30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, July 16, 2019

A Few of My Favorite Things: The 60's

Last week, I jumped into the latest Blog Bat-Around introduced by The Collector who shared a few of his favorite baseball card sets, movies, and songs broken down by decades.  I tried to pull it off in one post, but soon discovered it was taking me way too long.

The solution?  Break it down into segments.  Here are my favorites from the 60's...


Favorite Baseball Card Set1964 Topps Giants

1964 Topps Giant #11
1964 Topps Giant #25
1964 Topps Giant #51

The 1964 Topps Giant set is one of my all-time favorite oddball issues.  I really enjoy the simplicity of the design.  It really gives off that old school vibe.

It was a tough decision, but it beat out the 1960 and 1965 Topps flagship sets for favorite 60's baseball set.


Favorite MovieTo Kill A Mockingbird (1962)


The number of movies released prior to the 70's that I've watched is fairly limited, but two movies stood out to me.  One of them was Yojimbo (1961).  The other was To Kill A Mockingbird.  Both are fantastic movies that I've watched on multiple occasions, but I decided to go with the latter since I went with another Kurosawa film for my 50's selection.

My knowledge of cards trumps movies, so I won't even attempt to write a legit review for this classic movie.  I'll just say that I'm a big fan of the characters... especially Atticus Finch, a single father who is ethical, honorable, and a good role model for his children.


Favorite SongAll Along The Watchtower (Jimi Hendrix 1968)



When I'm not reading blogs in my free time, I enjoy watching and listening to bands perform covers of famous songs.  I've never been a huge fan of Bob Dylan, but when he wrote this song in 1967, he wrote a masterpiece.  However when it comes to performing it, the Hendrix cover is my favorite.

That wraps up the 60'sNext week I'll share my favorites from the 70's.  Until then...

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

7 comments:

Hackenbush said...

What can I say. Another great trio of cards. And the Hendrix is a true classic.

Chris said...

Love those '64 Topps Giants! And Jimi Hendrix was a magician; I much prefer his version of Watchtower over anything Dylan.

Adam said...

Great stuff there. I forgot "Mockingbird" cane out in the 60s. It's been forever since I've read the book or seen the movie. Have you read "Go Set A Watchman", the follow-up to Mockingbird?

I considered All Along the Watchtower as well since it's my favorite Hendrix song. There's just so much good music in the 60s, it's just hard to narrow everything down to a favorite.

Collecting Cutch said...

64 Giants are great cards

defgav said...

Hendrix's live cover of "Like a Rolling Stone" is another great rendition of a Dylan tune.

Nick said...

I really need more of those Topps Giants in my collection.

Fuji said...

hackenbush - i think my new way to meditate will be to play this song while staring at my 64 Giants. both bring me a sense of peace.

chris - yeah. i never could get used to dylan's voice. very unique

adam - never read "go set a watchman". i haven't read "to kill a mockingbird" in over 30 years. if i ever do, maybe i'll read them back to back.

collecting cutch - for sure. i didn't scan any... but the backs are awesome too.

defgav - thanks. i'll check it out. not sure i know that song.

nick - me too. i actually want to add a few more to player pcs