30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Refreshing My Memory

Being a product of the 70's, I never had the opportunity to watch guys like Babe Ruth, Cy Young, Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig, Mickey Mantle, or Stan Musial.  But I had heard and read stories about them even before I started collecting baseball cards in the early 80's.  These guys were baseball legends.

Bobby Doerr is a baseball legend too.  But since he wasn't a first ballot hall of famer, or baseball's Ironman, or the all-time wins leader... I wasn't familiar with his accomplishments until a few years later.  It didn't help that I grew up 3,000 miles away from Fenway.

My best guess is I started learning about him around the same time he was inducted into Cooperstown by the Veterans Committee back in 1986.

Every now and then, card companies would include him in a set which was a nice way of paying tribute to the "silent captain of the Boston Red Sox".

Then towards the end of last year, I read somewhere that he had become the oldest living former MLBer, which I thought was interesting.  It also gave me an opportunity to refresh my memory of his career achievements.


Not long after that, his 2007 UD Masterpieces Box Topper Signature card popped up on eBay.  This is one of my favorite autograph sets and it was like a sign or something.  So I entered a last second bid and was stoked to add an on-card autograph of Red Sox legend to my collection.

Fast forward to last night when I read the news of his passing over on Baseball Card Breakdown.   My sincere condolences go out to his family, friends, and Red Sox and baseball fans around the world.  I never had the opportunity to watch him play, but thanks to sites like Baseball Reference and the numerous tributes I've read since last night, his legacy will live on forever.

Rest in peace Mr. Doerr.

Happy Wednesday and sayonara!

9 comments:

Chris said...

I knew Doerr was the oldest living HOFer but I didnt know he was the oldest living major leaguer, period. Underrated for sure, but what a long and storied live he lived.

defgav said...

That's a beautiful card! He was an awesome person.

acrackedbat said...

very nice tribute Fuji and gem of a card!

Mike Matson said...

He also has an early Jays connection.. He was the hitting coach for the Jays from 1977-1981.

Matt said...

Great looking card

BobWalkthePlank said...

Hard to find a player that was more accommodating to autograph collectors than Doerr.

The Angels In Order said...

He was always a very gracious and personable signer, always willing to take the time to handwrite responses.

Nick said...

Beautiful, beautiful card. RIP, Bobby.

Fuji said...

chris - well said. i'll be happy if i can break into the 80's like my parents

defgav, julie, sport card collectors, & nick - thanks. it was love at first sight. wish i could build the entire set, but some of the singles go for big $$$

mike matson - yeah, i read about that in one of the tributes

matthew scott & the angels in order - gotta appreciate an athlete who took the time to appreciate his fans.