30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, March 3, 2011

My Newest Cardboard Challenge

Yesterday I broke down my latest purchase... a case of 2008 UD Masterpieces football. Which brings me to my newest card collecting challenge. It's actually four tasks... but they're all based on this product.

#1: I want to finish building the short printed set. For those who have never busted this product, the set is comprised of 105 cards... numbered from 1 to 110 (there were five cards not on Beckett's checklist: #45, 59, 65, 70, and 100). The set is broken down into three parts: base set (1-90), SP Time Warps (91-99), and SP rookies (101-110).


I was able to build a bunch of base sets, but unfortunately... I came up one card short on building the complete short printed set. So... if anyone has card #98, which is the Time Warp Tarkenton/Peterson card... I'm looking to trade for it.


#2: My second goal is to build the black framed parallel set, which consists of the first 86 cards (#1-90).


The case provided me with 52 of the cards, so I'm already more than halfway there. Here are the cards I still need:

6, 12, 20, 31, 42, 46, 49, 51, 61, 69, 71, 78, 82, 83, 84, 86

I'm hoping to be able to find some people to trade with... but worse case scenario there are at least a dozen of these cards on COMC for under $.50 a piece.


#3: While we're on the topic of parallels... I'd also like to collect one of each color for the following Packers cards:

#6 Bart Starr
#8 Brett Favre
#10 Brett Favre
#51 Jordy Nelson
#67 Paul Hornung
#86 Vince Lombardi
#93 Paul Hornung/Brett Favre
#97 Paul Hornung/Brett Favre
#102 Brian Brohm

My guess is that I'll never complete this challenge... but it should be fun chasing it down.


#4: Last... but not least... I've decided to take on the challenge of building the Captured on Canvas memorabilia card set.


I'm not a big fan of the event worn pieces (for the rookies), but these cards are fairly inexpensive and I love the design. The cards are #'d CC1-CC60, but three cards weren't made (#'s CC28, CC33, CC34), which brings the set down to a realistic number of 57 cards. I pulled 25 different memorabilia cards from the case, which leaves me with 32 to hunt down. Here they are:

2, 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 15, 16, 19, 22, 23, 24, 26, 29, 30,
32, 36, 37, 40, 41, 42, 43, 45, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 58, 59

After checking out the checklist... it seems that Favre & Romo will probably set me back the most money... but they've both sold for single digits on Ebay recently... so it shouldn't be too expensive to build this set.

There you have it. Four challenges... different levels of difficulty... but all of these will definitely look sweet when I display these in a binder. So... if any of you have any of these for sale or trade... let me know what you're looking for in return.

Have a fabulous Friday everyone... Sayonara!

7 comments:

TJ said...

That's quite a challenge. Good luck with that

stusigpi said...

I can probably knock out a lot of the blacks for you.

BTW, Ware and Hester jersey cards are SP'd, maybe not officially, but tough to get none the less.

stusigpi said...

oh and in return for the blacks and possibly some cash...your serialed parallels and Johnson Patch.

Fuji said...

tj - thanks... i'll need it

stusigpi - thanks for the heads up... i'll consider that in my hunt... i sent you an email with my list of parallels... but i'm going to hold onto the patch... since i like the cool numbering.

Matt Flaten said...

I may have the Peterson SP. I can't remember but will check.

Feather Chucker said...

I have actually gotten 2 of the Peterson cards from retail packs. One from a Dollar General and another from a retail box. I think they are fairly common. The hard ones seem to be Mel Blount/Randy Moss. I had one of those and sold it for way less than I should have. I still have the Peterson/Butkus one but I'm going to hold on to that.

Fuji said...

matt f - i'm working out a deal for the peterson sp (and a bunch of black parallels) with i am joe collector... but i'll keep you in mind if things fall through. thanks for offering to help me out with my set.

kev2380 - i'll have to see if i have extras on blount/moss time warp... didn't know they were tougher to find.