30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, November 28, 2015

The Buck Stops Here!

I hate child molesters.  I hate animal abusers.  And I hate people who go out of their way to make others miserable.  However... I don't hate Joe Buck.

Don't get the wrong idea.  I'm not a fan of his broadcasting skills, but "hate" is just too powerful of a word to describe the way I feel about the guy.  But there are a number of sports fanatics who have no problem hating Joe Buck.

Which is why, I scratched my head when I saw that Topps added him to their 2015 Allen and Ginter checklist.  I understand the inclusion of Olbermann, Schefter, and Gammons.  But Buck?  Maybe it's because he has a pretty good sense of humor...



Or maybe it's because Topps knows that there are weird guys like myself who will buy their silly relic cards of unpopular broadcasters.

Last week, I was shopping at my favorite online card shop who offers free shipping if you spend $25 or more.  As usual... I was a little short, so I added this card to my cart, because it was on sale for $1.50:

2015 Allen and Ginter Relics #JBU

Too bad it wasn't a buck.  Then I could have said... I found a Buck for a buck.  Get it?  Oh never mind... I told you I'm weird.

Anyways... speaking of bucks... buckstorecards, author of Sportscards From The Dollar Store sent me a very cool card for my San Jose Sharks PC:

2013-14 Panini Prime Rookie Showcase Swatches
#RS-THE (#'d 10/25)

This card is beautiful.  Seriously.  If you're familiar with Upper Deck's shadow box cards, then you'll appreciate just how gorgeous it is.  It's hard to see, but the white in the background is actually a piece of Hertl's jersey.

He also shipped me some other Sharks' base cards and this 2014 Topps Chrome Mini Green Bay Packers team set:


Can't say for sure... but I'm guessing these cards are worth much more than a Buck.  But honestly... even if buckstorecards sent me a Joe Buck base card, it would have been appreciated.

Thanks Douglas!  Give me a few weeks... and I'll put together a little care package for you.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

4 comments:

Hackenbush said...

I don't have an opinion on Buck but that is one of the more interesting swatches I've seen. The Bears beat Rogers by hitting his funny bone ---- https://youtu.be/rX7wtNOkuHo

JediJeff said...

Nah - I hate Joe Buck. I'm proud to say that I hate him - he's annoying.

The Snorting Bull said...

As a native St. Louisan I don't mind him because he always squeezes in facts about the city. As a native St. Louisan who no longer lives there, I understand why people get annoyed with him. I agree though that hate is probably too strong of a word.

Matt said...

I like the Joe Buck. Great add!