my butt off of the couch.  And if things go as planned, I should be able to find specific cards with much more ease.  Another huge bonus is I'm uncovering cards that I completely forgot about.

Here's a card I found sitting in a box last weekend:

1992 Topps Gold Autograph #793

Collectors who were around in the early 90's should be very familiar with Brien Taylor.  The top pick in the 1991 MLB Draft took the hobby by storm, but sadly never played in a single MLB game.  Maybe I should have used this for my Buyer's Remorse post earlier in the week.

I picked this card up back in February on COMC for $10, because it had been sitting on my wantlist for a few years.  I'm not proud of the price I paid, which explains why this card has been buried in a box for several months without being missed.  Who knows what else I'll uncover this weekend.

Well that's it for today.  I've got some sorting to do.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

10 comments:

Dennis said...

Whoa, dude--that's gonna be worth a ton in 25 years! Wait, it's been 25 years?

Good luck with the reorganization!

Jeremya1um said...

That's actually a great price. I had the card at one point, but got rid of it, and kind of want another copy. Perhaps next time I get on COMC, I'll find a deal on it.
I can't belive it's been that long since the Taylor card came out. I remember being a 10-year old in 1993 and seeing the card listed in Beckett, wondering why it was listed for so much, what it looked like, and never imagining I would get a copy. My, how times (and the internet) have changed things.

SumoMenkoMan said...

That is a sweet card. Great memories worth the $10 I’m sure. Those early 1990s special insert cards were fun to chase!

The Lost Collector said...

I got this card within the last few months. I just feel like I needed to have it.

Matt said...

I didn't know this card existed. Kind of feel like I need it but why?

Chris said...

Sorting and cleaning on a weekend is so cathartic. I only wish I had so many cards in my collection to re-discover forgotten purchases. $10 for the Brien Taylor only seems high when thinking like an investor. It's such a unique single - perhaps the first certified autographed rookie card? - I can see why it was on your want list for so long.

Sean said...

Ah, early 90s nostalgia overload!

That is actually a pretty good price for that card and if you think about it, it might actually be worth something someday. While Taylor never made it to the bigs, that has got to be the most iconic and famous card from the early 1990s precisely for that reason: no other card in history has the same level of "Overhype/underperformance" attached to it and its hard to imagine anything ever challenging it.

I mean, this was the card that drove sales of factory sets of Topps base set that year, the company hung its entire 1992 set on that one card (and his regular issue card, I think Topps had him exclusively).

The Snorting Bull said...

That's a sweet card!!! Guy is a legend around North Carolina. No shame in paying out some money for an iconic card, even if they did not make it.

Fuji said...

dennis - lol. hard to believe it still commands $10, but it does ;) as for the reorganization... i worked many, many hours... but still have many, many hours to go. sad thing is... i'm no longer motivated

jeremya1um - looks like the close for under $10 on ebay sometimes.

sumomenkoman - i actually think that this was only available through the gold factory set. could be wrong though

the lost collector - i think it's us trying to take a trip back into the past

sport card collectors - lol. i think it's us trying to take a trip back into the past

chris - it was fun for awhile... and i was happy to see my office floor for the first time in months. but i opened a can of worms and phase two is gonna take me much longer than one weekend. and you're right... this is definitely one of the first autographed rookie cards (unless you consider the star pics and courtside draft pick autographs from 1991).

sean - just by reading these comments alone, there seems to be a few collectors who are interested in this card. it's especially interesting to those who were collecting back in 1992 when taylor was the talk of the hobby.

the snorting bull - north carolina produces a lot of legends. had no idea taylor was one of them. that's pretty cool.

Coast To Posts said...

Well, I learned something new about the history of baseball (and cards) today! Previously did not know about former 1st overall pick Brien Taylor and how his baseball career panned out as well as life in general for him.