30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, November 9, 2012

Who's Walt Weiss?


This Wednesday, the Colorado Rockies hired Walt Weiss to manage their team.  It's his first opportunity to coach a MLB team and he's inheriting a team who earned the third worst record in Major League Baseball.  Looks like he'll have his work cut out for him.

But if I know Weiss, he'll find a way to make it work.  That's what he did in Oakland for six seasons.  Weiss was never considered a super star in the Bay Area, but he was respected for his strong defensive play.

In 1988, he won the American League Rookie of the Year Award and a year later he helped the Oakland Athletics bring home a World Series title.

Sadly, there are only two cards in my collection that are worth showing:


1988 Topps Traded #126T


2005 Bazooka Fun Facts Relics #WW

One day I hope to add one of his mid 2000's autographed cards of him in his A's uniform.  However... for one reason or another they seem to command a decent dime.

Congratulations Walt on becoming the 6th manager in Rockies' franchise history.  I wish you the best of luck unless of course you're playing the A's or Padres.

The rest of y'all... happy Friday and sayonara!

Extra Edition!


Thanks to night owl, shoeboxlegends, and gcrl, I was motivated to track down a 1991 Topps A's team set which includes this amazing shot of Mr. Weiss leaping in the air over Cleveland's Joel Skinner.

It just shows that cards don't have to be a rookie card, or autographed, or embedded with a piece of memorabilia to be cool.  Thanks for sharing guys!

8 comments:

night owl said...

You HAVE to get the 1991 Topps Walt Weiss card. It's one of the greatest cards of the '90s.

(And by HAVE TO, I mean, "get it if you want -- you don't really HAVE TO -- but I think you'll like it")

Anonymous said...

Interesting that the two cards you showed are actually the same picture!

shoeboxlegends said...

I was going to mention the '91 Topps Weiss as well but Night Owl beat me to the punch. Maybe get the Desert Shield version for some added coolness!

gcrl said...

Here's a third call for adding the 91 Topps card to your collection.

Fuji said...

Thanks for pointing it out. I've seen the card before and have two copies... one in a team set and one in my 1991 set. Heck... actually, I also have a micro version too. But I just didn't think to pull this card out. I'm sure glad I did.

Fuji said...

LOL... didn't notice that until just now. That's why I love these comments. Keep 'em coming. Thanks!

Fuji said...

Great idea... I'll head over to COMC and see if I can find an affordable copy.

Fuji said...

Your wish is my command! Thanks for the motivation.