30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Depression & Don West


Whenever I'm feeling down and out, I turn to my college buddy and hobby hero... Mr. Don West. During the 90's, Don and I would hang out until the wee hours as he'd entertain me with his legendary sales pitches.

A few days ago, our lives crossed paths again. And I assure you... it couldn't have come at a better time. You see... my life sort of fell apart this weekend. Oh heck... there's no point in hiding it, since I'm sure all of you have heard by now...


The Green Bay Packers lost their first game of the season.

There... I said it. Now, it's time to move forward... and this video of my buddy Don helped me take the first step:


So did you watch it? In case you didn't... my buddy is selling some baseball cards and "at this price, you can't afford not to buy it." Here's his offer:

- One hundred baseball cards from the 70's for $34.90 ($29.95 + $4.95 shipping/handling).
- Each package is unique and randomly pulled from an assortment of killer '70s baseball cards!
- Cards in the video are an example of what might be found.
- Your cards may or may not arrive in plastic cases.

It's tempting right? I mean... don't take it from me... here are direct quotes from the man himself:

"Nothing that I've ever sold before, in the past compares to this moment right now."

"And I mean this from the bottom of my heart... BUY THIS... because this is the greatest deal ever offered on any kind of media in the history of the world and I'm not kidding."

"You'll feel so good about yourself".

"C'mon... It takes you back to when baseball was pure."

"Don't question this deal... just order it."

"Order now... and relive your dreams... and go back in time...we don't get that opportunity very often."

Alright... what do you think? Anyone else want to "relive your dreams"? Seriously... if I was a billionaire and money wasn't an issue, I'd consider buying one of these just so I could post a review. But the fact is... $34.95 can buy me a ton of 70's cards on COMC that I actually want.

So, if I have any readers who are wealthy, I implore you to head over to my Don's site... Wild West Deals and pick up one of these packages.

If not... I hope at the very least you were entertained by my buddy who's offering "the greatest deal offered on any kind of media in the history of the world."

Today's question is...

On a scale of 1 (he's worse than expired redemption cards) to 10 (best thing since on-card autographs)...

How entertaining do you find this guy?

Happy Hump Day and sayonara!

7 comments:

Captain Canuck said...

1

he's the reason i stopped watching card shows on tv.

Anybody remember Tom Chambers and Mike Benz on Shop At Home? These guys were entertaining and taught you all about cards and sets while they took your money.

Ryan G said...

I remember Tom and Mike. I think I wasn't collecting while I saw them on the air, and I was very negative about them because of their prices. "Bah, it's just a QVC for cards." But they sure were excited about cards!

Offy said...

11! I spent many a night laughing at Don and his GEM MINT 10 ROOKIE CARDS!

Chris P said...

I find him pretty sleazy, saying things like packs of 1987 Topps Baseball costs 3-4 bucks a pack is downright lying. Or hyping a Dave Winfield 1990 donruss card as one of the hall of fame cards you get, c'mon now! I feel sorry for any uneducated collector who falls for this crap. I did hate Ken Goldin even more though, to be honest, especially calling Michael Jordan North Carolina College Cards graded BGGC 10 "Gem Mint Rookie Cards". lol

Fuji said...

captain - don't remember tom and mike... but if they were on in my area, i'm sure i watched it.

ryan - you grew up in the bay area right? so maybe i did watch tom and mike too.

offy - heck yeah... straight comedy

chris p - when you put it that way, i see your point. they (don and ken) were straight up liars, which is why i found them hilarious... but that's because i knew they exaggerated. if i knew someone who was scammed by one of these guys, i'd probably find it less entertaining.

Ryan G said...

Fuji - I might have seen them while I was in Georgia. I didn't watch much TV when I lied in California.

Fuji said...

ryan - thanks for the feedback... i tried looking up tom and mike from shop at home, but couldn't find any videos with them selling cards. totally bummed.