30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Saturday, January 26, 2019

Live (Not Really) from the Local Card Show


Today's my first card show of the year... and it's the first time I'm ever writing a post from a show.  I'm sitting at my buddy's booth giving my legs a break.  So far, there's only one purchase I'm looking forward to blogging about.  The rest are your typical cheap relics and autographs.

I'll try to show off my card show goodies sometime during the week.  Today's post is a little late, but I wanted to tip my cap to the Cooperstown Class of 2019 and show off some signatures I've acquired over the years.

2013 Five Star Autographs #FSBA-EM

Although I'm more of a small hall kind of guy, I have no problems seeing Edgar get the call.  The guy was arguably the greatest designated hitter of all-time.  I have a couple of Martinez autographs, but this one is my favorite.  Back in 2014, I picked up this card for just under $7.

2013 Five Star Autographs #FSBA-MMU

I loved Mussina during Baltimore days.  Sadly I don't have an autograph featuring him wearing the black and orangeOne day.

1995 Signature Rookies Tetrad #72

Once upon a time, this card sat inside my low-end trade bait binder.  Sure glad I didn't trade this away for a Kurt Suzuki autograph or something.  Halladay doesn't have a lot of certified pack pulled autographs out there.


Huge props to Rivera.  There's no debating his place among closers.  He's simply the greatest.  Sadly I don't own an autographed card of Mo.  For the time being, I have to settle for this autographed book authenticated by Steiner.  Here's a closer look at his signature:


As of right now, his on-card signatures command triple digits... which is a little too pricey for me.  But 10 years ago, the same could be said for Rickey Henderson and Greg Maddux.  Maybe Topps will start flooding the hobby with his autographs too.

Rounding out this post are Baines and Smith who were voted in by the Today's Game Committee back in December:

2015 Topps Archives Fan Favorites Autographs #FFA-HB

2000 Fleer Greats of the Game Autographs #NNO

Okay... legs are officially refreshed.  Time to get back out there and buy some more cards.

Happy Saturday and sayonara!

12 comments:

SumoMenkoMan said...

Go get em! What show are you at?

Angus said...

Awesome that you kept the Halladay!

The Lost Collector said...

I haven't seen those Five Star autos. They are nice. Very simple, but it works well.

Commishbob said...

Rivera has a very nice signature.

Hope the show was fun!

Nick said...

Autographs don't usually please me in terms of aesthetics but those 2000 Greats of the Game autos are just fantastic.

Matt said...

Hope you found some great things at the show!

Henry Blanchette said...

Even with all the controversy surrounding Baines being elected into Cooperstown, I can't help but love that Fan Favorites autograph you have of him.

Peter K Steinberg said...

Nice collection of cards and books and signatures! Live blogging & tweeting is pretty difficult, but it's exciting too. Thanks for inviting us into the card show, kind of.

Jon said...

I see guys, and gals, on their phones at card shows all the time, now I'm wondering if any of them have ever been working on a blog post... probably not!

Collecting Cutch said...

This year's elected class has some very nice signatures among them.

acrackedbat said...

I can't comment w/o error from my phone. Blogging is out. GOTG autos are gorgeous. I purchased a box their initial year. The first pack I opened contained a Whitey Ford auto. Wish I still had that one but sold it almost immediately. I hadn't begun to appreciate the Old Timers. Now they're the biggest part of my collection.

Fuji said...

sumomenkoman - it's at the serramonte mall in daly city. it's not exclusively a card show. it's advertised more as a collectibles show, but there are about 10 guys with cards.

angus - yeah, i probably wouldn't have remembered if i did. but i'm glad i didn't because i doubt i'd go out and spend that kind of money on a logo-less autograph these days

the lost collector - it's actually a really cool autograph set. i've thought about building it, but some of the short prints command big $$$

commishbob - i wasn't able to find the two things i wanted the most: 1973 topps set and kellogg's sets. but it was nice hanging out and talking to friends.

nick - yeah... that's a fantastic set. there are several guys in that set who don't sign a lot. it was kind of the precursor to topps archives fan favorites autographs

sport card collectors - i didn't find anything too amazing, but there are a few cool additions. plus i purchased over 100 grab bags to dig through

henry blanchette - me too. in fact, the fan favorite checklists often focus on hall of very good guys... which is why i enjoy picking them up year in and year out. but every now and then one of the guys will get enshrined

peter k steinberg - i actually had no choice. i usually publish a post on saturdays at 3 and knew i wouldn't be home in time, so i brought my laptop to the show. this might actually be a regular thing from this point out.

jon - i was actually on my macbook... but i was using my phone as a hot spot. i have yet to ever publish a post on my phone. honestly... i don't ever see it happening, because i don't even like texting. writing a complete post on my phone would be miserable

collecting cutch - lol. maybe next year, i'll rank the new class's signatures

julie owens - i'm the same way julie. this post was written on my laptop at my friend's booth. never actually published a post on my phone. congratulations on pulling that ford. i'm sure you got good money for it.