30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, December 26, 2020

TWiB: 2nd Best, My 2¢, and a Soaring Eagle

I knew going into yesterday that my Christmas was going to be much different than any previous year.  But thanks to a family Zoom and a delicious prime rib dinner, it turned out much better than anticipated.  Hopefully all of you enjoyed the day too.

Outside of some very generous blogger care packages, I didn't receive any baseball cards this year from my friends or family, but I do have a pretty cool collectible I'm excited to show off on Monday.

In the meantime... let's take a look at This Week in Blogging.


#1Let's Get Trivial

What's your favorite thing about reading card blogs?  Seeing cool cards?  Discovering a new set?  How about learning a new fact?

1975 Topps #397

Well if you answered "yes" to the latter, you're in luck... because I'm passing on some baseball knowledge I learned this morning over on The Shlabotnik Report.  In his latest edition of 1970's, A to Z... he wrote about Bill Freehan and how he was an all-star in eleven out of his fifteen seasons with the Detroit Tigers.

Now the bulk of Freehan's career was played before I was around... so I can't really comment on his career.  But being an 11x MLB All-Star sounds pretty impressive to me.


In fact with the exception of Pete Rose, Miguel Cabrera, and a bunch of guys from the PED Era... he holds the record for being named to the most all-star games without being inducted into Cooperstown.

How close did Freehan come to being inducted?  Not close.  He only received 0.5% of the votes back in 1982.  Now his only hope lies with the Eras Committees.

Can't show off a Freehan card without sharing a link to one of his biggest fansJohn Sharp.


#2Second Place Trophy

A famous fictional stock car racer once said... "If you ain't first, you're last", but don't tell Dime Box Nick that.  He wrote an awesome Christmas Eve post that honored some of the most famous second-place finishers in MLB history.

1974 Topps #1

1984 Fleer #412

It featured guys like Hank Aaron (#2 All-Time MLB Home Run Leader) and Carl Yastrzemski (#2 Games Played).

2015 Donruss Gwynn Tribute #4

Then I remembered that Tony Gwynn's eight batting titles are the 2nd most in MLB history... right behind Ty Cobb.

2001 UD Hall of Famers Class of '36 #C5

Gwynn isn't alone.  He shares the second place trophy with Honus Wagner.

I'm not the biggest advocate for participation trophies, but for this post... I'll make an exception.


#3My Two Cents

Retail flipping has been on a lot of collector's minds lately and earlier this week Matt over at Cards Over Coffee wrote a great piece on the issue.  I encourage you to just click here and read the post yourself, but if you're looking for a quick summary... he talks about his father adopting the new mentality of buying retail and flipping it.

Now I'm sure I'm going to catch heat for my opinion, but I'll share it anyways.

I actually don't blame his dad.  If he doesn't profit off of it, someone else will.  I totally agree that it sucks to find barren retail shelves.  But in the world we live in, people need to make a living and selling cards is better than selling drugs.

I think the problem actually falls on the shoulders of the card companies and retail outlets.  Maybe card companies should offer up the boxes on their websites, but limit the number of boxes collectors can purchase to allow everyone an equal opportunity instead of giving priority to select customers.

As for retail outlets, I'd have no problem with them keeping the boxes behind the counter and limiting them to one box per customer.  Or how about announcing the specific days that new products arrive that way everyone available on those days has a shot of grabbing at least one box.

My main issue with the flippers is the shadiness behind the whole thing.  Like I have a couple of friends who know people at Target who let them know when new product comes in.  In my mind... that's wrong.

As for me... you probably know that I'm not a flipper.  But if I'm walking around Target and I see Prizm Basketball or Prizm Football... I'd buy up every single box they have.  So how can I possibly blame Matt's father?


#4Before the Era of Vick

1986 McDonald's Eagles #12

On Tuesday... Elliptical Man showed off some cards from Chris The Collector.  One of them was a card of Randall Cunningham.


Cunningham was a stud back in the late 80's and early 90's.  If you're ever bored, I'd encourage you to check out his highlight videos on YouTube.

1986 McDonald's Eagles #91

Back in June, I purchased a 1986 McDonald's Philadelphia Eagles set for $7.99 (+ $.74 tax) on eBay.  The set also contains an early card of hall of famer, Reggie White.  Although neither of these cards are considered rookie cards, they're still cool and cheap cards.

Well that wraps up another issue of This Week in Blogging.  There were a few other items I was planning to cover, but after I rambled on and on about flipping retail... it ended up hitting the cutting room floor.

One of these posts has inspired a new eBay search and if I ever end up buying it... I'll be sure to give that blogger full credit.

Until then...

What are you thoughts on retail cards, participation trophies, and Freehan's chances of eventually making it into Cooperstown?

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

23 comments:

Jeremya1um said...

I like retail. It’s the main way I get packs, and I find it frustrating that flippers get the majority of the packs and boxes before regular collectors can. They could drive prices through the roof and stop this hobby in its tracks by pricing the new collectors (kids) out of the hobby and only allowing the middle class/rich to participate. I like the idea of them being behind the counter and only 1 per.
I don’t like participation trophies. Makes achievements not worth as much. It is good to recognize 2nd and 3rd place and the upper echelon when enough people are in the contest though.
I’m a Tigers fan, but I’m a little disappointed with the recent Tigers elected. I’m still on the fence about Jack Morris being in, and after looking over Trammell’s stats, I don’t think he was quite good enough, and if they aren’t, I don’t think you can justify Lou Whitaker in, and I think you can almost lump Freehan and Lance Parrish together as perennial All-Stars but not Hall of Famers. Seems like lately the guys who I want to get in like Dave Parker, Schilling, Andruw Jones, Vizquel, and a few others didn’t get in, but guys like Baines are somehow in. Hopefully better news in a few weeks.

Peter K Steinberg said...

Merry Christmas Mark! Hope that you are well and safe. I've stopped buying retail after building two setts in 2016 and 2018. Just isn't worth the money for me.

Mike said...

I am fine with participation trophies. If a small trophy or keepsake can make a kid happy and/or enjoy something more, it doesn't really matter to me if it is something that I would personally want.

At this point, I doubt that Bill Freehan will make the HOF, mostly because he has never seemed to be a serious candidate on the veterans committee ballots. His ASG berths are a tad bit inflated due to AL catcher being very weak during his era, but, if one adjusts for position, he does have a legit (if borderline) case for the HOF. I would personally be more than fine with him being in, although that holds true for a lot of players.

Elliptical Man said...

I mentioned box breakers in my Festivus post. Probably should have mentioned flippers as well, if they're doing it on a mass scale.

I don't consider being honored for 2nd place a participation trophy. You do you though.

Freehan was an 11-time All-Star, and as I mentioned in my Cardbarrel post, a 5-Gold Glove winner. But he lacks the offensive numbers.

Reggie started his pro career with the Memphis Showboats, so his rookie card might be USFL. Though some people might consider it an XRC. Steve Young, Jim Kelly, Herschel Walker, and Anthony Carter probably fall into this category as well.

night owl said...

I don't have anything to share on your prompts. Either tired of rehashing the same old or simply don't care.

But I will answer your earlier question: One of my favorite parts about reading blogs is learning something new. The blogs that always provide new info are my favorites. And the blogs that never do that, well, pick up the slack!

Nick said...

I have no problem with people wanting to make a few bucks off cards -- my issue comes with those who buy/sell cards purely for profit, and nothing else. It's called a "hobby" for a reason, and anyone looking to invest/capitalize/other business jargon should go trade stocks.

gcrl said...

Cunningham to moss remains one of the greatest football connections I've seen in my lifetime, but I still think of him as an eagle.
I sometimes buy undervalued cards to flip, or sell unwanted cards from packs I open, but I don't buy retail to sell it unopened. It would be nice if the flippers you speak of were considerate of others but that's not the case. I once saw a local card dealer that I bought from at the monthly card shows at a target doing some pack searching. I asked him what he was doing and he just shrugged. I don't buy from him anymore, but enough people do, I am sure.
I don't think freehan makes it. Right now, it doesn't look like anyone will get in this year based on the latest ballot tracking, but I would be in favor of some of the players on the ballot making it.

Unknown said...

I miss buying retail boxes. Cheap way to buy a few packs to see if you like the product. Adds variety to a collection. I don't want to have to buy a dam hobby box of each product.

sg488 said...

Freehan a HOF ,no way .Some all star years are legit ,but lets take for instance 1973 6 home runs, 29 rbis and a .234 ba. and he was named to the all star team that year?Huh?

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

With the past few years laying off the "current" year blasters, I have no opinion on "flipping", I do though hate "pack searching". As for Freehan, put him in. I'll add him to my PC's.

Bo said...

Freehan benefitted from the rule that you had to have at least one player on each team, the Tigers of the '70s just didn't have that many stars until the end of the decade.

I have an '86 McDonald's Mark Gastineau that I got in a McDonald's in 1986, just when I started collecting cards. I think I had someone else too but that card is long gone, even from my memory.

SumoMenkoMan said...

I like retail, but sucks I can’t pick one up here and there. Dang flippers....a really sorry part off the industry side of the hobby right now.

Nick Vossbrink said...

Retail: Only way I can find packs. Only way for my kids to afford packs. This past summer has almost knocked them out of the hobby. I'd love for retail to have zero hits and be available for kids all summer without worrying about flippers or searchers.

Participation trophies: Love them for youth sports. Even more now that I've coached with my kids. Emphasizing winning at a young age is total trash. Emphasizing teamwork, sportsmanship, improvement, learning, etc. on the other hand is what it's all about. When I give out the participation plaques at the end of the season it's an award for showing up and getting better.

Freehan: Should be in. Won't get in. HoF does a crap job with catchers (I'm not sure Posey or Mauer (both of whom have my (hypothetical) vote) get in either)

Matt said...

First off, thanks for the shoutout! Secondly, I love to read blogs because it usually leads me to wanting something I forgot about.

The Lost Collector said...

I don't care whatsoever if someone buys/flips. I think the people who say "it's a hobby" and "cards are not an investment" are just as bad, just on the other extreme. Collect the way you want, and let others do the same...even if that means buying boxes and never opening or "collecting."

Glad you had a good Christmas given the circumstances!

Jon said...

I scrolled down to say this very thing, but AJ said it much more eloquently than I would have, so just go ahead and add a +1 to his comment :)

cardboardhogs said...

#1 I have honestly never heard of Bill Freehan, until now. Kinda before my time (mostly) as well. Per wikipedia, looks like he was quite the fielder...respectable hitter.
#2 I'm 100% against participation trophies...but i'm also a 70's kid. I loved Nick's post on the runner ups mostly due to the amazing list of names that were on there.
#3 I'm torn on the whole flipping thing. Love the free market, but want something less expensive than hobby to open now and again.
#4 If i'm being honest, i'd probably be an Eagles fan if i wasn't a Washington fan...mostly due to Cunningham...he was so much fun to watch. Doesn't get the respect he deserves.

Brett Alan said...

Joe Posnanski is doing a thing about the 100 best players NOT in the Hall of Fame (who are retired long enough). He had Freehan at #49, which sounds about right. He's got a case, and he certainly should have gotten more than half of one percent of the vote. But I'd rather see the era committees elect, say, Lou Whitaker, Luis Tiant, Keith Hernandez, and Tommy John.

The Snorting Bull said...

1. I love retail. I don't really collect the Topps base sets anymore, but I like to pick up a few packs from time to time. Feel like it keeps me somewhat connected to what is going on with current baseball card products.

2. I really don't have a straight answer on participation trophies. It depends on the situation and who is involved.

3. I think Freehan belongs in the Hall of Fame. No idea why he is not at this point.

Chris said...

I like Nick's take on "participation" trophies. While I don't necessarily think everyone should get a trophy I do think that at the youth level every kid should be recognized for something - teamwork, improvement, defense.. whatever. Encouragement is always good. But I also believe that there should be a clear distinction between 1st place/2nd/3rd and the teams that didn't place.

Anywho.. my Father in Law was a big Bill Freehan fan. I'd defer to him if he were still with us. From what I've seen he was really, really good but not on the level of a Munson or Simmons.

Fuji said...

jeremya1um - hopefully we don't start seeing dime boxes disappear, because i enjoy cheap cards too as much as kids. speaking of kids, i worry that there are just too many other things out there that interest them instead of cards. i hope card companies can figure out that problem, otherwise cards will go the way of stamp collecting

peter k steinberg - i still buy a blaster here or there, but it's so much cheaper just to buy the sets you want than to buy blasters and build them. although set builders will argue that my way is much less fun.

mike - appreciate the insight on the al catcher during freehan's era. that's the kind of info i just don't have.

elliptical man - 2nd place and participation was definitely an exaggeration. something i do from time to time. if i were 100% real... although i'm not the biggest fan of participation trophies... i'm 100% for silver and bronze medals at the olympics

night owl - yeah... after a decade, it gets hard to come up with new questions. then again... i forget what people commented... plus it gives new readers a chance to share their thoughts

nick - good point about it being called a hobby. anyways... gotta imagine stocks are a much better investment overall in the long run. but i don't sell either, so i have no idea

gcrl - as a packers fan, i remember the cunningham/moss duo during the 1998 season. moss was in a league of his own. wonder what his career would have been like if he gave his best 100% of the time. my lcs has tons of retail blasters. not sure if they send out guys to grab it or if they buy it second hand. sure hope they're not pack searching.

unknown - never really looked at retail as kind of a sampler, but you're right. i like value... so i've never been big on retail (with the exception of 2019 chrome... i loved that stuff). i typically buy it to give me my fix

sg488 - lol. good point. mike made a good point too by stating that some years the al was weak in regards to the catcher position.

johnnys trading spot - i typically reserve using the word hate for special things... especially within our hobby. but yeah, i hate pack searching too.

Fuji said...

bo - another good point about freehan. very cool that you were able to grab a mcdonalds card during the promotion. i did too, but mine were raiders and 49ers

sumomenkoman - it does suck that the average collector in most parts of the country can't go and just buy a blaster if he or she wanted to. something needs to change

nick vossbrink - so glad to hear that your kids enjoy collecting cards. hope they stay in the hobby. thanks for your feedback on participation trophies. i do feel at the younger age the focus should be on sportsmanship, teamwork, learning, and improvement as well.

matt - that's a good reason to read blogs too. i probably have 10 to 15 blog inspired purchases each year. by the way... you inspired one of my recent purchases that i'll be sharing one of these days

the lost collector and jon - i'm definitely down for collecting the way you want and letting others do the same. p.s. i'm one of those people who collect unopened boxes.

cardboardhogs - i think being a 70's kid or just from an older generation definitely played a role in my opinion on participation trophies as well. although i do appreciate the feedback and i'm willing to keep an open mind. as for guys like cunningham and freehan... that's one of the benefits of card blogs... they open the eyes of collectors to athletes they might not be familiar with

brett alan - oh... that sounds like a great piece. i'll have to look it up when i'm finished commenting. i'm looking forward to seeing guys like gil hodges, dave parker, and dick allen land on his list

the snorting bull - after reading nick vossbrink's comment... i do feel like it depends on the situation and who is involved as well.

chris - nick has opened my eyes and made me rethink my stance. as for 2nd and 3rd... i was just exaggerating the situation. when it comes to things like the olympics, i have no problem with silver and bronze medals. as for freehan... i guess we'll see how things play out. but a few comments have opened my eyes on his legacy as well.

Brett Alan said...

Gotta mention Dick Allen and Minnie Miñoso too!