30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, December 17, 2020

The Era of Innovation

Do you have a favorite decade in regards to sports cards?  If you forced me to choose, I'd probably go with the 80's... since that's when I started collecting.  There's just something about cheap 80's rookie cards and hall of famers that look amazing in 9-pocket pages.

That being said... the 70's and 90's are right behind it and the race is tighter than you might think.  I absolutely love 70's Topps baseball card designs and all of the bright colors used that sort of define that decade for me.  And when it comes to oddball issues... 70's Kellogg's are in a league of their own.  Toss in Hostess cards and it's pretty easy to see why I love 70's trading cards so much.

As for the 90's... I feel like it was the Era of Innovation in regards to sports card ingenuityCompetition among card companies was fierce and the result were gorgeous looking cards that are still being replicated in the industry right now.

One of my favorite things to collect are pack pulled, on-card autographs and memorabilia cards.  Both of these things arrived in the 90's.  And as much as I complain about the plethora of inserts and parallels pushed on collectors in today's market... there's something about the ones produced in the 90's that I enjoy and appreciate.

Today's post is going to focus on four 90's cards that arrived in my COMC shipment last week.

Let's kick things off with some shiny cardboard known as refractors:

1998 Topps Chrome Flashback Refractor #FB6

If I never make another purchase on COMC, then this card will hold the distinction of being my final COMC purchase.  I paid $3.15 for this card and immediately requested my inventory to be shipped.  This purchase left me with exactly $0.00 credit in my account.


My scanner doesn't do this card justice, but it's a truly beautiful card.  My only complaint is that this card doesn't really have a true frontBoth sides contain fine print... although I assume the Brown & Gold 1984 Gwynn is suppose to be the back, because it contains the card number.

Some of you might recognize the other refractor I purchased...

1997 Bowman Chrome Scout's Honor Roll Refractor #SHR10

If you collected baseball cards in 1997 and 1998, then you know who Jose Cruz Jr. is.



I picked up this card for nostalgic purposes and a reminder that a $50 card today can be a 64¢ card a few decades later.

Let's transition from refractors to a foil parallel.  Are you ready for a card that captures a memorable moment in baseball history?  Here ya go...

1994 Score Gold Rush #61

Yup.  That's the famous game where Canseco pitched an inning at Fenway against the Red Sox.  Although he struggled and allowed three runs, he did manage to get hall of famer Andre Dawson to fly out.


The big news is that Canseco injured his arm while warming up in the bullpen.  He ended up pitching and continued to play for a few more weeks.  Eventually he realized something wasn't right and the team doctors confirmed he needed Tommy John surgery.


Although this card is quite the novelty for fans like me, I wonder what Rangers fans thought when they pulled this card out of a pack and read the back.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the next card was a blog inspired purchase:

1993 Topps Inaugural Colorado Rockies #5

In 1993... Topps produced two specially stamped factory sets honoring the two newest MLB teams:  the Colorado Rockies and the Florida Marlins.  I'm pretty sure I saw a single on someone's blog... which motivated me to run out and grab this card.

I don't typically dig deep into my wallet for parallels like these.  Luckily this one only set me back $1.25.

It goes well with my other 1993 Topps Gwynns:

1993 Topps #5
1993 Topps Gold #5
1993 Topps Gold #5
1993 Topps Micro #5

I'm still missing the Florida Marlins version, but I'm not stressing too much over it.  And if you're wondering why I scanned two different gold parallels... it's because the one on the left features more of a rose colored gold compared to the one on the right.  I know this technically isn't a variation... but there's enough of a difference that I keep both in my binder.

As for the Micro... it's much, much smaller than the standard card...


Well that wraps up another group of cards from my COMC haul.  Not sure when I'll be publishing the next one, but until then feel free to answer the question of the day:

What's your favorite decade in regards to collecting cards?

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

19 comments:

Dennis said...

90s uber alles! There's never been a better decade for choice and innovation. I love those Flashbacks like your Gwynn in all the versions (flagship, Chrome, Refractor).

bbcardz said...

I love the 70's cards but only through 1975. The 1976 through 1979 designs are "meh".

night owl said...

'70s all day every day. "Innovation"? Yeah, OK, Kellogg's cards were innovative, but just give me something bright and colorful. The '70s did that.

John Sharp said...

The 1970s, for sure, with the 1971 Topps set being my All-Time favorite. The '60s are second, then the '80s. Lots of great cards in that 30 year span.

Good Job. 👍

Peter K Steinberg said...

Definitely the 80s. Even in the last few years, more and more sets are being, seemingly, "discovered" and added to TCDB. Which is sometimes frustrating, but sometimes not. I recently posted Kruk & Strawberry Inaugural Marlins/Rockies cards so I might have to accept responsibility for that Gwynn. Which I gladly do.

Unknown said...

'60s. Loaded with all time great MLB players. The '67s and '69s have some great photos. Only downside is way too many hatless players.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Late 1980s is still my favorite. Can resist cards during that time. Fun fact, I attended the very first home game of the Rockies back in 1993 with my Grandpa. Good ol Mile High Stadium. Cool cards for sure!

Rebel Coyote said...

The late 80s because that when it started and growing up. Unlike today of prospecting you were interested in stars such as Mark McGwire, Jose Canseco, Rickey Henderson, Wade Boggs to the rookies and future stars such as Gregg Jefferies, Randy Johnson, John Smoltz, and Tim Pyrzynski (Topps Future Stars logo was a thing). Lots of variety from Topps, Fleer, Donruss, Score, and Upper Deck. It was whole new world and bubble

Elliptical Man said...

The Canseco's a good get.

They honored the Rockies with a Padre?

For baseball, I'd pick the 1980s.

Jeremya1um said...

I love the ‘90’s. All of the new technologies with the printing processes, die cuts, serial numbers, jersey cards, autographs...so many things that got introduced that were and still are fun to collect. The designs for most of the base cards were nice, as well. For me, only 1997 and 1999 lacked quality as far as Topps vase designs in the ‘90’s.
Speaking of the ‘90’s, that Jose Cruz, Jr. card brings me back. In 1998 or so, anything Bowman/Bowman Chrome of Cruz, Jr., Kerry Wood, and Travis Lee was on fire.
That Gwynn Flashbacks card is nice, too. I have the Brady Anderson refractor from that set, and you are right. They do pop in hand.

Nick Vossbrink said...

1980s. Not batshit insane but still lots of variety. Nothing too expensive. No focus on rarity. Lawyers and licensing hadn't ruined the fun yet. Regionals were still regional.

The Lost Collector said...

The 90s were incredible, and I keep discovering new inserts, diecuts, clearcuts, and the like. The '90s were the greatest era of cards, and it's not particularly close in my opinion.

Nick Vossbrink said...

I should add though that the 1990s are the pinnacle of card photography. Action, posed, casual, silly. Printing and photography technology had gotten to the point where you could do quality for cheap. And every set seems to have had a willingness to print everything and anything photographic rather than today's "all look same" se design.

Matt said...

Eighties kid all the way!

Billy Kingsley said...

The 1990s are the best decade for everything except cars.

gcrl said...

So much variety in the 90s! I would cherrypick 1995-2004 if i could choose any 10 year period. Glory years for Ultra and Pacific!

Fuji said...

dennis - if i were in a buying mode... i'd probably build that refractor set since they're pretty affordable.

bbcardz - no love for the 1976 design? lol. but yeah... 1972 and 1975 are two of my favorite sets. and i love the photography in the 1973 and 1974 sets.

night owl - colorful indeed. just another reason i enjoy the 1972, 1975, and 1976 topps sets.

john sharp - i can find positive things to say about all three of those decades. 1971 is an interesting pick for all-time favorite set. not sure i've every heard that, but i love that we all have our own favorites

peter k steinberg - that's right you did blog about them. i'm trying to hunt down the 1994 spanish gwynn because of your blog too

unknown - the 60's definitely had some star studded checklists. and i love the 1960 and 1965 designs.

sumomenkoman - that is awesome. i hope you write a post about that experience one day.

rebel coyote - first off... nice to see back to back late 80's votes. i can't say i'm the biggest fan of the 88 and 89 set designs (except upper deck, bowman, and topps big), but i loved that i was part of the hobby back then. good times.

elliptical man - set me back a full 60¢. just wish i could remember where i originally saw this card, because i know it was on a blog. they honored the rockies (and marlins) with every single team and card in the set.

jeremya1um - mario from wax pack heaven inspired the jose cruz jr purchase, but it's definitely a part of my collecting history. sounds like you and i could hang out and talk 90's cardboard for hours

nick vossbrink - 80's regionals are definitely underrated. being a bay area guy, i'm glad i was exposed to granny goose and mother's cookies cards. and you're spot on with 90's photography.

the lost collector - not going to argue. good thing most of tino's cards are from that decade ;D

matt - i'm an 80's kid too! well... 70's and 80's. but i started collecting in the 80's

billy kingsley - but billy... those 90's supras were sure pretty

gcrl - the 10 year period would be a fun experiment. i wasn't a fan of pacific back then, but i enjoy them now.

Fuji said...

And here are the results of the favorite decade for collecting cards poll:

60's - X
70's - XXX
80's - XXXXXX
90's - XXXXX

CinciCuse Bill said...

I don't really have a favorite decade for collecting, but I seem to gravitate to pre-1980 cards. This post however, showed some great cards! Now I'd like to add that Canseco card to my Unique Cards collection!