30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Nomo Energy

You'd think that after a three day weekend, I'd be reenergized and ready to write.  I'm not.  I'm running on fumes Sorting cards was actually harder and more tiring than teaching middle schoolers.

I'll try to have something worth reading up by Thursday.  That gives me two days.

In the meantime here's a card that's been on my wantlist for awhile now:

1997 Bowman Bowman's Best International Preview Refractor #BBI5

Like millions of other baseball fans, I was swept up by Nomomania back in the mid 90's.  My Nomo collection is right up there with Ichiro in regards to size.  This particular card isn't very expensive.  I've just held off on picking it up in hopes of finding it in a quarter or dollar bin one day.

What about you?

Are there any cards on your wantlist that sell for a few bucks, but you resist the urge to purchase them in hopes of finding it in a bargain bin somewhere?

Well that's it for today.  Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

10 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

LoL. There are hundreds of them.

The Bucs Stop Here said...

That photo... that’s a lot of booty for a baseball card

SumoMenkoMan said...

Have started getting back into collecting Nolan Ryan...any cheap inserts are on my radar now.

GCA said...

2002 UD 40-Man Mark McGwire Flashbacks. Need nine more for the set (which completes the base and all inserts).
McGwire cards should have tanked for similar reasons to Canseco, Palmeiro, and Clemens, but none of them really have.

Nick said...

Yes -- pretty much my entire Dime Box Dozen list. Unless I get really, really desperate and/or it's from a set that fell off the face of the earth (e.g. Pacific Online), buying them online just feels like cheating.

Peter K Steinberg said...

I'd say yes, in a way. There are cards that I want that are a few dollars but at the same time, I haven't been able to make it to a card show for ages and don't know when I will make it to one. So what do I do?

Matt said...

I was digging into football deep in that year, my baseball focus was too much into Griffey Jr as well.

Jon said...

I don't know if it's the same for you or not, but I've found that the older I get, the more tedious/tiring sorting cards is... which is why I almost never do so anymore!

Chris said...

I've had a couple cards on my COMC watch list for the better part of a year that I'd gobble up if they were a couple bucks cheaper. I'm probably going to buy them anyhow since I won't be able to get to the CT card show this month.

Fuji said...

johnnys trading spot - with all of those awesome 1¢ collection purchases you make... i'm surprised there are any low end cards still on your wantlist

the bucs stops here - lol. thanks for pointing that out

sumomenkoman - i'll keep my eyes peeled for you buddy

gca - i had to look this set up on comc to see what they looked like. i don't recall ever seeing these cards. then again, i wasn't collecting in 2002.

nick - dude. then i'm the king of cheating. the past few years i've transitioned from being a set builder into a set buyer

peter k steinberg - hope you're able to get to a card show soon. it's important to get that cardboard fix

sport card collectors - you're smart. i'm gonna assume 90's griffey stuff has held its value more than 99% of the other guys out there

jon - i totally know what you mean. it's at the point where it's more stressful than it is therapeutic

chris - sometimes cards that i watch on comc make these crazy jumps. but for the most part, i'd say that 90% of the cards i watch drop slowly down in price with time. the tough part is making the decision to pull the trigger and buy them