30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Friday, November 20, 2015

Rub You the Right Way

Six years before Johnny released this...


Topps released this...


It's a shame that my local convenience store didn't carry these, because I would have been all over them.  Actually... I take that back.  I was in the seventh grade and the idea of rubbing these all over my Pee-Chee folders probably would have led to some serious bullying incidents.

But now that I'm well into my 40's, I'm secure enough in my manhood to show off and share some of my rub-downs.  Let's start off by taking a closer look at the pack...


Each cellophane pack contained a stick of bubble gum...


a checklist...


a set of directions...


and two sheets of rub-downs...


There are a total of thirty-two sheets in the set... with each sheet containing three or four players.

After busting the entire box of thirty-six packs, I ended up with one complete set... which happens to contain a total of 112 players.  Out of those, I counted a twenty-two guys that have been enshrined in Cooperstown.

But only one sheet contained three hall of famers...


In addition to popular baseball players, Topps also included a bunch of floating pieces of equipment.  While most sheets contain four or five, this particular one led the pack with a total of six pieces of equipment...


And although I was a little disappointed that Topps left Tony Gwynn off of the checklist, it was cool to see them include a Strawberry rookie oddball issue...


Unfortunately... collation kind of sucked in this box.  I ended up coming up six sheets short of a second set.  However, my loss is your gain.

If you're interested in owning this 1984 Topps Rub-Down starter set, I'll be throwing it into my contest's prize package.


If you haven't already entered... click here.  Well that's it for now.

Happy Friday and sayonara!

No comments: