30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Frank Robinson, Spider-man, & a Milestone

What do these Spider-man comic books, a 1970 Topps Frank Robinson, and this post have in common?

They are all #700.

2nd Printing

Martin, Ramos, and 50th Anniversary Variants

In December, Marvel released the 700th and final issue of The Amazing Spider-man, which marked the death of Peter Parker.  This ended a 50 year run that dates back to March 1963.  Unfortunately, I haven't been able to acquire the original cover.  But I did manage to secure a copy of the 2nd Printing and three of the different variants.



Seven years later Topps broke the 700 card set barrier, when it produced the 1970 Topps baseball card set.  The 720 cards produced made this the largest set Topps had produced up to this point in their history.  And Frank Robinson became the first Topps card to be branded with #700.



As for me, I started this blog back on March 2nd, 2010.  It took me almost three years, but I finally managed to reach my 700th post.  During that time, my blog has had over 200,000 views.  Some of them are from Google image searches, but hopefully the bulk of them are from fellow collectors and bloggers who appreciate sports cards, comic books, and other collectibles like myself.

Thank you to everyone who's taken the time to check out my blog.  I created this blog to document my cardboard history... however it's evolved into something larger: hobby camaraderie.

Peter Parker may have moved on to greener pastures, but I'll continue to write posts.  My motto has always been... if you keep reading them, I'll keep writing them.

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

10 comments:

sg488 said...

Congrats,I love reading your blog.

Greg Zakwin said...

congrats buddy!

night owl said...

Yay for keepin' on keepin' on!

Congrats!

Anonymous said...

that is a pretty awesome accomplishment, great job and keep it moving! love the posts

The Lost Collector said...

Congrats!

JediJeff said...

Well done on 700. Can't say I have read them all, but I have enjoyed all the times I have clicked a link that took me here.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on 700!

...and don't worry, Peter Parker will be back somehow, someday... I'm betting $5 that it involves Dr. Strange in some way.

Fuji said...

Thanks everyone!

shlabotnikreport - I hope you're right. It just doesn't seem right to have a Spider-man w/o Peter.

Yankeejetsfan said...

I wasn't a fan of the Parker death at first. I even avoided Superior Spider Man for a while. After a bit, I picked a couple of issues our of curiosity and to my dismay, I fell in love with the story. It's nice that I can still be surprised by a story after all these years reading comics.

Fuji said...

I'm ashamed to admit that I haven't read the story yet. One of these days, I'll bust one of them open and check it out.