30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, March 6, 2015

Let the Cardboard Marathon Begin...

2 Flea Markets + 1 Card Show = 1 Excited Collector

This weekend is the annual GT Sports Marketing Santa Clara Card Show.  It's actually more of an autograph convention, but there should be anywhere from 5 to 20 card vendors.  It used to be a pretty good card show.  However each years seems to draw less and less vendors, which is sad because I actually think the number of collectors attending is rising.

I'll be heading down there tonight, since there's no admission fee.  My goal is to add at least one new 1956 Topps baseball hall of famer to my collection plus as many dime box deals as I can get my hands on.

Tomorrow is the first Saturday of the month, which means that De Anza Flea Market will be open.  Will you be there Brady?  Mr. Haverkamp?

My flea market expectations are a lot lower these days, but worst case scenario is I get some exercise and eat a churro.

I'll close out the weekend with the Capitol Flea Market.  I skipped it last weekend, because it rained on Saturday.  What does that mean?  It means that I haven't eat tequila flavored pistachios in almost two weeks.

Stay tuned for a recap of this weekend's purchases.  In the meantime, I wanted to show off some cards that Tim over at I Love the Smell of Cardboard in the Morning sent my way:

2009 Topps Legends of the Game Manufactured Patch #LPR-90

Like everything else in our hobby... Topps manufactured patches have their share of supporters as well as people who think they're wasted filler.  Personally I enjoy them.  Their arrival in our hobby helped balance things out with the overabundance of no-name autographs and memorabilia cards that may or may not be legit.

At least with manufactured patches, you know what you're holding in your hand.  In this particular case... it's a sweet new addition to my Frank Thomas PC that honors those who played in the 1994 MLB All-Star Game.

2000 MVP Prosign #JV

Did you know that Jose Vidro is on almost every Montreal Expos' offensive Top 10 list?  He's also a three time all-star, the recipient of a Silver Sluggers Award, and a candidate for most under-appreciated Expo in franchise history.

1998-99 BAP #267

This card exemplifies underrated.  I'm shocked that more hockey fans aren't attracted to this particular Be A Player product.  The autograph set featured on-card signatures of some of the biggest names in the game.  I also like how the black Sharpie stands out on the silver foil.  But my favorite thing about this card is the player.  Jeff Friesen is one of the greatest players to wear the Sharks' logo.  Unfortunately he's often forgotten among younger fans who didn't have the pleasure to see him skate.

Tim was also kind enough to send me a pair of basketball cards...


A few years ago, I stopped following basketball for a variety of reasons.  However I still enjoy adding cards to my Lakers, Warriors, and Jordan PC every now and then.  Seeing Jordan in his Bullets' jersey is like seeing Reggie in an Orioles' jersey.

Last, but certainly not least are these two 2015 Topps cards for my set:


Tim and a pair of other bloggers (Baseball Dad and JediJeff) graciously offered to help me with my set and thanks to them, I'm down to needing only six more cards:


Thank you Tim, Jack, and Jeff for helping me out with my set.  Hopefully the three of your care packages arrived this week.  If not, they should be there this weekend.

Happy Friday and sayonara!

5 comments:

Mark said...

Those early BAP sets are vastly underrated. I found a dealer at the National that had an entire box of them at 7/$5. The autograph really pops on the gold parallel, and they're among some of my favorite Pens cards in meager collection.

Tim B. said...

Glad you enjoyed the bonus cards I was able to put together quickly. I will definitely have some more to send you soon!

JediJeff said...

I really like the BAP cards, and for the exact reason you state: on card autos of great players.

Matt said...

Nice additions! I look forward to see what you acquire at the show

Dion's IP Autos only said...

Hey Fuji,
I got this not sure if you get these so thought I'd pass it on check out the link

https://paniniamerica.wordpress.com/2015/03/06/the-panini-america-quality-control-gallery-2015-donruss-baseball-126-revealing-pics/#more-102729

Thanks,
Dion