30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Saturday Night Five: Proud to be an American

Two hundred thirty-nine years ago, the United States formally declared their independence from Great Britain and that's why we celebrate the 4th of July each year with baseball, barbecues, and fireworks.

Unfortunately, I messed up my back, so I won't be attending any games, watching any fireworks, and probably won't be barbecuing.

However... I do want to celebrate this special occasion, so I figured I'd show off some of my favorite Team USA collectibles.

#1:  2010 Marvel Heroes and Villians Sketch Card #NNO Captain America

Team USA:  1941 to Present

Is there anything out there more patriotic than Captain America?  I'm a huge fan of sketch cards and I immediately jumped at the chance to purchase this one of a kind masterpiece on COMC for $12.25.


#2:  2008 Donruss Americana Sports Legends Memorabilia #23 Bruce Jenner

Team USA:  1976 Olympics

Bruce.  Caitlyn.  1976 Olympic gold medalist.


#3:  1985 Topps #401 Mark McGwire

Team USA:  1984

It's hard to believe that collectors have been pulling this iconic rookie card out of packs for the past three decades.  Three decades.  Time sure flies by.


#4:  2003-04 Fleer Avant Stars and Stripes Jersey #TD Tim Duncan

Team USA:  2004 Olympics

I've always admired Tim Duncan and the way he approached the game.  In a sport that is defined by showboating and flashiness... he's humbly won five NBA titles, three NBA Finals MVP Awards, two NBA MVP Awards, an NBA All-Star Game MVP Award, and just about every other award imaginable.  Unfortunately a knee injury kept him from winning a gold medal with Team USA in 2000, but he did help the United States win a bronze in 2004.


#5:  Mike Eruzione Autographed Puck

Team USA:  1980 Olympics

The United States shocked the world in 1980 by beating the Soviet Union... and the event instantly became one of the greatest team sports moments in U.S. Olympic history.  Two days later, they would bring home the gold with a win against Finland.


Honorable Mention #1:  2004 Upper Deck USA Baseball Autograph #MAU Joe Mauer

Team USA:  2013 World Baseball Classic


Honorable Mention #2:  2012 Goodwin Champions Memorabilia #BL Brian Leetch

Team USA:  1988, 1998, and 2002 Olympics


Honorable Mention #3:  2013 Goodwin Champions Autograph #EW Eric Wynalda

Team USA:  1990, 1994, and 1998 World Cup


Honorable Mention #4:  Brandi Chastain Autographed Soccer Ball (Steiner COA)

Team USA:  1991 and 1999 World Cup


Honorable Mention #5:  2009 Upper Deck USA Winning Materials #29 Sonny Gray

Team USA:  2009-2010

Happy Birthday America!

Back in 2010, the year I started this blog, I wrote a similar post where I listed some cardboard featuring good old... red, white, and blue.  If you're interested in seeing what I posted back then, click here.

Happy 4th of July everyone!  Stay safe and enjoy your holiday weekend.  Happy Saturday and sayonara!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is the Brandi Chastain card in the autographed ball photo the same card as featured in your 2010 post?

That's a cool sketch card... I keep telling myself I should get at least one sketch card just to say I have a sketch card, but I say that about a lot of things.

shoeboxlegends said...

Love that sketch card Fuji!

Fuji said...

shlabotnikreport - Yeah. The following year I added the autographed ball to my collection. As for the sketch card... I've been collecting them for years. The good news is outside of a few popular artists, you can find most sketch cards for under $20 if you're patient.

shoeboxlegends - thanks! it was love at first sight.

Jason Culley said...

1985 Topps Mark McGwire . . . regardless of the whole steroid thing, still one of my choices for one of the most iconic cards of the 1980's.

Fuji said...

Totally agree. Back in the late 80's, I had mine in one of those 1 inch lucite holders.