30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, October 12, 2015

Kellogg's is More Than Cereal

When it comes to reading sports card blogs, I love it when bloggers create an interesting series for us to read.

Nick has his Dime Box Frankenset posts.  The Snorting Bull takes the time to list of his favorite sets in his Friday Five series.  The Junior Junkie has some of the coolest wallet card photographs around... and he features them on his Wallet Card Wednesday posts.  And of course there's the long running Awesome Night Card series published on the four-time Blog of the Year... Night Owl Cards.

Unfortunately... one of my personal favorites... Nacho Grande's Better Know a Blogger came to an end this weekend.  The series featured a collection of interviews with fellow bloggers and gave us an opportunity to get an in-depth look at what people collect, their thoughts on the hobby, as well as other non-hobby related topics.

Last week, Bubba's Bangin' Batch of Baseball Bits was featured in the series and mentioned that he loved Kellogg's Cracklin' Oat Bran:


The next day... I saw it while walking down the cereal aisle... and decided to give them a chance.  You know what?  It's delicious.  They remind me of miniature Nature Valley Granola Bars... which is one of my favorite snacks.

And if Matt and my word aren't enough... well... they're produced by Kellogg's... the company who inserted the iconic lenticular 3D cards into cereal boxes during the 70's and early 80's.  So go out and grab yourself a box... pour yourself a bowl... and enjoy the sweet, crunchy yumminess.

In the meantime, I figured I'd show off one of my personal favorites in terms of Kellogg's cards...


Although I grew up on the 80's sets, my favorite design is the 1970 set.  If baseball cards could produce babies, the 1970 set would have the 1964 Topps Giants as their father and the 1968 Topps 3-D as their mother.

I love seeing Reggie repping his 1968 home jersey, while staring into the souls of every collector who owns a copy of this card.  Normally I'd rather have an ungraded copy to hold in my hand, but the price was too good to pass up.

Another Kellogg's set I like is their 2006 All-Star Autographs...


Okay... so they're logoless.  But for the price, it's worth it.  This is one of the few times you'll be able to add a Hank Aaron certified on-card autograph to your collection for under $50.  Aikman and Robinson?  They typically sell for under $20 each.

The most affordable card in the set is the Yamaguchi...


She's cute.  She's an Olympic gold medalist.  And since she's a figure skater, logos don't matter.

Okay... it's your turn.

What are some of your favorite blogger series, cereals, and Kellogg's card designs?

Happy Monday and sayonara!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would rank the top 3 Kellogg's set as 1) 1976 2) 1974 3) 1970

I like Froot Loops a little TOO much (That was good, I'll have more... ah, WTF I'll have some more... just one more bowl... Just a little more...), which is why I try not to buy it too often. My favorite cereal that I buy on a regular basis is Corn Bran Crunch (formerly Crunchy Corn Bran).

I'm not a huge fan of figure skating, but I appreciate it when I watch it, and I would much rather have an autograph of Kristi than Troy Aikman or David Robinson.

the sewingmachineguy said...

Captain Crunch. Even at the expense of the roof of my mouth.

Mark Hoyle said...

Gotta go with Wheaties. Kellogg's set 1) the 70's set 2) 72 3) 71.

Zippy Zappy said...

My favorite blogger series? Probably P-Town Tom's Pack Wars. Just for the sake of throwing Tom a bone.

My favorite Kelloggs cereals... well there used to be this one really awesome cereal called Powerpuff Girls Cereal. And yes it was based on the cartoon that ran in the late 90's/early 00's. It was sort of like sugared Rice Krispies and I miss it dearly. It's not Kelloggs but I absolutely love GM's Reese's Puff Cereal, Trix Cereal and Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal.

As for Kelloggs card designs... I'll go with 1979. I would opt for one of the Japanese Kelloggs card designs but they're all just designs used on other products.

Anonymous said...

Frosted Mini Wheats...

BobWalkthePlank said...

I've enjoyed Tony's Meet the Brewers series. It probably takes a ton of time for him to sort those out.

As far as cereal I'm a free agent. Lately I've been on a Frosted Flakes kick.

GCA said...

Best cereal right now is the Special K Oats & Honey flakes. Largest flakes I've ever seen, and tasty too. I get the occasional box of Cap'n Crunch for the weekends, but I liked another one even more that was retired, came back, and has retired again ~ Quisp!

I like when bloggers make custom cards and the fonts match and the pictures aren't distorted. Tried a few myself, but not for a while. Also like the favorite set rundowns.

As for Kelloggs, the 1970 set is also my favorite, and that Reggie is the last one I need!

Commishbob said...

Blog Series? There are a bunch out there I always enjoy reading, hard to single one out. Maybe NO's '56 of the Month or Shlabotnik's ongoing TSR cards.

Cold cereal doesn't appeal much to me anymore but I'll occasionally have Raisin Bran Crunch. I was a bigtime Frosted Flakes fan as a kid.

Kelloggs' set... I like the 1972 Baseball Greats set. That Gehrig card!!.

Fuji said...

shlabotnik - haven't had fruit loops in years... although they were a favorite from my childhood. i'll make sure to keep my eyes peeled for corn bran crunch. always looking for something different. as for kristi... if i could only keep one, i'd go with her too.

sewingmachineguy - i know... that stuff shreds the top of my mouth

mark hoyle - love the 72's and 71's too.

zippy - glad you mentioned his blog... didn't have him on my blogroll, but now i do. cinnamon toast crunch is easily a top 5 cereal of all-time for me and japanese kellogg's cards? you're blowing my mind.

frankie - my mom would buy those, but just couldn't get into them.

matthew - thanks for sharing... i'll have to go back and check out tony's posts. nothing wrong with being a free agent when it comes to eating cereal.

gca - never heard of quisp! gotta google it. i'm so jealous of those guys who make custom cards. might be for the better though, b/c if i ever figured out how to do it, i'd have no free time. wow. i'm seriously envious of your 70 kellogg's set. the jackson shouldn't be too hard to track down.

commish - was hooked on raisin bran in college... but don't buy it anymore. as for the baseball greats set... i love it!