30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, July 11, 2015

Saturday Night Five: A Beautiful Mind

Earlier in the month, I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of one of the greatest film score composers of all-time... Mr. James Horner.  I'm a huge fan of instrumentals from soundtracks, and I'll often play them for my students while they're working on projects.  It's great for keeping them on task and they love trying to guess what movies they're from.  Horner has always ranked up there... along with John Williams, Hans Zimmer, and Howard Shore as my personal favorites.

Over the years, his music has been featured in over 100 films... most of which I haven't watched.  But I've seen enough to appreciate his music on the handful of movies I watched.

Tonight's post highlights my five favorite movies featuring music composed by Mr. Horner.  I based my ratings solely on the music and not the movie itself.  However... Braveheart is one of my all-time favorites... and Glory would probably break into my Top 50 list.


#1 Titanic




#2 Braveheart




#3 Glory




#4 Legends of the Fall




#5 The Perfect Storm


In addition to these soundtracks, I also have music from Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan, Enemy at the Gates, and A Beautiful Mind on my classroom playlist... all of which were composed by Mr. Horner.

What about you?

Are you a fan of James Horner's work?  Do you have a favorite?

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

7 comments:

Commishbob said...

Yes, I'm a fan of movie scores in general and Horner in particular. Of the movies he's scored my favorite, by far, is Glory.

I also love any score/soundtrack that features Lisa Gerrard. Look up the Russell crow movie The Insider. She's fabulous.

Commishbob said...

See if this link works:

https://youtu.be/vkFfCQVjc3w

Eric Bracke said...

KKKKKHHHHHHAAAAANNNNNNN! Good choices.

Man said...

Great list-Legends of the Fall-truley under rated

Fuji said...

Loved Lisa Gerrard in her Gladiator scores with Hans Zimmer. I hadn't heard of her work on the Insider, but I'll definitely be adding it to my classroom list. Thanks for sharing.

Fuji said...

Such an awesome movie!

Fuji said...

100% agree!