30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, October 19, 2015

Flea Market Finds #96: Stickers, a Bobble, and some old Pepsi

It's been a few weeks since I walked around the flea market, so I woke up early yesterday and met my buddy at the Capitol Flea Market.  When I arrived on the scene, we were greeted by the longest line in the history of this flea market...


The weather was perfect... overcast and cool... so my buddy and I decided to wait it out.  After fifteen minutes or so, we finally made it inside and were ready to track down some hidden treasures.


I picked up a few items for myself, but before I get to them... I figured I'd show off a pair of baseball card binders I saw.  They were both laying around waiting for either The Shlabotnik Report or Night Owl Cards to buy them.

The guy wanted $7 for the binder on the left... and $4 for the binder on the right.  I almost grabbed the one on the left, because it had six or seven vintage cards, include the Hank Aaron All-Time Home Run King card from the 1974 Topps set.  I decided to put it back down... mainly because I was too lazy to carry it around.


Purchase #1:  Box of 1982 Fleer Stickers $1


Remember what they say... don't judge a book by its cover.  This might look like a 1981 Topps Traded set, but it actually contained over 100 Fleer baseball stickers:


I never really valued these back in the 80's and 90's... but in the past few years, I've really enjoyed picking them up when the price is right.  One dollar seemed fair to me.


I'm missing a handful of stickers for this set, but at least I was able to build the puzzle.


Purchase #2:  2002 Jim Kaat SGA Bobblehead $3



I'm slowly building up my bobblehead shelf in my office... thanks to people dumping theirs at the flea market.  I've decided that I'm willing to spend up to $5 for hall of famers, $3 for stars, and I'll buy almost any other bobble for a dollar.

The lady who sold me this bobble must have read my mind, because three bucks was the most I was going to pay for this bobble.


Purchase #3:  Four Pack of Pepsi  $2


Normally I wouldn't buy twenty-two year old soda, but these bottles commemorate the San Jose Sharks first season at the San Jose Arena.  I've wanted to add one of these bottles to my Sharks shelf in my office.  I'll take the other one to my classroom.  The other two?  I gave them away to my buddy.

Sometimes there are vendors who arrive or set up later, so when were were finished, we went back and retraced our steps.  There weren't too many new vendors, but one of them had these stacks of baseball cards...


Gotta love baseball cards held together by rubber bands.  Nobody was around, so I couldn't ask for a price.  Oh well... I can't really use damaged baseball cards from the Junk Wax Era.  That's it for today.

Happy Monday and sayonara!

5 comments:

Tony L. said...

Sure you could use damaged cards from the junk wax era. Don't you have a room that needs wallpaper?

Anonymous said...

It's funny, I've got a pile of those Fleer stickers still kicking around, but I don't know that I've seen the completed puzzle since 1982.

BobWalkthePlank said...

You should have waited around to get a price on the rubber band cards. I have a sneaking suspicion that it would have been way too much.

Man said...

OMG Love the Kitty Kaat Bobble-huge fan and he was great as a Redbird, great find.

Fuji said...

the chop keeper - i've seen them around at flea markets here and there... but haven't actually wrapped my cards in rubber since the early 80's. i got a little giddy when i saw these.

tony - lol... my dad and i removed wallpaper in my bedroom when i was a kid. i will NEVER use wallpaper again. but great idea ;)

shlabotnikreport - it was a pain in the ass to build. i won't even reveal how long it too me.

matthew - if I were to guess... i'd say a buck a stack. which btw... is way too much. honestly... if he/she told me i could have them for free, i would have passed. i might have taken one or two stacks, but the last thing i need is more junk wax cluttering my office.

bman - thanks... i was pretty stoked to find it and add him to my shelf.