30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Somewhere In The Middle

Graded cards aren't for everyone.  I understand and accept that.  That being said, I've collected a fair share of graded cards over the past ten years that typically fall into one of four categories.  Today I figured I'd explore those categories with you.


1Vintage Sports Cards

1956 Topps (White Back) #31

Let's preface things by stating that 99.8% of the vintage cards sitting in my collection are ungraded.  Just like a lot of collectors, I enjoy being able to touch and smell my cardboard if I want to.  But when it comes to certain higher end singles, like my 1956 Topps hall of famers, I like the extra security that graded cards offer in regards to counterfeit and altered issues.


2Classic Cards Collection

1971 Topps #118

A few years ago, I started putting together a list of cards that I deemed to be "classics".  They either feature fantastic action shots or an interesting photo.  One of the rules I established was that I wanted the cards to be graded.  The idea is that I'll be able to display them in my office one day in their uniform protective holders.


3Rookie Cards

Much like vintage, the vast majority of rookie cards in my collection are ungraded.  However I have been slowly picking up PSA 10 copies of my favorite rookies when they're affordable or seem to be pretty solid bargains.

Here's a Scherzer I purchased off of eBay back in December for $10.49:

2008 UD Goudey #6

The past six seasons... this guy has been one of the best pitchers in baseball.  I figured it was about time I added one of his rookie cards to my collection.  The Topps Update is no longer in my price range, but I'll buy pretty much any Scherzer PSA 10 rookie card for this price.


Due to the expensive nature of high graded older rookie cards (mid 80's and earlier), I'm willing to buy lower graded copies that fit my budget.


4Too Cheap To Pass Up

This doesn't happen very often, but sometimes I find a graded card that's actually cheaper than an ungraded copy.

1998 Bowman's Best Refractor #60

Back in 2011, I found this Greg Maddux refractor numbered to 400 for $5.38.  That's probably an okay price for an ungraded copy... but for a PSA 10 copy, that's a pretty good deal.  These kinds of purchases are rare, but I'll still find good deals from time to time at card shows and on eBay.

I've definitely evolved as a collector over the past decade or so.  Before I returned to the hobby in 2008, I think I owned five, maybe ten graded cards.  These days, I pick up five, maybe ten graded cards every few months.

I've thrown this question out before... but since it's such a polarizing topic... let's ask it again:


On a scale from one (can't stand them, I always pop them out) to ten (if it's not encased in plastic, it's not for me), where do you stand on collecting graded cards?

Personally, I'm somewhere in the middle.  However since 70 to 80% of my hobby budget is spent on raw cards, I'll go ahead say I'm somewhere between 4 and 4 1/2.

Well that's it for today.  I hope you're enjoying the last week of Spring Training.

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

22 comments:

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Without a doubt "1". It is a rarity for me to ever get one, but like you said sometimes the deal is just too good to pass on.

Big Tone said...

As far as collecting them? "1" .Not because I don't like them but because I always go for the cheaper ungraded stuff. The next graded card I purchase will be an 86 Donruss Canseco. Not sure If the ungraded one I have now Is real or counterfeit.

Jon said...

Maybe a "3"? I've started buying a few, but I don't think that I'll ever go out of my way to look for any.

shoeboxlegends said...

I'm probably a 5. I've got way more ungraded cards than I do graded, exponentially more. I do have my share of PSA-graded cards though, easily north of 100 by now!

Nick Vossbrink said...

2? I can't stand them but I'd consider them for high-value cards or super-old vintage which is in really bad shape. In other words any card that I wouldn't feel comfortable handling raw.

night owl said...

Zero-point-5? I have 2 graded cards in my possession. One is a dupe and there's no point releasing it. The other is the 1953 Bowman color Pee Wee Reese and I'm way too freaked out by what might happen to it if I try to break it out. ... Grading makes almost no sense to me and I don't reside in the few places in the hobby where it does make sense.

Brett Alan said...

Never bought a graded card. Mostly I'm just too casual and cheap a collector to do that, but actually I came across a 50 cent graded Matt Harvey card late last year and passed it up just because I didn't want to take the plunge into owning graded cards. So that's gotta be below 1. I'm not saying I won't ever be open to it...but it would take some change in my circumstances, I'm thinking.

SumoMenkoMan said...

I own one graded card only because it is a 1/1 and happened to be graded. So I am a 1 or 1.5.

Xavier Higgins said...

5.5 out of 10
I could go on at length on this topic.

The Shlabotnik Report said...

What Nick V. said. :-)

Henry Blanchette said...

4.5-5 ish? I sent some cards to Beckett for grading last fall, but that's about all I've ever done. I don't typically purchase graded cards.

Other than big name sellers, I don't think I've ever seen a collector with such a valuable vintage card graded at an 8. That Hank Aaron from '56 Bowman is insanely special.

arpsmith said...

If too am in line with Nick V.

Peter K Steinberg said...

Graded cards don't do much for me. Like you, I want to be able to handle the actual card. I have one that I bought, 1983 Topps Traded Darryl Strawberry. It's still in its casing but that's because when I got it I didn't know popping them out was a thing. So at this point it's kind of cumbersome to store, but I make due. I don't actively seek them out.

Clipping Path Service said...

Great information in this article. Thanks for sharing.

GCA said...

Maybe a 1.5. The only graded cards I will collect are my T205 Giants team set. Mostly for the authentication. The only other graded card I have came with a card encyclopedia.

Otherwise, besides sight-unseen deals when you need assurance you're getting the real thing at the listed condition, grading has no purpose but to artificially inflate values.

A Gem 10 graded card should be worth no more than a Mint raw card. Period. Populations are irrelevant. Just because only a few people happened to get the idea to submit a card for grading and just because a few other people gave them a good grade does not mean it should be worth several hundred times the initial value.

gregory said...

I just picked up my first few graded cards in a trade. They were vintage, aside from a 1989 Ken Griffey Jr. Bowman. If I add any more graded cards going forward, they'd also be vintage (helps with security, like you mentioned), but it's not really a goal or a need. So I guess I'd rate somewhere around a 1 or a 2.

Baltmoss68 said...

I’m probably a 6 or 7. I understand that it’s s but if s gimmick but there’s a strong following. I have a few registry sets and enjoy that camaraderie. I also like your 4 categories

Fuji said...

The average score among the 15 commenters who left a number is a 2.5. The most frequent number was 2 left by three commenters. I'm not really surprised by this. The majority of the blogs I read rarely feature graded cards.

big tone- i'd love to add a 86d canseco psa 10 to my collection one day. sadly... there's no way i'm gonna pay over $100 for one though.

night owl - i want a 53b reese. if i ever decided to buy one, it'll have to be graded

brett alan - now that's willpower. i totally respect that. kinda wish i had more willpower myself

sumomenkoman - hint. hint. you'll be receiving #2 one of these days ;)

xavier higgins - do you have a blog? i'd love to read about your thoughts on the subject

henry blanchette - i wish my 56t aaron was an 8. its a psa 6 (mk), which really means it's a psa 4 or 5

peter k steinberg - i popped a few cards out of their slabs. wish i could say none came out damaged, but there were a few casualties. if you go on youtube, there are a few videos that teach you how to pop them out more safely than my approach

gca - i agree with your philosophy... but i've seen population reports have a huge effect on ebay values.

gregory - funny you mention the 89b griffey. that's another card i really want to add to my graded collection.

baltmoss68 - yeah, i've seen a few youtubers talk about the whole registry and different ways to collect. bottom line is graded cards aren't for everyone, but on the plus side it does add another way for people to collect.

acrackedbat said...

I give them a big ONE. I enjoy handling my cards. I'm very much a "touch' person, loving the textures. While I've been the recipient of slabbed cards in trades, I've only purchased two, both vintage.

Adam Kaningher said...

I have one graded card. 1 on a scale of 1-however many thousand.

AdamE said...

I have a few graded cards but that is just because I got a better deal on the graded card than an ungraded card. The reason they are encapsulated still is I'm too lazy to crack them.

Graded cards are a farce!!! I know someone that has cards graded all the time. He sends in 100s to be graded at a time. Since he sends in so many cards he gets better grades than the guy that sends in one or two. He actually seeks out cards graded 7-9 so he can resend them and get 10s. And I don't mean crack them and resend them. He writes regrade across them and they do the cracking for him. It is a total scam!!!

Fuji said...

The average has slipped down to 2.32 after two more 1's have been added into the mix.

Julie - I enjoy handling my cards for the most part, but I enjoy seeing them displayed in slabs too.

AdamE - It's not surprising. In life shadiness hides behind every shadow. If there's money to be made, scammers will find a way to take advantage of others.