30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, January 31, 2013

Coop, Pudge, & the Other Guy

Last weekend, I picked up a card I've been interested in buying since I started collecting in the 80's.


1972 Topps #79

Seriously... who doesn't want the rookie card of a HOFer?  Coop was pretty good too: 5x MLB All-Star, 3x Silver Slugger Award Winner, and 2x Gold Glove Award Winner.

I'm embarrassed to say that I have no clue who Mr. Garman is.  But that's okay.  I'm stoked to add this card to my PC.  

But it won't be going into my rookie card collection.  Nor will it be headed into my vintage card binder.  

So where am I planning on putting it?  Need a hint?  Take a look at the back of the card...


Yep... it's the newest addition to my damaged card collection.  Card number.  Who needs a stinkin' card number?

Okay... it's your turn:

Do you remember Mike Garman?

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

18 comments:

Hackenbush said...

Did he invent the GPS?

night owl said...

Garman was a relief pitcher for the Dodgers in the late '70s when they were in the World Series. I can't say I remember watching him on TV. But I do remember his 1975 Topps card. He was with the Cardinals then. It was a card my brother had.

Unknown said...

Man, still a nice card. And I can say, that without that post, I wouldn't have known who Garman was either - or that he even existed.

jamicfin said...

Yay! Education!

Anonymous said...

I don't so much remember Mike Garman as a player, I just remember him as a mid-to-late 1970's baseball card subject. Sorry, Mike.

Commishbob said...

I'm almost positive I saw the guy pitch. I went to a lot of Astros games in 1974. I was about to graduate from college that summer and dating a girl who loved the Cardinals. So if he pitched in the Dome for St. Louis, I'm sure I was there at least once.

I have no memories of the guy, but I have a lot of her.

Fuji said...

;-)

Fuji said...

It's awesome how we remember certain cards because other people owned them.

Fuji said...

Thanks G. Glad I'm not alone.

Fuji said...

I don't think he feels too bad. He gets to share a rookie card with the two other guys ;-)

Fuji said...

Important to have those special memories ;-)

Fuji said...

Wow... that's pretty cool. There's one for $6.99 on Sportlots.

Mark Zentkovich said...

love low grade vintage stuff!

sg488 said...

Why do you collect damaged cards?

gcrl said...

Mike garman is a member of the 1978 Topps dodgers so not only do u know who he is but I have all of his cards.

Fuji said...

Me too. I call it cards w/character.

Fuji said...

Good question. I'll have to write a post one of these days giving you the complete run down. Until then, I'll just give you a summary. I hold onto all of the damage cards I come across through eBay purchases, card trades, COMC purchases, box breaks, etc.

I don't actively trade or buy a damaged card. My damaged card pc is full of cards that were unpleasant surprises (except for the gifts other collectors have given me). It boils down to... nobody else would want them and the cards are better off in my "damaged card" binder, than in the trash.

Fuji said...

Love your custom 1978 Topps Dodgers cards... might need to check out the Garman.