30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, June 27, 2019

Beer, Chips, and One Stunning Lady

Last weekend was the Serramonte Mall Sports Cards, Toys, and Collectibles Show.  When it comes to card shows, it's really the only one I look forward to and clear my schedule for.  It's mostly toy vendors, but there are at least ten to twenty vendors set up with cards, so I'm always excited to look around for good deals and pray I stumble across a reasonably priced 1973 Topps baseball card set.

The show also gives me an opportunity to hang out and talk shop with fellow collectors.  Many of you are familiar with one of these gentlemen:  Mr. Haverkamp.

I've had the pleasure of meeting and knowing Jim for several years now, so it's always nice to catch up.  This time around we talked about how rough of a year it has been for a few card bloggers who have lost loved ones, including myself.

He cheered me up by pulling this out of his bag:


AleSmith is a San Diego based brewery that specializes in handcrafted ales.  According to their website, Tony Gwynn reached out to them about producing a distinctive beer for the baseball legend that was "light with a kick".  The final product resulted in a golden pale ale full of American hop flavor and aroma, with a subdued bitterness and a malty sweet finish.  I'm not really a beer guy, so this bottle will end up becoming a display piece in my office.  However the next time I'm in San Diego, I am looking forward to having one in honor of my all-time favorite baseball player.

Jim also threw in the beer carrier:


AleSmith did a great job with the designGwynn and the Padres were wearing completely different colors the year he hit .394, but that's okay.  I absolutely love the use of the brown, gold, and orange color scheme.  The early 80's Padres home jerseys have been my favorite since I started rooting for them.

The next thing he pulled out of his bag was this 1977 issue of Sports Illustrated:

Sports Illustrated: August 15, 1977 

When it comes to Japanese baseball players, Sadaharu Oh reigns supreme.  He hit 868 home runs during his twenty-two seasons with the Yomiuri Giants in the NPB.  That's 106 more than Barry113 more than Hank.  And 154 more than Babe.

This issue came out a few weeks before Oh broke Hank Aaron's home run record.  It's an awesome piece of baseball history and an excellent addition to my Japanese Athlete PC.  As an added bonus, Jim mentioned that he is the original owner.  I've edited it out, but you can still see his name and address from the 70's on the label.

The third item he pulled was a biggie... 

1981 Granny Goose A's #13

I've written about this card on a few occasions.  Most recently on May 18th of this year.  To make a long story short... it's a short printed card in this regional oddball issue set and they don't pop up too often.  I picked up my first copy a few years ago, but this one is definitely an upgrade.

The last item that Jim pulled out of his bag is this Ginter mini of my boy Kurt Suzuki:

2012 Allen and Ginter Mini #69

Jim seems to be a good source of information when it comes to Ginter minis.  He mentioned that this particular back was tougher to pull and that I probably didn't have it.  He was right.

Thank you Jim for this awesome care package!  I'll definitely dig through my collection and scour the internet for a few nice Mike Schmidts for your collection.
 
I also got a chance to hang out with my buddy Mike, who brought the autographed Asuka Funko Pop I bought a few months ago:

 
This is actually the second signed Asuka Pop he's given me.  The first one he gave me has a smeared signature, so he ended up giving me two for the price of one.  Before he went to ToyCon Las Vegas (where Asuka was signing), I also asked him to get me a signed 8x10 as well:


He hooked me up with a pair of free Funkos too:


I'm slowly putting together a respectable Stomper PC.  I've already picked up a two or three bobbleheads and ten different cardsThanks to Mike... I've added my first Funko Pop too.

Next up is this signed Jason Voorhees Funko Pop


If something looks off with the signature, it's because Ari Lehman (the actor who played the first Jason) accidentally signed the Funko Pop upside down.  

Here's a better look at his signature:


Well that's it for now.  I'll try my best to get the rest of the card show pickups scanned over the weekend.  Until then...

What's your favorite beer, potato chip, and/or horror movie?

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

16 comments:

Chris said...

Very cool stuff. I'm not a beer drinker, but that packaging is perfect. As for potato chips, I still like Lay's but I'm becoming more of an Utz fan (aven't found any bags with baseball cards in 'em though)

night owl said...

Beer: If it's not bland, I like it.

Chips: Don't care enough to have a favorite.

Horror movie: I hate horror movies. Don't watch 'em.

Probably not questions for me, huh?

Rod (Padrographs) said...

still looking for a bottle of .394 Ale

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

1) I prefer Makers Mark (liquor), but if I had to choose a beer, I'd say Killian's Red.
2) I'm pretty sure Lay's doesn't produce them anymore, but I could tear up some Original BBQ corn chips.
3) Horror movies scare me, pun intended.

Adam Kaningher said...

Ruffles and Whole Foods have a style of potato chip called "All Dressed". It is a Canadian flavor and has a little bit of everything. It is surprisingly good. I used to like a brand of kettle chips called Krunchers, but I haven't seen them in these parts in many years.

Billy Kingsley said...

I don't drink beer, I don't eat potato chips, and I don't watch horror movies...I'm kind of a boring person I guess.

Nachos Grande said...

Beer: I like to try lots of craft brews but Magic Hat or Sam Adams are both usually safe bets for me.

Chips: Middleswarth BBQ all the way

Horror Movie: By default Saw since that's one of about three horror movies that I've seen in my lifetime.

Corky said...

You can probably remove the plastic on the Jason Pop and flip it over and re-attach it so the auto is facing the correct way. They usually just have a bit of adhesive along each edge and then re-attach it with some simple Elmer’s glue.

The Shlabotnik Report said...

Although I very much appreciate the packaging of the bottle carrier, I don't really drink beer, don't watch horror movies and Funko Pops leave me cold...

...but man, that Sports Illustrated is *sweeeeeeeeeeet*! Nobody else said it, but I will.

It's been years since I had them, and I don't know if they still make them, but there was a small company in central Pennsylvania called Kay And Ray's who made awesome potato chips. In general, I find that the best pretzels and potato chips come out of Pennsylvania, and Utz falls into that category, so I'll call that my fallback.

sg488 said...

Samuel Adams,Lays,and Carrie.

SumoMenkoMan said...

A nice Asahi, Sapporo, or Kirin for sure!!

Matt said...

Nice auto!

I don't drink and never have
However, horror movies I watched a ton growing up. More on that for a Origins post in October. But, I really like 80's stuff so I will go with Friday The 13th and Halloween, both series. As for potato chip, anything BBQ and spicy or any Doritos

Fuji said...

chris - regular lays is one of my personal faves

night owl - you tried, that's all that matters

rod - i tried buying you a six pack, but they don't ship to oregon.

johnnys trading spot - i drank makers mark when i was in my 30's. if there are people drinking it at a party, i'll join in.

adam kaningher - i totally want to try it. the next time i go up to vancouver, i'll have to look for it.

billy kingsley - nah... you're not boring at all. in fact, i live vicariously through you and your brother's field trips

nachos grande - my brother is a huge saw fan. one of these days, i'm gonna sit down and watch all of the different movies

corky - thanks for the advice. i'll look into doing that.

the shlabotnik report - i can't wait to one day finally find utz chips in local stores. and yes... that si is sweet!

sg488 - i don't drink beer, but sam adams isn't too bad. love me some lays. and carrie is a classic.

sumomenkoman - you and my dad would get along. i've never liked japanese beers.

sport card collectors - you're smart. i don't drink much either. i prefer to eat junk food instead.

arpsmith said...

I like dark beers, depends on the day but today I would go with Deshutes Black Butte Porter.
Not a huge chips fan any more, trying to eat better. Used to love Cool Ranch Doritos.
Not the biggest horror fan, my faves are probably Jaws and IT (I am a big Stephen King book fan and this movie was one of the bests from his books).

Really good stuff, glad you got to connect with Jim - he is a great guy.

The Lost Collector said...

Hmm, I'll go with Newcastle Brown Ale, straight up nacho cheese Doritos, and probably Jaws or Scream.

Fuji said...

arpsmith - i've never read any of stephen king's books (not a big reader in general), but i love castle rock (on hulu). it was really cool to sit down and chat with him.

the lost collector - it's been a long time since i've watched jaws. i remember seeing it as a kid at my cousin's house. it was really scary back in the day.