30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, August 26, 2016

One Lucky Denny's Customer

If you're a fan of oddball issues, then you're probably a fan or at least familiar with Denny's holograms from the 90's.  From 1991 to 1997 hungry collectors were consuming Grand Slam breakfasts and getting their hands on packs of the popular cards.


In 1994, Upper Deck and Denny's teamed up to produce a 28 card set to honor a slugger from each MLB team.  There was also a special limited edition card produced of Reggie Jackson.  Each Denny's location was given a single copy of this card to used in a giveaway at the end of the promotion.

I wasn't able to pinpoint how many Denny's were around in 1994, but according to Wikipedia there are almost 1,600 diners currently in the States.  That means there were probably anywhere from 1,500 to 2,000 of them back in the mid 90's.


These days when a card company makes 2,000 copies of one card, collectors treat it as if there were 2,000,000.  However... back in the day... 2,000 was pretty limited.  Maybe not exactly super rare... but definitely limited.


I've been looking for a copy of this card off and on for a few years... and after lots of patience... I found a eBay vendor willing to accept my $9 offer.  I realize that might sound like a lot of money for some Junk Wax Era insert... but when you factor in how long I've waited to add this card to my Oakland A's collection and the prices other vendors typically ask... I think I got a pretty good deal.

Happy Flashback Friday... and sayonara!

8 comments:

arpsmith said...

That's a cool card and one I hadn't seen before. Need to seek one out for my Reggie collection. Congrats on the addition!

Ugly Duckling said...

That's awesome you finally found it! Definitely remember trying to convince my mom to take me to Denny's when I was a kid to get those cards!

Man said...

I remember grabbing a few of these cards back in the day I wish Reggie was one of them. Great pick up.

SumoMenkoMan said...

Very cool! Congrats. We didn't have a Denny's where I grew up so I never collected these, but that is a cool piece of history. Thanks for sharing!

Tim B. said...

Congrats on the great addition! I didn't know the story behind that card, kinda makes me want to try to track one down too. Enjoy!

Corky said...

That is an awesome card, congratulations on the pick up.

Fuji said...

arpsmith - good luck. they do pop up on eBay... but a lot of people are unreasonable. my copy was cheap b/c it's far from mint condition.

ugly duckling - thanks. it's cool to hear people's denny's timeline. back then, i was in college meeting friends for late night study sessions.

brady - the only thing i hate about these cards is remembering how much money i spent on food... just to get a pack with one hologram. you pretty much can pick up full sets of this stuff for the price of one or two grand slam meals these days.

r laughton - whoa. figured there were denny's in just about every corner of our country. i understand though. i've always wanted white castle to open up a location in california.

corky -thanks! nice to finally cross it off my list

Unknown said...

Im not sure if you know it or not but the top performing District Managers received a card, Bat and signed ball as well. There were only around 50 that received them.I know this because I was a General Manager at the time. My store came in first place so they gave me a card.The bat and ball was only for the DM's