30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, December 29, 2020

One Hit Wonder

On Christmas Eve, I stumbled across some bad news.  Now I'll go ahead and preface things by stating the obvious.  There are plenty of different levels of bad news and the last thing I want to do is make make light of the people struggling with health, mental, physical, financial, or any other serious stuff that might be going on right now with others around the world.

Actually... after writing this... I'll just go ahead and revise things by stating that I received some annoying news.

Last Thursday, I invested the entire afternoon watching Away on Netflix.  If you're not familiar with the show, it's a science fiction drama about a group of international astronauts on the first manned expedition to Mars.  I remember seeing this show pop up on my list of recommendations back in September, so I added it to my watchlist and this holiday break provided me with the free time to check it out.

By the end of the second or third episode, I was hooked.  After binge watching the first six or seven episodes, I decided to look up when Season 2 would be coming out and that's when I was hit with the news that Netflix had decided to cancel it.

That totally blows.  It might not be one of the greatest shows of all-time, but it held my attention and I really was looking forward to seeing how things played out.  

Anyways... my mind immediately started trying to think of a baseball card analogy.

1989 Topps/LJN Baseball Talk #159

And the first product that popped into my head was the 1989 Topps/LJN Topps Talking Baseball set.  I won't dive into too much detail about this set, since I've written about these cards before.  However if you're curious feel free to click here and read my full review.

1989 Topps/LJN Baseball Talk #162
1989 Topps/LJN Baseball Talk #43
1989 Topps/LJN Baseball Talk #77

The bottom line is in 1989 Topps collaborated with LJN to produce these talking baseball cards that are much larger (3.25" x 5.25") than the standard 1989 Topps baseball cards.


On the back, you'll notice a clear vinyl record attached near the top.


Collectors could buy a handheld player, put the card inside, and listen to player interviews and interesting stories.  If you search it up on YouTube, you can find a complete playlist that includes all 164 cards provided by DaClyde.

1989 Topps/LJN Baseball Talk #122
1989 Topps/LJN Baseball Talk #114
1989 Topps/LJN Baseball Talk #66

The "tall boys" shape allowed Topps' cropping department more card space to work with which resulted in beautiful trading cards.

1989 Topps/LJN Baseball Talk #59
1989 Topps/LJN Baseball Talk #84
1989 Topps/LJN Baseball Talk #71

The huge 164 card checklist allowed them to provide collectors with fan favorites to future hall of famers.

1989 Topps/LJN Baseball Talk #41

Topps also made sure to include legends like Babe Ruth, Roberto Clemente, and Hank Aaron.  They ended up using pictures of previously released Topps trading cards for the legends in the set.

1989 Topps/LJN Baseball Talk #73
1989 Topps/LJN Baseball Talk #147
1989 Topps/LJN Baseball Talk #118

Not exactly sure why
Topps decided to cut the cord on this product line after one year.  They did produce at least a handful of football cards that are a little harder to come by.  Personally... I'm surprised that these trading cards aren't more popular among collectors, but the oversized thing might be too big of an issue to overcome.


Anyways... I'm glad that thirty-one years after its initial release... I'm still a fan of this set.  I highly doubt thirty-one years from now Away will even be on my radar.

What about you?

What are some of your favorite card products that were released for only one year?

What are some of your favorite television shows that were cancelled after one season?

Happy Tuesday and sayonara! 


Overtime

2014 UD Exquisite Black Signatures #UDB-JG

Congratulations to the 2020 San Jose State Spartans football team who are down in Tuscan and will play Ball State on New Year's Eve in the Arizona Bowl.  This is only the eleventh time they'll be playing in a bowl game and it's the highest they've been ranked in my lifetime.  Go Spartans!

25 comments:

Dennis said...

I vaguely remember those cards from when I was a kid but I never got any and don't think I was even interested at the time, but I still look out for my PC guys now and then.

There's definitely a bunch of fun one-year products that I can't specifically think of right now.

My favorite one-season TV shows include Firefly and Wonderfalls. I hate when that happens to fun shows. What you described reminds me a bit of a show I really liked called "Mars" that made it two seasons with a reasonable finale.

acrackedbat said...

I don't watch much tv so can think of nothing off-hand. As for baseball, I'd have to say 2013 Hometown Heroes. I could enjoy another edition of this one on its own, NOT tied to Chronicles.

Brett Alan said...

A truly great show that only lasted one season is Terriers. FX did a terrible job of promoting it, and it never found an audience despite immense critical acclaim. It stars Donal Logue as a low-rent private eye trying to make ends meet. Well worth seeing the one season.

Another favorite was Shannon's Deal--technically it had two seasons, but only 14 total episodes which by network TV standards isn't really even one full season. It starred Jamey Sheridan as a formerly high-powered attorney starting over after ruining his life with a gambling addiction. I haven't seen it since it aired, so I'm not sure how it holds up, but I loved it at the time.

Jeremya1um said...

As far as sets, I liked TOPPS Lazer. A great concept and it made for some nice looking cards.

I don’t really watch enough tv to think of any series that have lasted only 1 season, but I’m pretty sure Fresh off the Boat is over with, and I love the ‘90’s and Florida references being a ‘90’s kid who grew up in Florida.

Peter K Steinberg said...

I'm not sure I can think of any products that got canceled after one year though I've certainly noticed it. And I can't think of any TV shows that got canceled after one year. I'm not sure why I'm commenting, either.

night owl said...

Agree with Julie, my first thought was Panini Hometown Heroes.

I'm sure there was some TV show that was canceled before I was ready to see it go sometime in the distant past. Haven't been much of a TV watcher the last few years, particularly episode shows.

sg488 said...

1.1986 Macdonald's Football,getting all 28 teams was a challenge. 2.Freaks and Geeks only 18 episodes .

night owl said...

OK, there we go, Freaks and Geeks definitely. I knew there was one!

Elliptical Man said...

TV Show: Cover-Up.

I can't think of a card set. My collecting is too main stream I guess.

Jeff B - Wax Pack Wonders said...

I'll be checking out the interviews on these cards. Cool stuff!

The Lost Collector said...

Hmmm. I'm sure there is a random Pacific set that only had a one year run, but nothing pops into mind.

Same with TV. I'm sure I had one or two shows I like get canceled after one year, but nothing pops into mind.

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

1975 Topps... ok joking. I can't think of a one year set, I don't collect like that. I did buy this player for just one card though.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

I blank on both questions

SumoMenkoMan said...

Recently, I have seen some cool lenticular cards that seem to be limited. Wish they would make more of them.

I was hoping Away could have been my new show. Not meant to be it seems.

gcrl said...

There are some sets that I've completed that make sense as one and done, but I was really hoping topps would issue a followup to the 1982 kmart set back in 2007 to cover the next 25 years of mvps.
As for t.v. shows, I was also disappointed by the cancellation of Away. I would add My So Called Life to the list of shows cancelled too soon.

Rebel Coyote said...

I was a fan of cartoon Road Rovers. Lasted 13 episodes and that was it. As for on year sets I would say UD reboot of OPC baseball. Lasted a year because they longer have MLB rights

Rebel Coyote said...

Another favorite one is Fleer's only foray into hockey with 1994-95 set. The design fits well with hockey splashing team colors on it.

Billy Kingsley said...

I have long lamented that the Topps 10 NBA set was a one year only set. It was made up of nothing but 10 card subsets of the top 10 in various statistical categories from the previous season, and the top 10 highest draft picks at each position.

NPB Card Guy said...

It would have been great if the collaboration between the Kabaya and Leaf gum companies that resulted in the classic Kabaya-Leaf set had lasted longer than just 1967. They're the only cards in Japan that resemble 1950's-60's American cards.

For a "one and done" TV show - it's got to be Firefly. For canceled after only two seasons it'd be SportsNight.

cardboardhogs said...

my most missed card set is the Topps Magic Football. i think they did three years of it recently, maybe two...but i loved the retro look and feel of the cards, plus the card stock was great. i guess they are similar to Heritage, which i also love. maybe they'll cycle back through that set if Topps gets their NFL license back.

for TV shows, i don't have one that only lasted one season...but i LOVED LOVED LOVED Halt and Catch Fire! They did 4 seasons and after the second season, i think they were a bit worried about cancellation. Seasons 3 and 4 weren't quite as fantastic as 1 and 2, but i do miss that show and wish they were allowed to have a longer story arc rather than expedite the story for two years.

Fuji said...

dennis - wonderfalls was awesome. i bought the dvd box set a few years ago. never heard of mars, but i'm creating a list from today's comments.

acrackedbat - nice call on hometown heroes. it's one of only a handful of panini baseball card sets that i built

brett alan - terriers and shannon's deal have been added to my list of shows to check out. thanks for the suggestions

jeremya1um - topps lazer was a pretty creative product. i was really into fresh off the boat for a few years. even though i was in college during the 90's, the oldest boy reminds me of myself

peter k steinberg - lol. i appreciate you taking the time to comment regardless

night owl - yeah hometown heroes was a solid product.

sg488 - did you try and build a master set of the 1986 mcdonalds football? if so, that's pretty awesome. with all of the different colored tabs that set must have been a beast. and freaks & geeks is awesome! i have the series on dvd and used to watch it in the background while cleaning and sorting cards. i should dig it out

elliptical man - added cover-up to my list of shows to look into. thanks.

jeff b - i haven't listened to all of them, but they are informative and entertaining. special thanks to daclyde for taking the time to upload all of them

the lost collector - i'll have to think about 90's pacific. maybe the flash cards?

steve at 1975baseballcards.com - i ran out and bought the player too. which player did you grab? i'm guessing it somehow involves the 1975 topps set.

johnnys trading spot - yeah me too. lots of great responses so far from others though

sumomenkoman - away would have been right up your alley for sure. and those lenticular cards are awesome.

gcrl - that idea of a 2007 mvp set is a great idea. i remember watching my so called life back in the day. i should go back and rewatch that sometime. i'll add it to the list.

rebel coyote - never heard of road rovers, but i'll check it out. and 2009 opc was a great looking set. as for 94/95 fleer hockey... it was a little too much for me

billy kingsley - i bought a collection at the flea market about ten years ago and it contained a bunch of those cards. it was the first time i had seen them, since i was out of the hobby in 2002-03

npb card guy - i'll add firefly and sportsnight to my list of shows to look into. i feel like firefly has a huge following. i've had several people recommend that show to me

cardboardhogs - i liked topps magic too. solid and simple design and i like the vintage card stock they used. as for halt and catch fire, i'll add it to my list of shows to look into

Steve at 1975BaseballCards.com said...

It was actually the first card in the set - it's the 1975 world series cover! Funny thing is someone has graded these and just sold a different World Series cover card on eBay for 80 bucks - I guess par for the course these days.

Out of curiosity, I checked comc and they have some listed for less than what I paid so I bought another one. Likely my last purchase of this year. It's a great card (and I will not be grading it :-)

Adam Kaningher said...

The First was another space-themed show that only lasted one season on Hulu. Sean Penn starred and I thought it was pretty good.

The Snorting Bull said...

1. There are so many cancelled brands that I miss. I miss 2001 Upper Deck 1970s and the 1971 Topps Great Moments off the top of my head.

2. I do not watch enough television to answer the second question. I was disappointed that they cancelled the 2020 St. Louis Battlehawks.

Fuji said...

adam - thanks adam. i'll add it to the list of shows. i'll most likely start targeting them during my february break.

the snorting bull - 2001 upper deck 1970's is a great example. it would have been really cool to see what they would have come up with for the 80's. and i love the 1971 great moments cards too. shame they're so rare and expensive. had to look up the battlehawks. totally forgot about the 2020 xfl season