30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, March 7, 2019

Flea Market Finds #136: A True Hidden Treasure

Mother Nature brought her 'A' Game this winter, but spring is just around the corner which means the flea market season is about to commence.

A few weeks ago, I was able to sneak out during my week off from work and hit the Capitol Flea Market.  It was pretty sad.  I'm not sure what the deal was, but there were less than 50% of the vendors that usually set up and Thursdays are usually pretty good there.  Hopefully it was the freezing temperatures that scared them away.

I was pleasantly surprised to see several people with sports cards, but only two are worth mentioning.  One had two shoeboxes filled with less than mint, overproduced cards from the 90's.  The other had six or seven 3500ct. boxes filled with 80's and 90's baseball, basketball, football, and hockey cards that were laid out on the ground.  I picked up a few handfuls, but didn't see anything of interest.

He also had a few sets displayed on a table, but only one really stood out...

Purchase #11994 Topps Baseball Set  $5


Outside of Billy Wagner, there aren't any key rookie cards in this set, but there are a couple of cool factory set exclusives that make this set worth the crisp five dollar bill I handed over.  Each set contains a 1995 Topps Pre-Production set, ten Topps Gold parallels, and three Topps Black Gold inserts.  However the Superstar Sampler pack is the true hidden treasure.


What's the Superstar Sampler pack?  It's a three card pack in which all three cards will consist of the same player featured on three different cards1994 Finest, 1994 Bowman, and 1994 Stadium Club.  These cards are identical to their base cards with the exception of small Topps Superstar Sampler stamp on the back.  Collectors could only find these cards inside of specially marked factory sets.  When you consider that there are 45 different players available, you can see how finding any particular guy could potentially be a formidable challenge to player collectors.

Who did I pull?  Well... I haven't popped open my set yet.  But when I do, you guys will be the first to know.  I'm praying for Tony Gwynn, but I wouldn't be too disappointed if I pulled Cal Ripken Jr., Frank Thomas, Ken Griffey Jr., or Greg Maddux.

Well that wraps up my first and only flea market haul of 2019.  The only other thing I purchased was a $5 bag of tequila flavored pistachios... that were delicious.  My next opportunity to hit up a flea market with be the third Saturday of the month, which happens to be the last Saturday of winter.  Hopefully Mother Nature spreads a little sunshine across the Bay Area that weekend.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

Extra Innings

Daniel over at Its' Like Having My Own Card Shop recently purchased this set too.  It was part of a very impressive Facebook Marketplace haul that took place last week.  He was able to grab 19 Topps factory sets for $100.  If you're interested in reading his post, click here.  I'll say it again... it's impressive.

16 comments:

Dennis said...

I get all of my cardboard education from the Chronicles of Fuji! While I think I knew that some of those preview type cards came in those factory sets I'm pretty sure I wasn't aware that you got a pack of three cards all of the same player. Good luck pulling your Gwynns!

Nick Vossbrink said...

That's a pretty good haul. I hope they're not stuck together like so many of those mid-90s cards are.

kirk said...

a heck of a deal for a fiver.

Chris said...

I had a bunch of 90s Topps factory sets but I'm not sure if I still have this one. Might have to crack it open if I do. Nice find..and good luck pulling a player you collect!

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

This posts reminds me that I have a Less than a Lincoln post sitting.

Hackenbush said...

Five dollars is a no brainer. Even without the extras there have to be some great players and fun photography in 792 cards.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Dang, I had no clue the stuff they had in that factory set. Nice grab! Daylight savings doesn’t start here in Europe until the end of March.

Anonymous said...

If you see a shoe in a non-original colourway, it is either a sample, a fake or a ‘custom.’ Customs are shoes that have been Balenciaga Speed Trainer Replica hand detailed in some way. There are quite a few well known custom designers out there who are quite famous in their own right.

Peter K Steinberg said...

That price. Can't beat it. I'm hoping you get the Gwynn too. Good luck!

Matt said...

Great steal! Always jealous of your great snags

The Lost Collector said...

That's a great find!

Matt said...

Not a bad way to kick off the flea market season!

Bulldog said...

For $5 that is a no-brainer. Didn't know about those packs and look forward to seeing what you pull.,

Big Tone said...

The great thing about sets like this Is all the veteran star power you get with It.Yeah,you may not get many proven rookies but the big names like Ripken,Gwynn,Molitor etc. make up for that.

Baltmoss68 said...

Any factory set for 5 bucks is great. Tons of collecting options at a low low price!

Fuji said...

dennis - wish i could take credit... but i get all of my cardboard education from the internet. i'd be so stoked if there's a gwynn pack sitting in that set.

nick vossbrink - ugh. didn't think about that. i bet they are... especially since i bought this at a flea market. who knows how long these have been sitting in the sun

kirk - thanks. i'm happy with this purchase

chris - it's worth digging to see. but like nick says... be careful. the cards might be stuck together

john miller - less than a lincoln? i like it. haven't been reading blogs lately, but i plan to get back out there. hopefully i didn't miss your post.

hackenbush - yeah. and if i decide to expand my run of topps sets... this was an affordable way to do it.

sumomenkoman - daylight savings is kind of a pain in my butt. just starting to get used it.

peter k steinberg - thanks peter. crossing my fingers

parts of my past - they're becoming few and far between, but that's okay. they make me appreciate the ones i do come across that much more

the lost collector - thanks

matt - yeah. now i just need to find the time to get out there again. haven't been out there since.

bulldog - might have to wait awhile. the set is sitting in my office gathering dust for the time being.

big tone - yeah... great list of guys i collected when i was a kid.

baltmoss68 - agree. i'd pretty much buy any 700+ card factory set for that price. well... maybe not 1990 fleer or 1992 score.