30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Monday, June 29, 2020

What's in the other box?


Card shows have started popping up again... which is a good sign as long as people are respectful of each other's space and taking precautions like wearing masks and using hand sanitizer.

The next card show in my area won't take place until October... and if we're in the heart of the second or third wave of this Covid thing, I'll probably take a raincheck and wait things out.  But who knows... maybe there's a vaccine and the world has been complete restored to normalcy by then.

Either way... I've got plenty of things to keep me entertained until then.  Last week, my COMC order arrived.

Let me repeat that.  Last week, my COMC order arrived.  Stay tuned for the highlights which I'll show off tomorrow.

I was also hit with several care packages... two of which I'll share in today's post.

The first package was a large flat rate box from my buddy Woody over at Sports Card Forum and Card Collector's World.


As you can see, this box was loaded.


Within the seven flat rate boxes and two padded envelopes, he managed to fit six sets and some cards for my PC's.


Here's a closer look at the sets he gave me:

1993 Upper Deck Baseball

This is one of my favorite sets from the 90's.  As you can see from my examples, the photography really makes this set stand out.  There's also a Derek Jeter rookie card, which is a very nice bonus.

1997 Stadium Club Baseball

Next up is this Stadium Club starter set.  Like the 1993 Upper Deck set, this set is known for the outstanding photography.  There are thirteen cards I need to complete this set, but it's nothing that a quick Sportlots order can't handle.

2003 Topps Opening Day Baseball Set

Back in 2003, I was out of the hobby... so I never opened up any of this product.  It was fun to flip through this set.  Woody actually sent me two of these.  The second set is short one card (#147 Jorge Posada).  Once again it's not a problem that Sportlots can't solve.

2003 Topps Opening Day Stickers Set

This is such a cool set.  It's a miniaturized version of the base set which features some sort of scratch and win game card on the back.  Hadn't seen these before... but very excited to add to my collection.

1990-91 Pro Set Hockey Set

The last set is the inaugural Pro Set hockey set.  I absolutely love this set.  It might be one of the most overproduced hockey card sets in the history of the hobby, but it features deep rosters, an above average rookie card lineup, and fantastic subsets.  Maybe one day, I'll review it for my readers.

If these sets weren't enough... Woody also hooked me up with some fantastic cards for me and my future students.  Here's a sampling of what he sent:


Woody is one of those collectors that I'll forever be indebted to.  If you ever wonder why I don't have any Red Sox, Patriots, Bruins, or Celtics cards... it's because they're reserved for him.

Thank you Woody for this very generous care package!

The other care package I wanted to show off today came from Shane over at Shoebox Legends.  If you aren't subscribed to him, take a break from reading this post, click on the link, and add him to your blog roll/reading this right now.  You won't regret it.  He writes about some very cool vintage and is the King of the Sports Card Flip.

Anyways... last week he emailed me to say "thanks" for reading and commenting on his blog posts.  He also requested my mailing address, because he wanted to send me a few "just because" cards.

A few days later, a heavy padded envelope arrived and inside were three awesome autographs:

2016 Topps Archives All-Star Signature Edition Buybacks

The first two are some buyback autographs of Kent TekulveTeke was a fan favorite during the 70's and 80's.  When I was a kid, I'd imitate him and his submarine delivery in my front yard with my Mama Fuji behind the plateGood times.

2003 Topps All-Time Fan Favorites Autograph #FFA-DL

Don Larsen is famous for being the only pitcher in MLB history to throw a no-hitter or perfect game in the World Series.  Sadly he passed away back on January 1st at the age of 90.

Thank you Shane for this very generous "just because" care package!

Well that wraps up today's postTomorrow I'll be recapping my COMC haul... and on Thursday I'll be showing off an "adult" robot card for your viewing pleasure.

Until then... I need some help.  I'm thinking about putting together a collection of signatures consisting of athletes who are the only people ever to accomplish a feat in their sportDon Larsen is the perfect example.

What are some of your favorite examples of athletes who would fit in this collection?

They can be "good" or "bad" accomplishments.  I look forward to reading your suggestionsThanks in advance.

Happy Monday and sayonara!

20 comments:

Rod (Padrographs) said...

rick wise pitched a no hitter and hit two home runs in one game

The Diamond King said...

Brandon Belt fouled off 16 pitches in a single at bat. I know it's recent, but it's still cool!

gcrl said...

Some generous packages there!
Heres 3:
Johnny vandermeer threw no-hitters in two consecutive starts.
Fernando tatis is the only guy to hit two grand slams in an inning
Deion Sanders is the only guy to hit a major league home run and score a nfl touchdown in the same week

sg488 said...

Fred Dryer 2 safeties in 1 game,Wilt Chamberlain 100 points in 1 game,Adrian Peterson 296 yards rushing in 1 game,and Matt Prater longest field goal in 1 game (64 yards).

Peter K Steinberg said...

Oh that's just a mean photograph to use on Dave Martinez's baseball card.

Robert said...

A few times I've mentioned on my blog about how Don Larsen really never smiled on his cards. That Larsen auto you posted with his big smile will forever change my perception of him, thank you for that!

Jeff B - Wax Pack Wonders said...

Love Kent Tekulve. My parents aren't big baseball fans but I know they watched the 79 Series and my dad especially enjoyed Tekulve. As far as Dennis Cook, insane asylums, as they were then called, were known to field baseball teams and play against local towns. This was about a century ago. Mr. Cook looks like he would have fit right in.

Others have already given some good unique feats so I can't think of any others off hand.

The Lost Collector said...

I wouldn't go within a mile of a card show right now...but fun when they come to you! I like that Larsen auto a lot!

Elliptical Man said...

Randall Cunningham threw a 95-yard TD pass and had a 91-yard punt.

Chuck Howley was Super Bowl MVP for the losing team.

Voting for the auto Don Larsen.

The Snorting Bull said...

Fernando Tatis with the two grand slams was the first thing that came to mind. Johnny Vander Meer with back to back no-hitters would probably be next on my list.

night owl said...

Joel Youngblood is the only player to get a hit for two different teams in two different cities on the same day. Now, good luck finding a certified Joel Youngblood autograph.

Swing And A Pop-up said...

Luis Gomez - most games played (as a position player) without hitting a home run...also never hit a home run in the minors either

Matt said...

Jealous of that 97 stadium club set. Loved that design!

Sean said...

Chris Davis and his 0 for 54 run I think is deserving of inclusion.

Love that photo on the back of the Dennis Cook 93 UD card!

Commishbob said...

Wilt..only to score 100 points in a game
Jordan-only to win MVP, finals MVP, scoring title and Def. Player of the year.
Frank Robinson...only player to win MVP both leagues
Jusuf Nurkic is the only NBA player to record a 5x5 game with 20 points and 20 reb
Tiny Achibald is the only player to lead the league in scoring and assists in the same season
Fred Dryer is the only NFL player to score two safeties in a game

Brett Alan said...

I have no idea whether there are certified autos of him out there (I'm sure there are non-certified ones), but Edwin Moses winning 122 consecutive races in track has to be up there.

Mario Lemieux scoring goals all five possible ways in one game--even strength, short-handed, power play, penalty shot, and empty net.

Rod Laver winning two singles grand slams. Also, Margaret Court winning a singles grand slam and two mixed doubles grand slams--one with the same partner for all four (Ken Fletcher in 1963) and one with 3 different partners (1965, with Fletcher, John Newcombe, and Fred Stolle). (No one else has three slams of any kind.)



Commishbob said...

"Mario Lemieux scoring goals all five possible ways in one game--even strength, short-handed, power play, penalty shot, and empty net."

That may be the neatest sports fact ever.

Fuji said...

thank you to everyone who made suggestions. a few of these guys, i already own autographs for... but the hunt is on for the others.

rod (padrographs) - i remember someone writing about this on their blog. maybe night owl? anyways... it doesn't look like he has a lot of autographs or any memorabilia cards. i might have to hunt down his rookie card instead

the diamond king - i remember that at-bat. and i might even have a belt autograph. i'll have to see.

gcrl - awesome stuff. gonna be hard to get a vander meer autograph, but i have an interesting alternative that might work

sg488 - i've cover the dryer before... so i have that guy covered. the rest are on the list... although not sure i can afford autos of wilt and ap

peter k steinberg - i figured if people are gonna show off the 1973 topps dick green card, i could show this one off too.

robert - never noticed that. i'll have to take a closer look at my other larsen cards

jeff b - there's a very good chance that the first time i ever watched teke pitch was in the 1979 world series

the lost collector - me either. and considering october is usually flu season, i doubt i'll be going to that show if it even happens

elliptical man - is randall the only guy to ever accomplish the 90/90 feat? i might need to research that. as for howley... i've added him to the list.

the snorting bull - both are on the list. thanks

night owl - not only do i want an autograph... i want to get that 1983 fleer card of him signed.

swing and a pop-up - oooh. i like it. he's on the list

sport card collectors - and i just completed it on sportlots. well... it'll be completed when the cards arrive

sean - oh man. i remember that streak... and i remember him ending it. it's on the list.

commishbob - ooh. jordan auto is gonna be tough. so is wilt's. but the other guys look managable.

bret alan - i like the challenge with moses. i have a lemieux. and laver will be another one i'll attempt to track down.

shoeboxlegends said...

You're welcome Fuji! I'm glad the three cards I sent were at least somewhat a fit for your collection. Really appreciate everything you do to promote and advance our hobby among the blogs!

Fuji said...

shoeboxlegends - thank you for the kind words... and the awesome autographs. much appreciated