30 Day Baseball Card Challenge

Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Garage Card Days

One of my buddies is living the dream.  He's a stay at home dad who sells sports cards to supplement his family's slush fund.  You won't find him on eBay or COMC.  He's not listed in BeckettNope.  He sells cards out of his garage.

And I'm not talking about Junk Wax bulk.  He specializes in high end cards with connections to people who bust an insane amount of product.  Plus he's one of the best I know at buying low and selling high.  It's really impressive.

I don't really bother buying a lot of stuff from him, because his inventory usually consists of cards you'd see in Beckett Top 10 lists and that's not really my thing.  But that doesn't mean I won't go over to his house a few times a year to check out what he has to sell.

Two weekends ago, I hung out in his garage and we talked about the Super Bowl, the Golden State Warriors, and of course... sports cards.  Although I didn't intend on spending much, I purchased one nice card for my collection.

However... before I show it off, let's check out some cards that caught my eye, but ended up staying in his garage:


Not the biggest fan of Bieber or the Kardashians, but it's not often I get a chance to see their signatures.


I can't stand the Cowboys, but this one of one Nike logo patch is sweet!


I've always wanted to own a Danica Patrick autograph, but not sure I need something this nice.

The final two cards I'll share are two I definitely could picture myself chasing...


The only problem is that these gorgeous one of a kind recreations are not cheap.  Maybe one day, I'll be able to work out a deal for one.

Until then... I had to settle for this card:

1997 Topps Rookie of the Year Autograph #NNO

Yeah.  I know.  I can't stand the Yankees.  But I have the utmost respect for Mr. Jeter as a player.  And let's keep it real... the guy is a Yankee's legend.  That's why when I came across this in my buddy's box, I quickly set it aside.


Autographs are one of my favorite things to collect and my favorite ones are the on-card, pack pulled kind from the 90's.  I'm especially fond of the ones that were tough pulls, like this card.  Topps inserted these Jeter autographs into one out of every sixteen Series 2 boxes (or 576 packs).  Now I'm not going so far as to say that this card is rare.  It's not.  Topps produced an insane amount of boxes back in the 90's.  But seriously... that's what made this Jeter autograph fall into my price range.

I was hoping to have my card show haul up today, but I haven't finished scanning the stuff.  Gonna try and have it up on Thursday.  One of the purchases involves junk waxYippee!  Stay tuned.

Happy Tuesday and sayonara!

12 comments:

Chris said...

That does sound like a great gig, and based on the few singles you showed off, your friend has some awesome inventory. I love the marble border of the Jeter auto. Great looking card. Hope your friend gave you a good deal on it :)

Jeremya1um said...

Dang, that’s a seeet Jeter. I feel the same way about the Yankee$, but for the right price, I would definitely jump on a Jeter autograph like you did. Congrats.

Johnnys Trading Spot said...

That does sound like your buddy is living the dream.

Matt said...

That’s a beauty Jeter! I am also liking the Bieber and Kardashian’s. Not fans of theirs just the cards

BaseSetCalling said...

Those Art-of-the-Ages cards kind of show where this Hobby goes straight off the rails. Rather than purchase a nice reproduction of a beloved famous painting and hang it on their wall to enjoy, card collectors want to purchase a 3.5" x 2.5" reproduction of the same thing and then try to explain to people why that is a better thing than enjoying a full size version, like normal people, because it is a 1-of-1 and I own the only one! In the whole world! Yeah, good luck trying to explain that to anyone. The vast majority of humanity would conclude that the owner was the only person silly enough to want it.

The Lost Collector said...

Whoa, does he have a card-shop like set up int he garage?

That Jeter is great, and one I've had my eye on in my search for an autograph. Smart to get it now before the HOF induction next year.

Matt said...

That card will really be special when he becomes the second unanimously elected Hall of Famer!

Peter K Steinberg said...

Wow that is a nice card and signature. like a few others have said, it'll appreciate appreciatively in a yearl

Fuji said...

chris - the stuff i showed off isn't even his high end stuff. these were just cards that caught my attention. as for securing a good price... i grabbed it for $150... which is the low-end ebay price. i wouldn't call it a great deal, but that's about how much i expect to pay for a jeter on-card signature

jeremya1um - yeah... i paid the most i was willing to spend. had he asked for $5 more, i would have passed. that being said... it's one of my favorite jeter autographs

john miller - he truly is

sport card collectors - me too. they immediately caught my eye when i was flipping through his stuff

basesetcalling - if i ever purchased one, i wouldn't even bother trying to explain why it's better than a full sized version. i know it's not. that being said... i love sketch cards... and in this case, it's a fully painted card. am i willing to spend hundreds of dollars? probably not. but if i found a painting i really liked for $50, i'd probably grab it

the lost collector - lol. nah. he's actually low on inventory. right now he has several super monster boxes. but in the past he's had tons of 5,000ct boxes scattered around his garage with a table for people to sit at and look through cards. i've bought a bunch of stuff from him in the past.

matt - yeah. the only way i could see this card losing value is if topps floods the market with his signatures

peter k steinberg - that's one of the reasons i grabbed it. figured it's not going to get any cheaper

SumoMenkoMan said...

You can’t go wrong with the Yankees legend. Nice pick up. You have the most interesting friends!

Collecting Cutch said...

That Jeter is a stunner. Such a big bold signature. The other cards are incredibly awesome too!!! If you see any McCutchen cards there...keep me in mind.

Fuji said...

sumomenkoman - i've been very fortunate to have a few friends within the hobby.

collecting cutch - i will do that. he actually focuses on football and basketball, but if i see any cutch cards i'll let you know.