30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Sayonara Salute #22: Hector Camacho

Boxing hasn't been my thing in over a decade.  Outside of a few Pacquiao fights, I can't remember the last boxing match I watched.  

But there was a time when my buddy and I would watch all of the big fights:  Tyson vs. Spinks, Leonard vs. Hagler, Holyfield vs. Bowe, Taylor vs. Chavez, Lewis vs. Holyfield, Tyson vs. Holyfield, and of course... Julio Cesar Chavez vs. Hector "Macho" Camacho.

Chavez dominated the fight and won by unanimous decision after 12 rounds, but the fight was a historic one and one I won't forget.

Another thing that stands out when I look back at Camacho were his entertaining outfits.  My favorite was the one he wore before his fight against De La Hoya.  It was sort of a Destro (from G.I. Joe) meets a dominatrix look.  

Here... see for yourself:


The boxing world will truly miss the Macho Man, but at least there are plenty of pieces of boxing memorabilia to remember him by.  Here are some of his cardboard I acquired over the years:


1991 Kayo #40


1991 Kayo #197


1991 All World #7


1991 Ringlords #33


1996 Ringside "Spotlights in the Ring" #1

Rest in peace... Macho Man.  You will be remembered.

2 comments:

AdamE said...

Any chance you have 1996 Ringside Gold Spotlight Michael Carbajal? It is from the same subset as that Camacho/Douglas/Duran card. It is the last one I need for my 1996 Ringside master set.

Fuji said...

I looked, but didn't see one. My buddy gave me the stack of boxing cards. I'll ask him if he has anymore.. If I do, I'll get back to you.