30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

No logos? No problem!


I'm not usually a fan of sports cards without team logos.  And I'm not usually fond of retail blaster boxes either.  Plus... with the holiday season rapidly approaching, money is tight and I really shouldn't be gambling.

But every now and then, when you have an itch... you've got to scratch it.

That's what happened when I picked up a box of 2011 Goodwin Champions earlier this month.  The box contained 12 packs and each pack contained 4 cards.


I'll spare you some time and get to the good stuff.  I pulled a stack of base cards and here were my three favorites:



As with most products, there were hits and misses with the artists' renditions of the athletes.  These were (in my opinion) the biggest hits.  Hobgood has his pipe, Rodman has his tats, and Ryan has his longhorn.  Simply amazing.

Minis are seeded at a 1:2 pack rate.  Here are the six I pulled:


Since this is the first time (and probably the last) I've opened this product, I'm guessing that the black bordered, Lady Luck minis are just as common as the regular back minis.  Collation was interesting as I pulled the regular sized Dillinger, McGraw, Houdini, and Hobgood to go along with their miniature counterparts.

I also pulled this cool die-cut Figures of Sport insert of The Wizard:


There were no mention of these inserts on the wrappers, but according to Beckett they fall into 1:21 hobby packs.  I wonder what the retail odds were.  Either way, it's a sweet card.  Although, I wish the artist would have put Ozzie in a yellow and brown uniform.

And if the Ozzie wasn't cool enough... I also beat the odds and pulled a memorabilia card of one of the greatest defensemen to lace up a pair of skates:


The whole point of purchasing this box was to brighten up my day and that's exactly what happened.  I probably won't be busting any newer product anytime soon, but I have a few 80's oddball products I'll share with you in the next few weeks.

Happy Wednesday and sayonara!

2 comments:

Martyn said...

Nice cards Mark, might get you itching a bit more?

Fuji said...

Hmmm... probably not anytime soon. But who knows what the new year will bring.