30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Sunday, February 10, 2013

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly #11: Mike Tyson

When it comes to boxing, Mike Tyson is the only boxer I have ever paid to watch fight.  In fact, he's the only boxer to hold my interest.  During the mid to late 80's, I couldn't wait to see his next match, because he absolutely destroyed anyone and everyone to enter the ring with him.

2010 Ringside Boxing Round One #74

The Good:

Iron Mike started his professional boxing career off with 37 consecutive wins.  In 1986, knocked out Trevor Berbick to win the WBC Heavyweight Title.  Within eleven months, he beat James Smith and Tony Tucker for the WBA and the IBF Heavyweight Titles to unify the division.


The Bad:

By the early 90's, Tyson had encountered several personal distractions: a car accident which sent him to the hospital, marital problems resulting in a divorce, and a street fight that left him with a broken hand.


Then in one of the greatest upsets in boxing history, James "Buster" Douglas knocked Tyson out for the first time in his professional career during the 10th round.


& The Ugly:

Tyson would bounce back to win four fights over the next two years.  But it was obvious that he wasn't the same.  More personal issues would force him to take an extended vacation from the ring.  On February 10th, 1992... exactly twenty-one years ago... Mike Tyson was convicted of raping Desiree Washington and sentenced to six years in prison.

His life has been an extended roller coaster ride.  He had a rough childhood, but persevered to become the youngest boxer to hold the WBC, WBA, and IBF Heavyweight Titles.  He went to prison, but bounced back to regain a couple of belts.  He bit of part off part of Evander Holyfield's ear and filed for bankruptcy, but went on to star in The Hangover and get elected into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

Mike Tyson is a human being.  We've all had our ups and downs.  We've all made mistakes.  But not all of us have been the heavyweight champion of the world or tattooed our face.

Okay... it's your turn:

Are you a boxing fan?  If so, who's your favorite boxer of all-time?


Happy Sunday and sayonara!

13 comments:

hiflew said...

I loved boxing as a kid, but I think it is a rapidly dying sport. MMA is much more entertaining to me now.

As far as my favorite boxer, I would have to say "Marvelous" Marvin Hagler. The Hagler/Hearns fight is still the most entertaining fight of all time.

Fuji said...

I agree. Outside of the recent Pacquiao fight, I can't remember the last boxing bout I watched. I wouldn't consider myself a huge MMA follower, but I've definitely watched more of their fights in the past five years.

I'll have to look up the Hagler/Hearns fight. 80's right? I might have seen it... or maybe I just heard about it. I'm off to find it on the internet.

Fuji said...

Wow! Great fight from start to finish... but especially at the start. I can't remember seeing a Round 1 like that.

Hackenbush said...

I grew up watching Muhammad Ali. Now that was when boxing meant something.

Commishbob said...

I used to be, many years ago. I had a close encounter with my favorite boxer, Muhammad Ali and blogged about it here.

arpsmith said...

I was a huge Tyson fan and after him boxing has just not held my interest.

AdamE said...

I've been a boxing fan my entire life. I remember watching guys like Lenard and Tyson with my dad as a kid. I even went to a Tyson fight once (all 46 seconds of it)

Boxing isn't near what out used to be. The lightweights and middleweights are good and most others are not. I still watch them all though because you never know when a fight is going to be an amazing one.

I also collect boxing cards so if you decide to get rid of that Tyson card please let me know.

Fuji said...

He was a little before my time, but I liked his personality. He seemed like the real entertainer.

Fuji said...

Anytime you meet one of the greatest in the world, it's pretty cool. When they're one of your favorites, it's even cooler. I'll head over there and check it out in a few minutes.

Fuji said...

Sounds like we're in the same boat ;-)

Fuji said...

I have a small boxing collection too... mostly early 90's stuff like Kayo, Ringlords, and All-World. Unfortunately, this is the only Iron Mike in my PC. If I come across another one, I'll let you know.

Jason said...

I'd have to say that Kid Dynamite is my favorite as well. My dad used to watch boxing here and there, but you couldn't not know about Mike Tyson when he started coming up. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! is one of my all-time favorite games(I play it regularly, and just played this past weekend). He was a beast in the ring, and he has an interesting personality. As he started having issues, I didn't think about him much. But since the face tattoo and being in The Hangover, I have come to appreciate him once again.

That card would be really awesome with his autograph on it. I wonder if there are any cards of him that are autographed?

Fuji said...

I grew up playing Mike Tyson's Punch-Out! Loved that game, but haven't played in years. You might have inspired me to take out my NES and play it.

As for autographs, I know he has at least a couple: A&G and Leaf. I saw a guy with one at the card show this weekend, but didn't as how much he wanted. My guess is that they're at least $100... maybe even more.