30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Nifty 90's Nostalgia #11: Inaugural SPx Editions

Once upon a time, SPx trading cards were cool.  They were thick, die-cut, holographic, and in my humble opinion... some of the coolest cards ever produced.  In fact, these $4 to $5 one card packs are one of the reasons I racked up the credit card bills in the 90's.

However... that was a long time ago.  Since then, SPx has lost its luster (at least for this collector) and no longer will you find me busting $5 packs.


That's why I decided to start my latest project.  My goal is to collect all five inaugural SPx sets and display them in a binder for my viewing pleasure.  Unfortunately, I had to start from scratch because I sold off all of the SPx singles I purchased seventeen years ago.

Thankfully, these cards don't carry the price tag they once did.  So far, I have purchased four of the five sets:

1996 SPx Baseball (60 Card Set) $10


1996 SPx Basketball (50 Card Set) $18.30


1996 SPx Football (50 Card Set) $10


1996 SPx Racing (25 Card Set) $11


And as I approach the final leg of this project, the only one I'm missing is the 50 card 1996-97 NHL set.  I discovered a stack of these cards in the collection I purchased and currently have 37 of the cards.  Since I purchased the first four sets, I figured I should try to build the final one.

Does anyone have any 1996-97 SPx Hockey singles?


I have plenty of doubles, so if you too are building this set... let me know and maybe we can work out a trade.

So what about you...


Were you a fan of the inaugural 1996 SPx products?

Happy Hump Day and sayonara!

11 comments:

Chris P said...

I LOVED SPx!! I vividly remember waiting for these to come out plunking down 5 bucks at my local card shop (for 1 card!!! Crazy at the time) and pulling a Hakeem Olajuwon. I loved the die cut hologram set and though I never bought another pack, I made sure to add a Penny to my collection!

Fuji said...

You were smart. I couldn't stop at one... I kept buying & buying & buying. It really got bad when I hit the gold parallels and holoview inserts.

Anonymous said...

Now that's a good looking Gwynn!

sg488 said...

Loved the Hologram SPXs,I got the Football set ,now need to get bsk/bb sets,wish I could find them as cheap as you did.

Fuji said...

Yeah... one of my favorites.

Fuji said...

I picked them up on eBay. Wait for people to list them with low BIN prices... that's how I picked up the racing and baseball sets. I waited for 99cent auctions on the other two.

Jason said...

I loved the inaugural SPX hockey set. I think I bought only 3 packs of it. In the last pack I ripped(the year they came out), I pulled a Gretzky autograph! That was the best pull for me ever! Unfortunately, the girl I was with at the time ended up with it, as we broke up shortly after, and I didn't want to claim it(would've been a real pain in the ass). Nice memory of my greatest pull, not-so-great memory of when I lost it. :(

Fuji said...

Wow. Great pull and tough loss all in one. You're a better man than me... I would have chased down that Gretzky!

Anonymous said...

Email me your address I have a couple you can have.

SanJuanLaw@gmail.com

Fuji said...

Thanks... appreciate the help.

Chuck's Used Cards said...

Fuj,

I got a hockey SP to trade. I may also have some of your other wanted cards.
Hit me up.

Chuck's Used Cards