30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, June 30, 2019

The Brookstone of Care Packages

Years ago... when I was still teaching at the elementary school level... I bought some raffle tickets for a PTA auction and ended up winning a Brookstone roadside emergency kit.  It was one of those things that I was really excited to win, but wouldn't actually go out and purchase on my own.

Rod over at Padrographs sent me a prize package that contained some really cool items that I'm happy to add to my collection, but like that roadside emergency kit wouldn't consider buying them for myself.

Confused?  It's probably easier if I just show you what I mean...

2016 Topps Now #87
2016 Topps Now #297
2016 Topps Now #512

2016 Topps Now #124
2016 Topps Now #454

2017 Topps Now #19
2017 Topps Now #34

Topps Now has been popular with collectors for a few years now, but I've never actually ordered any for myself.  That being said... I was excited to see these seven Topps Now cards.  I only own a handful of these.  And out of all of them, I've only gone out of my way to purchase one.  It was for a game I attended back in 2016.

Next up are a pair of Topps Total cards:

2019 Topps Total #59
2019 Topps Total #71

First off... these are great looking cards.  I like the white borders and the simplicity of the design.  It's just a shame that Topps decided to make these an online exclusive item with a high price point ($10 per pack).  There's a good chance that these will be the only two 2019 Topps Total cards I ever acquire... unless they start popping up in dime boxes in a few years.

The final group of cards that I'm absolutely stoked to see, but probably wouldn't purchase are these Fernando Tatis Jr. cards:

2019 Topps #410

2018 Bowman #Bowman Trending #FT
2018 Bowman's Best Top Prospects #TP-24

2017 Bowman Chrome Prospects #BCP160
2018 Bowman Prospects #BP114

Tatis is tearing it up this season and I'm going to assume that his card values are skyrocketing.  I love collecting rookie cards, but I've already missed the boat with this guy.  I might try to grab a graded rookie card at some point if he ever decides to cool off.

Moving along... here are some items that I'd have no problem paying for:

1986 Topps Rack Pack

If I stumbled across this pack at a card show for a buck or two, I'd buy it.  The question is whether or not to keep it sealed since I already own a complete 1986 Topps set.

Rod also sent me this set of flash cards:


69¢ for a set of oversized Presidential trading cards?  Yes, please.


The Ronald Reagan alone is worth that price.

Rod has spoiled me over the years by sending me his Sports Illustrated for Kids cards.  This time he sent me three more issues, which means three more sheets of cards:


I love collecting these sheets.  Every one contains so much variety.  That's why I'm always excited to stumble across these at flea markets and card shows.

Well that's it for today.  Thank you Rod for yet another awesome care package.  You sure know how to pick stuff.  This was the "Brookstone" or "Sharper Image" of care packages.

Wait.  I almost forgot.  It's also suppose to be a prize package as well.  Rod held a contest on his blog last month.  Here's the card I picked from his contest list:

2018 Panini EEE Quad Materials #QM-BH

I've never heard of Mr. Hernandez, but he's a centerfielder in the Miami Marlins farm system.  He's not considered one of their top prospects, but you never know.  Maybe he'll be the next Christian Yelich.

Happy Sunday and sayonara!

6 comments:

Chris said...

That rack pack brings back memories. And it would have been grabbed right off the shelf with Boggs and Strawberry showing, especially in my area.

gregory said...

With Boggs and Strawberry on the front, I'd say keep that 1986 rack pack sealed! And I remember there was a Brookstone store in a shopping mall near my house back when I was in high school. My friend and I would often go in there and wonder who actually bought all that stuff. Then we'd leave. Heh.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Yow, those Now cards. Love the Presidents cards too. BTW, did you get another package a few days ago?

SumoMenkoMan said...

Wow, that is a cool care package. Love the Presidents Cards for sure and I am a sucker for '86 Topps baseball!

Fuji said...

chris - yeah, this rack would have been a hot commodity back in the 80's. i think i'm gonna keep it sealed

gregory - my friends and i would do the same thing... especially during the summer just to get out of the heat.

johnnys trading spot - yeah those topps now cards were a very nice surprise. i think rod quadrupled my topps now collection with one care package. package received. should be cracking it open today after i get home from the flea market

sumomenkoman - glad to know i'm not alone with 86t. it has some amazing photography. plus it was the first set i started to open a lot of packs of.

Christy T said...

This's wonderful memory. Keep it!