30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, October 25, 2014

Nothing But Respect

On Wednesday I ran into an old friend and he was wearing a Kansas City Royals hat.  We started talking baseball and he mentioned that the twenty-nine year postseason drought.  The five minute conversation opened my eyes and really put things into perspective for me.

In terms of supporting a sports team, twenty-nine years must feel like an eternity.  Heck... I'm bummed that the San Diego Padres haven't made the playoffs the past eight seasons.  I can't imagine waiting an additional twenty-one years.

1985 Fleer #199

The last time the Royals made the playoffs, I was in the eighth grade, still watched Saturday morning cartoons, and was still waiting for my first kiss.


Rocky hadn't fought Ivan Drago yet and Mike Tyson was still waiting for his first title shot.



Buster PoseyMadison Bumgarner, Pablo Sandoval, and Kaley Cuoco hadn't been born yet.

Google Image

Elmo hadn't met Big Bird or Mr. Snuffleupagus.


Eazy-E, Dr. Dre, DJ Yella, Ice Cube, and the Arabian Prince hadn't formed NWA.


Nintendo had just released the NES in North America the day before game one of the World Series against the St. Louis Cardinals.


Google Image

And believe it or not... MacGyver had just started teaching people how to save the world with gum wrappers just a month earlier.

From where I'm standing... twenty-nine years is a very long time.  That's why diehard Kansas City Royals fans who have stayed loyal to their team for all of these years have my utmost respect.  I'm definitely pulling for you guys and your team.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

6 comments:

Zippy Zappy said...

You forgot that MC Ren was a founding member of NWA too.

Anyway good on the Royals for ending a 29-year drought. Although if history repeats itself (as it usually does) they won't see the postseason again until 2043.

CaptKirk42 said...

For us old-timer Senators fans we had to wait 33 years to get a team back (Montreal now is itching with 10 years of NO Baseball) so when The Expos moved to become the Nationals I was grinning from ear-to-ear and beyond. The 2012 and 2014 seasons of just Making the Playoffs is a pretty big thing here in the land of Polidiots. (Politics+Idiots)

Tony L. said...

You okay Fuji? Haven't heard from you in a while.

Fuji said...

My bad. Completely forgot MC Ren.

Fuji said...

I miss the Expos... but I'm happy you got your baseball team back.

Fuji said...

I'm hanging in there. Just one of those rough patches in life... nothing life threatening or anything I can't handle. I appreciate you checkin' in with me. I finally got around to publishing something after an eight day drought (pretty sure that's my longest streak w/o a post).