30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, September 1, 2014

Another Day Another Year

I'm at the point in my life where I don't need to celebrate my birthday.  I mean... sure I'll receive a few presents from my students, open a few birthday cards, go out to dinner a few times, and receive your typical share of text messages and Facebook posts.

Sadly... it's just not the same as when I was a kid.  Heck... even when I was in my twenties... I still looked forward to celebrating.  But today... as I turn forty-two... I'll be content just knowing I get the day off from work.

2010 Topps Turkey Red #TR70

Obviously when most baseball fans hear the #42... they think of Jackie Robinson.  But I'm always showing off cards of Jackie.  Today I wanted to do something different.

2005 UD Replica Legends Mini Jersey #JR

I decided to research historical accomplishments that people did at the age of forty-two.  Y'know... kinda compare myself to historical figures.

Here's what I came up with:

2009 Topps American Heritage Heroes #46

On September 14th, 1901 President McKinley passed away after being shot twice by Leon Czolgosz eight days earlier.  Theodore Roosevelt became the 26th President of the United States at the age of forty-two.  Umm... I don't think I've been the president of anything.


1983 Donruss Hall of Fame Heroes #11

On July 9th, 1948 Satchel Paige made his MLB debut for the Cleveland Indians against The St. Louis Browns two days after his 42nd birthday.  He pitched two innings allowing two hits and zero runs.  The last time I pitched was over fifteen years ago to a bunch of drunk softball players.  I don't see myself pitching in the Big Leagues anytime soon.


2000 UD Century Legends Legendary Signatures #KA

During the 1989 season, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar played the final twenty games of his NBA career at the age of forty-two.  He's technically not the oldest to play in a NBA game, but he's the oldest everyday starter to play in the NBA.  Let's see. I'm short, overweight, and my legs get sore after shooting a round of golf.  I'm more likely to pitch in a Major League game.

There were several other notable events accomplished at the age of forty-two:

  • Richard Raskin underwent sex reassignment surgery and became Renee Richards.  Two years later she played in the US Open as a female.  Although I'm happy with being a male... a sex change is possible.  The US Open is not.
  • Arlette Schweitzer became the first woman in the United States to be a surrogate mother for her daughter.  Odds of playing in the NBA > Odds of being a surrogate mother
  • Joseph Hazelwood was captain of the Exxon Valdez when it struck the Bligh Reef and dumped millions of gallons of oil into Prince William Sound.  Thank goodness I don't own a boat containing millions of gallons of oil.  And even if I did... I definitely wouldn't want to be famous for spilling all of that oil.

It makes me think what the next three hundred sixty-four days have in store for me... and what I'll be remembered for accomplishing at the age of forty-two.

What about you guys/gals...

Any of you accomplish anything cool at the age of forty-two?

Happy Monday and sayonara!

24 comments:

Tony L. said...

Happy birthday, Fuji!

The coolest thing I accomplished at the age of 42 is starting my blog and trading with everyone, since I turned 42 last December! :-)

Hackenbush said...

No, (The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.) but happy birthday!

Commishbob said...

That was 20 years ago for me. I can't remember.

:-(

Nick said...

Happy birthday, Mr. Fuji!

Daniel Wilson said...

Happy Birthday Fuji!

hockey kazi said...

Happy birthday Fuji

hockey kazi said...

For me, that was also 20 years ago like Commishbob--I can barely remember 2 days ago

shoeboxlegends said...

Happy Birthday! Mine's tomorrow but just my 32nd so will have to let you know in another decade ;-)

The Lost Collector said...

Happy 42nd my man!

Man said...

Happy Birthday Fuji, may you enjoy many more.

Dawgbones said...

Happy Birthday for a second time today Fuji-San! Hope it was a Great one!!

Mark Hoyle said...

Happy birthday

Greg Zakwin said...

Happy Birthday!

Corky said...

Happy Birthday Fuji

Brad's Blog said...

Happy Birthday! Enjoy the day off.. I am a good 14 years from my 42nd, but I'm sure it will be fantastic!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday - I turned 35 Today (first day of school) - I'm sure you've accomplished many great things as a teacher!

gcrl said...

happy belated birthday. i ran a marathon when i was 42. it was one of the best things i've done in my 40's, actually (so far).

Fuji said...

Congratulations! That's an accomplishment we all can appreciate.

Fuji said...

It's okay. You've earned the right to forget things. :)

Fuji said...

Can't wait to reach that age then. I'm always doing thing I'd like to forget. ;-)

Fuji said...

Happy Belated Birthday Ben! Very true. I'm sure if I had to make a list of accomplishments... most of mine would come from teaching. Hope you enjoyed your special day.

Fuji said...

Very cool. I can barely run two laps before I start wheezing. Can't imagine running 20-something miles. Congratulations.

Fuji said...

Thank you everyone for the kind words. Outside of going out to brunch with my family... it was a pretty normal day. But that's exactly how I wanted it. Have a great week everyone!

Ana Lu said...

Still some years to count before that.
I didn't know it was your b-day..but still hope everything was great and that you had a terrific day. Next year you'll have even more ;)