30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, July 20, 2019

Miscut Mania

It's approaching midnight on Saturday night... and I probably should be sleeping.


But before I hit the sack, I wanted to quickly thank John over at Johnny's Trading Spot for another package filled with well-loved vintage cards.

Tonight I decided to highlight four miscut cards that will be making it into my Damaged Card PC binder:

1974 Topps #261

1970 Topps #136

1977 Topps #85

This one features the poorest cut... but it's also my favorite.  I grew up watching him play at Candlestick Park back in the 80's.  These days... he makes up one-half of the Kruk and Kuip broadcasting duo over at KNBR... one of the local sports radio stations I tune into.

1987 Fleer Baseball All-Stars #4

I was actually bummed that this card is so off-centered, because I was hoping to add it to my Canseco collection.  Instead... it's joining the other three in my Damaged Card PC.

That's okay though, because Johnny hooked me up with a huge stack of Canseco cards:


I haven't sat down and organized these, but I'm guessing there are five or six new additions to my Canseco collection.

He also sent me a huge stack of Dennis Eckersley cards:


And rounding out his care package are two more cards headed to my Damaged Card PC binder:

1970 Topps #90
1970 Topps #291

Whoever previously owned these cards had an obsession with goatees.  On one hand... it's a shame, because McCarver and Durocher are both familiar names that would normally be headed to my vintage card binder.  However... the added ink means they'll be keeping Canseco and Kuiper company.

Thank you Johnny for another generous care package!  Okay... it's officially way past my bedtimeG'nite.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

9 comments:

Matt said...

I hate when people draw on cards. Drives me crazy

The Lost Collector said...

That's the best McCarver I've ever seen.

Collecting Cutch said...

Those goatees are great. I enjoy a good art card from time to time. The more odd, the better.

night owl said...

Agreed. Even bothered me when I was a kid.

The Shlabotnik Report said...

Over the past couple of years I've come to appreciate cards which are so badly miscut that they feature part of the neighboring card on the printing sheet. I would've gladly added that Kuiper to my own miscut collection.

Bulldog said...

Fun post!

Fuji said...

sport card collectors & night owl - if either of you stumble across cards with drawings on them, i'll gladly give it a warm and caring home.

the lost collector - it's full of character that's for sure.

collecting cutch - have you ever checked out baseball card vandals? they're pretty creative:

https://www.baseballcardvandals.com/

the shlabotnik report - the more miscut, the better. i was going to do the detective work and try and figure out the neighboring card, but it was getting late.

bulldog - thank you sir!

Hackenbush said...

Kuiper hit just one home run. It was off fellow long-time broadcaster, Steve Stone. If you're into miscuts 1974 is your year. Just terrible.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

;)