30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, November 30, 2017

Down and Out

The past few days have kinda sucked.  On Tuesday, I strained my back for the umpteenth time while getting ready for work and I can't even parallel park my car or pick up a dry erase marker without grimacing.

But it's happened enough the past ten years that I'm starting to accept it as part of my life.

In terms of cards, I haven't been able to sit down and sort cards.  Heck... the majority of my free time has been laying down on the floor, looking up at the television, while doing a variety of stretches.

I stuck around work a little longer today in order to finally publish a post.  I was thinking about how I could relate cards to my messed up back, when I remembered Amelie Mancini's (Left Field Cards) and her cool custom sets.  She's made a few different series of baseball card sets and one of them targets baseball players who suffered weird sports injuries.

2014 Topps Tribute Green #40 (#'d 01/50)

Did you know that John Smoltz once scalded himself while ironing a shirt?  Well according to Mancini he did.

1987 Topps #653

That's where I also learned about Kevin Mitchell straining a muscle while vomiting.  


And one time... Wade Boggs strained his back just like me.  Only he did it while taking off his cowboy boots.  I strained my back while putting on shorts.

Boggs bounced back and had a hall of fame career... so the least I can do is bounce back and catch up on blogging and reading all of your posts.  Just give me a few days.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

13 comments:

Billy Kingsley said...

Feel better! I have permanent back problems so I am very sympathetic. it's not fun!

The Lost Collector said...

Feel better!

shoeboxlegends said...

Hope you feel better Fuji!

Base Card Hero said...

Awesome stories-- I love hearing about the odd ways people pull a muscle.

Hope you feel better.

Twitch said...

I threw my back out sneezing once. Kinda surprised it hasn't happened more, tbh. My sneezes are crazy violent.

Man said...

sorry, been there, and still do. I have kept a 30 year old pair of crutches with me through three states just in case I can't get up.

Tony Burbs said...

Get better soon - my father has had back issues all of his life, so I've seen how difficult it can be to deal with. I've had my own recurring hamstring injuries, for that matter. Es no bueno.

On a positive note, thank you for introducing me to Macini's work - those postcards are fantastic!

Reds Card Collector said...

Hope you feel better soon Fuji!

Collecting Cutch said...

Feel better soon dude! Back problems are terrible.

Kin said...

Hope you feel better soon. Back issues are no joke, and I entirely feel your pain!

SumoMenkoMan said...

Get better soon and keep the posts coming!

Chris said...

Didn't Sammy Sosa hurt his back sneezing? That might have been an excuse (it's Sosa after all) but if true that's an odd one.

I hope you're feeling closer to 100% by now. Getting old sucks, say my aching knees.

Fuji said...

Thanks guys. I'm feeling much better. Sometimes it takes me 3 to 4 weeks to recover. This time around I was feeling better within a week.

Billy - Sorry to hear that. I don't want to even think about waking up with that crazy pain every day of my life.

Twitch - Sneezing. Bending over picking something up. Looking over my shoulder while driving in reverse. Can't wait to see how I throw out my back the next time.

Brady - Sorry bud. Here's hoping we (along with Billy) have a pain free 2018.

Tony Burbs - Her work is unique and awesome!

Chris - It wouldn't surprise me if he did. I've thrown my back out sneezing before. Hope your knees are feeling okay.