30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Bobble + Ball + Walk-off Win = The Perfect Game

Chances are... if you're going to the ballpark to see your favorite team play... you're going to have fun.  How much fun depends on variables such as the company, the food, and the outcome of the game.


Yesterday, I went to the Oakland Coliseum to watch the Athletics host the Minnesota Twins and it ended up being one of the greatest ballpark experiences I've ever had.


My friend asked me if I was interested in going to this game a few weeks back, because they were giving away Hello Kitty bobbleheads.


Originally, I wasn't very interested.  Then I heard that the Twins were playing, which meant that Kurt Suzuki was back in town.  I was even more excited to hear that he was in their starting lineups.

After we stood in line for about twenty minutes, we grabbed our bobbles and headed to our seat in the bleachers.  The Twins were taking their batting practice and one of them smashed the ball towards us.  It fell a little short, but the guy standing next to me called out to Tommy Milone, who was shagging balls and asked him to throw it up to us.


He threw it right at me.  Talk about being in the right place at the right time.  The guy next to me wasn't amused, since he called for it... but I can't help it if Tommy threw it right at me.

Later on I found out that the guy has actually taken home forty-two batting practice balls this season.  Thank goodness.  I no longer have to feel guilty.


The best part of the evening was the game itself.  But I'm pretty sure nobody wants to read a long recap, when you can watch the highlights on YouTube, I'll summarize it up in seventy words or less:

Great pitching duel.  Billy Butler breaks scoreless tie with a home run in the 7th.  Poor Defense + Another Bullpen Disaster = Twins take the lead in the 9th.  The A's don't give up and tie it in the bottom half of the inning.  The next inning, all-star Stephen Vogt drives in the winning run.  Second walk-off win this season for the Athletics and the crowd goes wild.

The perfect ending to the perfect ballpark experience.

I hope all of you are enjoying your weekend as much as I am.  Happy Sunday and sayonara!

5 comments:

Tony L. said...

Congrats on the ball!

Zippy Zappy said...

It's nice to know that somebody can actually have a great time at major league baseball games. Congrats on the bobble head, the ball and the walk-off.

Man said...

Love the O and A's fans-glad for you, "Why hello, hello kitty"

Jupiterhill said...

Sounds perfect to me. Glad Butler hit a home run, I still root for him.

Today it sounds like Oakland had a lot of fun.

Fuji said...

Tony - Thanks!

Zippy - I always have fun at MLB games. Just hate the long drive, sitting in traffic, and dealing with rude fans. Everything else is just peachy.

B-Man - Thanks!

Jupiterhill - Yeah... Kept thinking... where were those bats on Saturday ;)