30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, November 27, 2017

Friendly Reminder

I collect a lot of different stuff.  I have player collections.  Team collections.  I collect special serial numbered cards.  Sketch cards.  Left-handed athletes.  People born and raised in San Jose.  Surfers.  Japanese athletes.  Seriously... the list goes on and on.

On one hand, it's nice because when I get bored or overwhelmed with one collection, I can easily take a break and turn to another collection.  On the other hand, sometimes collections get lost in the shuffle... and it takes a care package from a fellow blogger to remind me that I collect certain things.

A few weeks ago, Jim over at cards as i see them sent me a PWE that contained the first addition to my Damaged Card PC in a long time:

2017 Topps Update #US10

Over the years, I've come across a fair share of damaged autographs, memorabilia cards, inserts, parallels, and rookie cards that I just didn't have the heart to throw away.  I started stashing them in a box, but eventually I dedicated a binder to them.

You might not notice the damage on the Ian Happ, but if you look closely to the bottom left-hand corner on the back, you'll see this:


That's a pretty solid ding.

Now Happ didn't exactly have Aaron Judge or Cody Bellinger's numbers, but his twenty-four home runs earned him some recognition as a rookie.

Congratulations Ian.  You've earned a spot next to Randy Johnson and Ken Griffey Jr. in the rookie card section of my binder.

Another collection that I have neglected over the past few years has been my Kurt Suzuki PC.  He's still my favorite baseball players.  But since he doesn't have a lot of new autographs or memorabilia cards, I just haven't targeted his stuff lately.

Thankfully Jim sent me this:

2017 Topps Update #US207

It's the first card of Suzuki in my collection that features him as a Atlanta Brave.  I had no idea that he has the fifth-most base hits as a catcher over the past decade.  Kudos to Topps for pointing that out to me.

Rounding out Jim's PWE were a pair of Athletics and another new card for my Japanese Player PC:


Thank you Jim for the friendly reminder.  Although I won't actively target cards for my Damaged Card PC, I am heading over to COMC to see if I can add at least one new Suzuki to my collection.

Happy Monday and sayonara!

7 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I need to remember about all of those "minis"

Zippy Zappy said...

Apparently Kurt Suzuki had a better slugging percentage than Gary Sanchez (who was second among all qualified catchers)...

Hackenbush said...

Damaged card collection. Talk about turning lemons into lemonade.

gcrl said...

Thank you for sending me cards for my collection(s), too!

GCA said...

Does "damaged" include misprinted (missing foil) cards, etc.?

Collecting Cutch said...

That's a good amount of items to collect. I don't see Packers or Sharks on there though. Give up on them?

bamlinden said...

The Damaged Card PC........I like that.