30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

The Chairman of the Board

One of these days I'm going to rank my least favorite sports franchises and when I do, the New York Yankees will definitely sitting at the top.  It's a combination of things:

A.  Their historic dominance as a franchise.

B.  Their history of using my beloved Athletics as their personal minor league team.

C.  I have a few friends who are Yankees fans who constantly remind me of A and B.

With that being said, there are still a handful of players who played their careers in pinstripes that I don't mind adding to my collection and Whitey Ford is one of those guys.  Back in October, I crossed off a huge card off of my want list when I purchased this card off eBay:


By now most of you know that the 1956 Topps baseball card set is one of my all-time favorites and my goal is to one day own graded copies of all of the hall of famers in the set.  The Chairman of the Board is the 9th addition to that collection.


This card is extra special, because it also fits nicely into my Lefty PC as well.

Some of you might be wondering how I managed to fit such a beautiful card into my newly revamped hobby budget.  Well that extravagant summer shopping spree helped me earn $32.07 in eBay Bucks, which I applied in full to this purchase.  So my final purchase price was just around the price of a blaster ($20.93).

I don't anticipate adding anymore 1956 Topps hall of famers to my collection in 2017, but I have a few players targeted on eBay.  Hopefully I'll be able to cross off at least one or two more in 2018.

By the way, today is the other Chairman of the Board's birthday.  Frank Sinatra was born on December 12th, 1915.


I grew up listening to Sinatra, because he is one of my mom's favorite performers.  Sadly he passed away back in 1998.  But thanks to things like books, videos, and trading cards... both Sinatra and Ford's legacies will live for generations and generations to come.

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

4 comments:

Chris said...

Nice Ford! Can't beat that price, especially after the eBay bucks. I think I have a whole list of reasons to hate the Yankees, but it doesn't stop me from spending big bucks on cards of all-time greats.

The Lost Collector said...

Great card! Definitely worth the price of a Blaster.

Hackenbush said...

Congrats on a great addition! I saw Whitey a couple of times not long ago on a couple of old episodes of the Dick Cavett show. Always fun to see Whitey and Mickey sharing stories.

Fuji said...

Chris - Thanks! Yeah... hard not to admire greatness.

The Lost Collector - Thanks. I try to compare most of my purchases to the price of a blaster.

Hackenbush - I've never seen the Dick Caveat show. I'll have to look it up on YT.