30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Flea Market Finds #110: Box Bottoms, Bobbles, and a Box of Comics

One of these days, I'll finally start a new series of posts called Flea Market Flipping.  That's where I find stuff at the flea market with the sole intention of turning around and flipping it on eBay or at another flea market to help fund the purchase of a new card for one of my PC's.

My most recent trip to the flea market resulted in the purchase of a pair of items that would qualify, but let's kick things off two things I'll be holding onto.

Purchase #1:  2015 Stephen Vogt SGA Bobble Head $6


When it comes to weird and cool bobbleheads... this guy has to at least be taken into consideration.  I'd try to explain why Everything Bagel is wearing a referee uniform, but it's easier to let him do the work...


The only thing bad about this purchase was the fact that I probably could have picked it up for less.  The guy who sold this to me accepted every offer he received from other customers while I was there.  I was just so excited to hear him say "six dollars" that I immediately, without thinking said "I'll take it".


Purchase #2:  Card Box Bottoms $1

After I grabbed the Vogt, I stuck around and checked out all of the other sports memorabilia he had for sale.  He had a pretty solid set up that included everything from World Series programs to old school sports LP's.

He also had a small selection of cards including a bin filled with 80's sports card box bottoms for 25¢ each.  I honestly should have grabbed them all for this price, but ended up picking out these for:

1985 Donruss


I already own a copy of this... but I wanted another one to cut up, because it features one of my favorite cards of Dwight Gooden.  

1987 Fleer Limited Edition

I've seen my fair share of box bottoms, but not this one.  Remember those 44 card sets Fleer produced in the 80's?  This box bottom is from one of those displays.  As soon as I saw that Ron Darling, I threw it in my pile.  As you can see... I accidentally cut it up before scanning the intact box bottom.  Oh well.

1985 Topps

While Donruss and Fleer mirrored the same card and color design for their box bottoms, Topps usually kept the same design, but switched the color of their borders.  1985 Topps football cards are known for their black borders, so this bright red box bottom definitely called out to me.

1988 Topps

Tres Padres on one box bottom?  Yes, please.  These three cards of Marvell Wynne, Tony Gwynn, and John Kruk commemorate their back to back to back home runs in the first inning of their home opener at Jack Murphy Stadium back on April 13th, 1987.

In case you missed it twenty-nine years ago...


Sadly the San Diego Padres were the worst team in the National League that season, but at least Benito Santiago won the NL Rookie of the Year Award and Gwynn won his 2nd batting title.


Purchase #3:  Chico State Bobblehead $5


I've been looking for a SJSU Spartan bobblehead for years... and they always sell for way more than I'm willing to spend.  I grabbed this bobblehead in hopes that it carries the same premium as its CSU counterpart.

I figured I'd throw it up on eBay with a best offer option and see if it's worth flipping.  Worst case scenario... I'll add it to my ever growing bobblehead collection.


Purchase #4:  Big Box of Comics $5



I don't really collect comic books, but some deals are too good to pass up.  It broke down to less than a dime each.  At that price... if nobody ends up buying them, I'll bring it into my classroom for my students.

Well that's it for now.  Have a great week.  Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

5 comments:

Nick said...

I absolutely love box bottoms. I probably would've grabbed 'em all at that price.

RAZ said...

I probably would have bought that box of comics just for the Ren & Stimpy comic and an old Wizard magazine to flip through and relive a big part of my childhood.

KO Rob said...

That Vogt bobblehead was a steal! Nice haul!

Unknown said...

Love the Vogt Bobblehead.

Fuji said...

nick - i regret not picking up all of them too. hopefully he's there again in two weeks

raz - the ren & stumpy comic was the thing that caught my eye

ko rob & john hazen - one of my favorite purchases in recent weeks