30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Thursday, August 6, 2020

Miscut Mayhem

This week has been a little chaotic as the new school year approaches and I'm running around trying to prepare myself for my latest teaching adventure.  Unlike last year's distance learning experience... this year we'll be starting the year off with kids on the other side of the computer screen.  This presents additional challenges like getting to know them and developing chemistry.  But this isn't a teaching blog, so I'll keep the whining to a minimum.

I'll also be keeping this blog post's length to a minimum as well as I have several items on my "to do" list.

This morning I was digging through my scan folder and found this card:

1973 Topps #305

Five years ago, I was planning a series of posts called "Miscut Mayhem".  That obviously never happened and this card was forgotten until today.  But when I saw the word "mayhem" as part of the scan's name... it called out to me and the status of the world we live in.  


I wish I could give you some background history on the card, but I have no idea how it came into my collection.  However... I always enjoy a miscut card... especially a vintage one featuring a legend like Willie Mays.

Well that's it for today.  Hope all of you are enjoying your week.  I realize that I haven't responded to comments in a few days.  The plan is to sit down this afternoon and take care of that as soon as I wrap up all of my chores.

Happy Thursday and sayonara!

11 comments:

The Angels In Order said...

That's a beauty!

Big Tone said...

I wonder who's got the other card?

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

Big Tone is on to something there. How cool would it be to actually have the cards from above and below that Mays? Be safe my friend.

The Lost Collector said...

Good luck with this school year!

bbcardz said...

I'm so glad current card manufacturing processes have pretty much eliminated miscut cards. Can you imagine how much complaining we'd see if people pulled miscut Mike Trout or Luis Robert cards?

Fuji said...

the angels in order - i know, right?

big tone - i know. we could put them together like a puzzle

johnnys trading spot - thanks. being distanced from people is really the only thing i like about distance learning

the lost collector - thanks. feels like i'm a rookie teacher all over again

bbcards - lol. i know. personally... i'd love it. the more miscut, the merrier

CaptKirk42 said...

Wow.

I'm sure some hard detailed research would reveal which cards were above and below Willie. I don't have the patience or the time to personally do that kind of research. The side to side is off center.

Dion's IP Autos only said...

Criminal to do Willie like that

Jongudmund said...

I have a miscut card from Fleer Tradition in 2001. It's on my "to blog" list.

Troublewiththecurve.net said...

Ahhh the old '73 Mays. I often wonder how the conversation went between Mays and the photographer for this card. Mays looks completely disinterested. The Mets would lose to the A's in the World Series that year. Mays would retire after game 2 which took 4 hours and 13 minutes to complete - the longest World Series game to date. He would enter the game in the 8th. The baseball great was 42 years old and had many feeling sorry for him as he floundered defensively yet he would manage the game winning hit that day. It would be the last hit of his career.

Fuji said...

captkirk42 - i did find some 1973 topps uncut sheets online, but trying to spot mays was like playing where's waldo and it started hurting my eyes

dion's ip autos only - lol. yeah, just imagine being a kid and pulling that card from a pack.

jongudmund - i feel like the newer miscut cards are much more rare. quality control definitely improved in the 90's and after that

troublewiththecurve.net - wow. didn't know the fact, but it's a good one. i know that he has a 1974 topps card in the world series subset. i'm guessing it highlights that hit.