30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, March 5, 2019

The C-Note Challenge

Chris over at The Collector recently played a game based on Beckett's C-Note Challenge where collectors go on an imaginary $100 shopping spree.  According to Beckett's guidelines, there should be 5 to 15 cards based on the current month's high book valueChris decided to go with recent eBay sales instead, so I will too.

However I'm gonna modify things a little more for my post.  Instead of going on an imaginary shopping spree, I decided to show off the results of an actual shopping spree that took place over the past few months.  And one of those purchases forced me to go a little over the 15 card limit.

But that's okay, right?  It's all just fun and games, so let the game begin...


Purchase #11990 Leaf #180  $10 ($6 + $4 shipping)


When you think about the most dangerous hitters of the 90's, Albert Belle has to come into the discussion.  It's just a shame that he made so many poor decisions off (and on) the field, because this guy was pretty fun to watch when he stepped into the batter's box.

I've been looking to add cheap PSA 10 graded rookie cards to my collection for a few years now.  Belle's character might not be worth the price of a snack-sized Snickers, but I his career numbers were worthy of my Alexander Hamilton.


Purchase #22017 Archives (1988 Bazooka #15) Buyback Auto (#'d 3/6$15 (free shipping)


There's a chance that this is the last Tim Raines autograph I ever purchase.  I don't go out of my way to pick up his autographs, but I really liked the look of this card.


Purchase #31998 Zenith Z-Team Set $18.25 (free shipping)



Back in December, I received a care package from Rod over at Padrographs that contained some 1998 Zenith Dare to Tear cards.  This took me for a walk down memory lane.  I immediately wanted to pick up some of the inserts from this product.  A week or two later, this set popped up on eBay and I was the only bidder.

This is probably my favorite C-Note Challenge post purchase.


Purchase #42017 Archives (1983 Topps #586) Buyback Auto (#'d 3/85$20 (free shipping)


I've been putting together a collection of left-handed Cy Young Award Winners and Viola was one of the final three guys I needed (Mark Davis and Johan Santana are the other two).  Since he doesn't have a lot of signatures out there, I had to settle on one of his Archives buyback signatures.  I figured, I might as well go all out and pick up his signed rookie card.


Purchase #52017 Leaf Originals Alternate Art #RS  $9.32 ($6.07 + $3.25 shipping)



Outside of a few highlights involving Asuka, I don't really watch wrestling anymore.  But I still enjoy adding new cards to my Ricky Steamboat collection, so when I saw that he signed cards for Leaf, I knew I wanted to pick one up.


Purchase #62018 Stadium Club Autograph #SCA-MA  $25.50 ($22 + $3.50 shipping)



This is one of my latest eBay purchases.  I'm the furthest thing from a Yankees fan, but I wanted to grab an autograph of Andujar while he's still affordable.  I specifically targeted his 2018 Stadium Club card, because it pairs nicely with the Gleyber Torres I pulled from a blaster last year:


Well... if my calculations are correct, that brings my running total to $98.07.  Since I couldn't find any recent eBay purchases in the $1 to $2 price range, I decided to look at my recent COMC purchases.


Purchase #7 (COMC):  1956 Topps #134  $1.50


Back in January, I saw this card over at Highly Subjective and Completely Arbitrary.  As most of you know, Stan Musial didn't have his own Topps trading card until the 1958 set, so I was intrigued when I saw that he was featured on this team card.  I headed over to COMC and within a few days I had this card sitting in my inventory.

I thought it was Musial's first appearance on a Topps card, but after doing a little research, I discovered that he was actually pictured on the Cardinals' 1951 Topps Teams card:



This 1951 Topps Teams card obviously isn't part of my haul.  These cards are pretty rare and can often fetch triple digits.  I'd like to eventually add the Philadelphia Athletics card to my collection, but we'll save that for another post on another day.  Let's get back to the C-Note Challenge.

Total Spent$99.57

Well there you have it.  Eight eBay/COMC purchasesTwenty-five cards.  And almost $100 spent.  Individually, I felt like I was getting some pretty good deals... but after breaking it down and looking at these purchases a little more closely... I'm wondering if maybe I would have been better off not purchasing these cards and just doing an imaginary shopping spree like Chris.

Anyways, I'm not sure if this has turned into a Blog Bat Around, but it'd be cool to see what other bloggers would buy if they had an extra C-Note laying around.  Are you willing to step up to the challenge?

Oh... and in celebration of my blog's 9th anniversary, I'm holding a contest.  If you're interested in joining, click here.

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

16 comments:

Hackenbush said...

Funny but the least expensive card is my favorite of the bunch. 90%+ of my last $100 was spent on postcards.

Sean said...

As an Expos fan I have to say that I am in love with that Raines auto card - its a beauty!

Also I agree 100% about Albert Belle!

Nick Vossbrink said...

Raines card is nice. Viola is a pitching coach at Binghamton this year so I'm hoping to get an in-person signature when they visit Trenton.

Brett Alan said...

Amazing to me that a Viola numbered to 85 went for more than a Hall of Famer numbered to 6 from the same set.

Chris said...

Lots of great finds here, especially the Raines. I never realized that Musial appeared on team cards before '58 ($1.50 is a great price for that card!) At least you've got something to show for your very real shopping spree, as opposed to my imaginary one.

I'm glad you gave this a shot since the idea didn't really catch on after my post. If anyone does take you up on the C-Note Challenge, I'd be happy to read those posts as well.

Jon said...

I'm with Mr. Hackenbush, the Cardinals team card was the best of the bunch. And I already said it on Chris' post, but I hope this does turn into a bat around, of course with you backing it now, it has a much better chance of doing so.

Angus said...

Add me to the list that really likes the Raines auto.

Commishbob said...

I'd never heard of Ricky Stesmboat and the name intrigued me so I looked him up. Apparently he has a son that uses the name and there was another wrestler using it as well at some point. I'm more confused that usual now. LOL

Nice cards for sure. I love the Cardinal team card as well.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Great deal on the Viola!

shoeboxlegends said...

Wow, you know how to stretch a Benjamin Franklin Fuji! Hard to pick a favorite, but if pressed I think I'd have to go with that sweet Viola RC auto!

GCA said...

Basing it on Beckett high book would cheat you out of twice as many cards, so recent actual sales is the way to go.
Might have to try this after my binge posts are over. My first COMC order would qualify except for the limit on how many cards. Most of what I got was around a buck each.

The Lost Collector said...

Solid! I like that Gleyber auto from Stadium Club. I haven't seen that one yet.

Matt said...

How were you the only one who bid on a Zenith Zteam beauty set like that?! What a steal!

Fuji said...

hackenbush - can't wait to get back out there and start reading blog posts, so i can check out these post cards.

jon - i've been out of the loop lately, but i hope it did catch on. it's an interesting topic

sean - yeah, i don't think i'd ever spend $15 on another raines signature... but i have no regrets on purchasing that one.

nick vossbrink - good luck with viola. thanks to archives, he has a nice variety of signed cards out there. but people sometimes price them way too high.

brett alan - i know... right?

chris - shame it didn't catch on. it's a very interesting topic. i was happy to participate

angus - wow. raines is getting a lot of love today.

commishbob - i'm only familiar with the one who wrestled in the 80's and 90's. but i think it's cool that his son is wrestling too.

sumomenkoman - thanks. glad someone thinks it's a great deal. i initially thought it was kinda pricey. but compared to what other guys have been asking, i decided to go for it

shoeboxlegends - i'll definitely accept that compliment. your comc blasters are legendary. throw 5 of them together and you have one heck of a c-note challenge

gca - screw the card limit. i did. i say post your c-note challenge

the lost collector - it was that much sweeter considering i pulled it from a blaster last year

parts of my past - no clue. but i'm not complaining ;)

acrackedbat said...

i remember Ricky Steamboat. He had a feud going with Randy Savage. My sis and I spent too much time ringside back in the 80s. You would win on the Price Is Right! Savvy shopper, you!

Fuji said...

julie - the question is... were you a steamboat or a savage kind of girl?